• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Unhappy Families

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
Of course you don't need guys to see that reaction.
Half Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
Right now my rankings for the season would be:

1) The Eccentric Family
2) Servant x Service
3) Monogatari (Those recap episodes really irk me, and the arcs in series seem rushed compared to the light novels -- leaving out what I consider important character details)
4) Majestic Prince
5) TWGOK: Goddesses
6) Love Lab

Everything else I have dropped... Watamote I only have one episode left to watch, but cannot quite bring myself to actually watch it.

Based on recommendations, I will likely go back and try Gatchaman Crowds again.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
Hm. Looking ahead to the fall, there are a few shows I'm interested in. Let's see:

Kill la Kill: I really enjoyed Little Witch Academia, so I'm interested to see how Trigger will pull this off.

Golden Time: Mostly for the design, but the plot may work.

Galilei Donna: The trailer I saw looked awesome (particularly the animation) so I'd really like to see this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Well nice to see BAmboo has joined the "Tomoko is Moe" bandwagon that I a scad of commentators over at Crunchyroll and Anons over at /c/ 4chan seem to be on "gaba hey, gabba hey, one of us one of us"
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
My current ranking:

1. Silver spoon: One of the best series this year. The way they handled Porkbowl’s fate was absolutely pitch perfect. Not too sentimental, not too detached, but with Hachiken showing an external maturity and internal struggle that is fitting. I can’t wait for the second season next winter.

2. Watamote: Social anxiety has never been this funny and heartbreaking at the same time. I’d say that Tomoko is one the best characterized protagonist this year: she has a lot of bad traits but they are well-understandable if you can somewhat relate to her and it makes her endearing. This unforgiving depiction of a lonely loser is a great unique emotional experience.

3. Free: Overall very fun and enjoyable sports anime. I hope for more in the future, though I don’t think there is more to tell.

4. Genshiken Nidaime: Madarame and Kasukabe are the essence of the entire series and their awkward, heartwarming scene in the clubroom was absolutely beautiful. I wished there was more focus on the old group.

5. Attack on Titan: Despite the lack of maturity, sophistication and character depth, Attack on Titan is a fun thrilling action-packed ride with engaging mysteries. I really want to know the role of Eren’s father and most of all the motives and affiliations of the female Titan.
What I especially like about this show is the dark message it tells us: If you want to survive in a cruel world, you have to be the most cruel one by sacrificing your humanity and idealism. Win at the expense of losing yourself.

6. Eccentric Family: I watched this show due to the recommendation here and thought it would be up in my alley, but I honestly can’t see why it is loved by many. It’s original, has an interesting world involving humans, tengu’s and tanuki’s, addresses meat consumption from different viewpoints, shows dynamics within families, but then why is it … so boring?
I don’t feel anything from watching this nor can I relate to it. The surrealism, meandering plot and non-engaging monologues keeps me from being emotionally invested in its characters.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I am totally moe for Tomoko. Embarassed

I was avoiding Gatchaman Crowds because I watched the original (as Battle of the Planets) when I was a kid, and it wasn't that great even then, so who needs a reboot?

So I was a little shocked when the new show plucked out my expectations, crumpled them into a ball, and punted them into the sun. Thanks Bamboo for convincing me to give it a chance.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I was puzzled by this comment from Bamboo:

"For those who have been following along with [The Eccentric Family], the final episode is daring and wonderful."

Have you seen an early release of the final episode? Both Crunchyroll and all the "other" versions only extend through episode twelve. There's one more episode after this.

Oh, no, I foolishly thought it was ending there, and that the last one would be released as an OVA or something. Oops. Well THAT makes more sense.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
lilly_938 wrote:
Regarding Day Break Illusion, it's not Seira who's feelings are confirmed for Akari, but Luna's.

Guh, sorry, that's what I meant. I had her face in my head when I wrote that.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
So... I don't know how after that god awful 12th episode for Day Break Illusion that you still feel positive about the show. From thespoiler[ ass pull revival of Ginka to the villain actually following through on his promise of giving Seira her powers back and freeing Luna from her possession and worst of all this whole 'I'm going to break Akari down until she submits to me and then we can mate and become one'], the show managed to completely squander the interesting twists with Ginka, Luna and the others.

