• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Sets Booklist Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamekoSlayer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
I still haven't gotten vol 14 yet. >< (What's wrong with me?) Anyway this is good news to see manga doing so well. Not suprised it topped off Naruto. Fruits Basket has been out longer in the US. Naruto was just introduced.
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
No, shoujo manga sells. Shoujo anime is a completely different story. Hence why there are tons upon tons of shoujo manga titles out in the market and very few shoujo anime series.

Besides as Ouran is a Shoujo Beat manga I have a feeling it will be Viz license so they can expand that DVD line from the one title they have on it now.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Which brings me to my next point......How many guys are actually reading this (Fruit Basket)?

Well I am not, but I plan too! For me it is a matter of time and money, but this one is definitely on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cerulean88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
there are many twists in fruits basket, which is why it's so popular. I don't think all guys will like it though but it really depends, though i have lots of guy friends who loves it. What i love about this series is the philosophy and the sophisticality of the characters that just encourages you in a way that you end up learning something from them.
hiimrisa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
No, shoujo manga sells. Shoujo anime is a completely different story.

I totally agree. Girls are more likely to buy a book than watch the anime. That's why a manga can make it on the booklist.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket also has an good assortment of male, teenage characters who are fairly easy to identify with and take strong, leading roles. That guys should enjoy reading such a manga is not really surprising - it's also, as was pointed out, got a certain level of sophistication that raises it above shoujo frilly silliness that pervades some popular titles. *cough*spoiler[I don't want to start an off-topic argument, so insert frilly silly title of choice here]*cough*
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Still, though...this is a *bit* sad. Viz spent a fudgeload on promoting Naruto and it's now at its peak, yet Fruits Basket still outsold it...what bitter irony. I'd pity Viz if I didn't despise their business practices so much. -.-

Don't feel to bad for Viz considering this is one of the two TP titles that can consistantly place in the top ten. Also you have to factor in that FB fans will buy it quickly in the first or second week (depending on when the bookstore gets it), whereas Naruto will probobly outsell it in the long run.
Quote:

Yes, some males buy Fruits Basket, but the majority of the fans are females. What I think this shows is how powerful the female demographic is in selling manga.

It's been well known the females represent the majority of manga buyers for quite some time; FB just happens to have gained a massive fanbase, so it's easier to see how popular shojo is with this one title.
Quote:

Which brings me to my next point......How many guys are actually reading this (Fruit Basket)?

I read it, but if I couldn't borrow it for free I wouldn't be buying the trades.
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm a male Furuba fan. Admittedly, the vast majority of fans of this I've met are female, at least around here -- but male fans do exist!

(w00t top 25! Very Happy)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The Fruits Basket anime was pretty popular and must have been a huge seller since FUNI even had a little campaign to try to get a second season made so they could license it.

Yah, I thought so too, at least it was popular with my circle of people. Anime smile

I thought the FB anime was very well done, and I actually thought the anime adaptation was better than the manga (and I credit the director, who for me made the Kodocha anime superior to the manga as well Anime smile).

I normally shy away from reverse harem-type manga, but for at least one consumer (me), my enjoyment of the anime got me to pick up the manga from vol. 1, especially with the knowledge that the anime ends somewhere in the middle of the manga story.

[Although I lost interest in the recent volumes and dropped the series after vol. 12 (it's really not the type of manga I enjoy I guess).]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bethachu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this mentioned in the posts (maybe I missed it?), but does anyone know why the volumes are being released so slowly in the U.S.? Last summer they blitzed us with one a month, now it's every 3-4 months before the next volume appears on the shelves. The title is obviously a successful one. So... Any insight?
Ghola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think Fruitsbasket selling well has less to do with