But the other big twists concerning Akari's backstory and Cerebrum's identity, it all just feels so uninteresting. I really feel lame doing this but it's been accurately stated on another site that this show has become a case of 'how to do EVERYTHING wrong in your grim dark magical girls show'.

I'm finishing this show but I don't understand how anyone else near the end like I am can feel anything other than disappointment from what could have been a great one shot series.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
So... I don't know how after that god awful 12th episode for Day Break Illusion that you still feel positive about the show. From thespoiler[ ass pull revival of Ginka to the villain actually following through on his promise of giving Seira her powers back and freeing Luna from her possession and worst of all this whole 'I'm going to break Akari down until she submits to me and then we can mate and become one'], the show managed to completely squander the interesting twists with Ginka, Luna and the others.

I should point out that spoiler[Ginka is still dead. The big halo over her head should make that clear. She even said that she was dead (people on the other side know everything). What we don't know is how she is there (though I'd guess the key given to Schrödinger has something to do with it).]

And why shouldn't he follow through on his promise? He had no need for the others. Most likely, Something Bad will happen if he succeeds with his current plan which will make letting them go moot. We'll find out in a few days... or I will, anyway, since you have apparently given up. Maybe the answers will be unsatisfying, but I'm going to wait for them before rendering judgment on this series.

I am actually more ambivalent towards Cerebrum now than I was a couple of episodes ago. I'm starting to suspect that there's a method to his jerkiness, one beyond mere self-satisfaction. But I could easily be wrong about that.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
So... I don't know how after that awful 12th episode for Day Break Illusion that you still feel positive about the show. From thespoiler[ revival of Ginka to the villain actually following through on his promise of giving Seira her powers back and freeing Luna from her possession and worst of all this whole 'I'm going to break Akari down until she submits to me and then we can mate and become one'], the show managed to completely squander the interesting twists with Ginka, Luna and the others.

I should point out that spoiler[Ginka is still dead. The big halo over her head should make that clear. She even said that she was dead (people on the other side know everything). What we don't know is how she is there (though I'd guess the key given to Schrödinger has something to do with it).]

And why shouldn't he follow through on his promise? He had no need for the others. Most likely, Something Bad will happen if he succeeds with his current plan which will make letting them go moot. We'll find out in a few days... or I will, anyway, since you have apparently given up. Maybe the answers will be unsatisfying, but I'm going to wait for them before rendering judgment on this series.

I am actually more ambivalent towards Cerebrum now than I was a couple of episodes ago. I'm starting to suspect that there's a method to his jerkiness, one beyond mere self-satisfaction. But I could easily be wrong about that.

I'm highly enjoying this series and I feel like episode 12 was one of the better episodes. spoiler[Everything Cerebrum did to Luna and Seira was to back Akari into a corner, and his plan worked! Why break your promise to a girl who could probably kill you? If you do what you promise, then she will feel obligated to go through with her part of the bargain. I'm also not entirely sure about Ginka. I mean the halo, unless I'm mistaken, was part of her transformation before she died. I'm willing to wait and see how they deal with her.]

Sure the series isn't Madoka Magica or anything, but it's still a good show. I, personally feel a larger connection to the characters of Daybreak Illusion more than in Madoka Magica, although that show is a lot better, Daybreak Illusion shouldn't be counted out!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Ginka has spoiler[always had the halo over her head. Her Tarot form was always an angel of sorts. This wasn't some kind of implication that she's dead, it's just likely that the Leguzario gave the two Sefiro Fiore people a deus ex machina and that she's going to be alive temporarily or for good, being we don't know their powers.]

If Cerebrum was an actual villain and not some 'Joke's on them, I was only pretending to be evil' then we'd have a different story here, but the producers will have shown absolutely NO creativity on their part with Cerebrum and it seems to me they put twists in the show for the sake of seeming edgy and cool. With Luna and Seira in the state they were, it had meant there was nothing to stop Cerebrum from completing his goal and now that spoiler[they are free, Ginka is alive again and the leaders seem to have had their tarot powers released, it would imply that whatever Cerebrum is doing will either A: topple over the control the Leguzario have and give him all the power or B: destroy the world.]

But this is a show made by a committee, one that is seemingly unable to stick to 3 or less ideas and STICK TO THEM, rather than continue to come up with new idea after new idea and then toss them aside. What happened to the spoiler[daemonia counterparts attacking their elements counterparts? Oh, we can abandon that for two episodes because who cares.] Oh, since spoiler[Luna was infected with daemonia powers, she's maintained some of those because of some reason the show feels unnecessary to explain.]

They continue to use tropes that we've seen in past shows and when they do something NEW, they COMPLETELY fail to explain the idea. Those two I mentioned before were SOMEWHAT brilliant but how shocking, they just do stuff in this show without seeming to put any thought into it.

I hope my ranting doesn't come off as anything hostile, it really is just ranting about my beef with this show and its inconsistency. One moment it'll be on a high, having something REALLY cool and brilliant in terms of a new idea and then... It'll just forget it was ever established. It's not like say, Guilty Crown, which clearly had ideas it was going to explain and give details about but COULDN'T because it ran out of episodes before the committee working on the show could decide on what ideas needed to be fully completed. At least 2 or 3 plot threads on this show have already been established and forgotten about and it's made me lose any faith in the ending for this show being anything but 'predictable and boring'.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm highly enjoying this series and I feel like episode 12 was one of the better episodes. spoiler[Everything Cerebrum did to Luna and Seira was to back Akari into a corner, and his plan worked! Why break your promise to a girl who could probably kill you? If you do what you promise, then she will feel obligated to go through with her part of the bargain. I'm also not entirely sure about Ginka. I mean the halo, unless I'm mistaken, was part of her transformation before she died. I'm willing to wait and see how they deal with her.]

Sure the series isn't Madoka Magica or anything, but it's still a good show. I, personally feel a larger connection to the characters of Daybreak Illusion more than in Madoka Magica, although that show is a lot better, Daybreak Illusion shouldn't be counted out!

This was one of the stronger things the show had going for it... 'Savior or Executioner?' was a HUGE thing tied into the first half of the show and pointed towards the series being this somewhat groundbreaking commentary on heroism and whether or not Akari was going to be able to shake up the system for the better...

And then we had the spoiler[tarot counterparts] thrown in and all attempts at depth, creativity and originality seemed to just walk out the door.

I will openly admit that I'm upset because Daybreak Illusion didn't become the show I wanted, one that exceeded my expectations of being something MORE than a 'me too!' knock off of Madoka, because I had a SIGNIFICANT number of problems with Madoka concerning what it did and didn't cover, though Madoka has the advantage of being made by a big name studio with lots of money and a well established team behind it.

I wanted proof that the idea of more shows in a sub genre was totally possible but... Daybreak Illusion strayed from attempting to establish its own identity in favor for doing what is the 'social norm' if you will.

Akari, Seira, Luna AND Ginka, among others, have been somewhat interesting character until the past few episodes. And it kills me to keep watching thinking about what could have been and being stuck with what we have instead.

I don't have faith they can explain everything in one last 23 minute episode. Maybe if it was extended for an extra 10 minutes but we know that will never happen because 'that's just how things are'.

Not enough projects get the chance to break through the established way of doing things in the anime industry like they should and the ones that DO either get swept under the rug (Just look at how barely anyone talks about Jinrui nowadays) or they botch everything in favor of a CONCEPT of 'closure' for their show, often failing to properly close loose ends and only leave a bunch of questions unanswered (A personal favorite, Angel Beats! comes to mind, even with the sliver of hope that more will come about someday is present).

Last edited by Kyogissun on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to check back on the halo. I thought it was like what Goku sported in DBZ. But if she had it earlier, then I'm wrong about that. I'll look that up when I get home tonight.

I also noticed that spoiler[Ginka's attacks seemed different than what she was using previously. I don't recall seeing that hammer attack before. I understand why Luna sported some new attacks, but what exactly happened to Ginka remains to be seen]. Hopefully the next episode will answer most of our questions.
Vylash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
i didn't even know there were any shows this season that weren't neptunia
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Alright. I checked back and spoiler[Ginka does indeed sport a halo as part of her normal battle outfit. So, I'm no longer sure of her actual state, because she may have been joking when she talked about how "people who've been to the other side know everything" (I think that's how she put it).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4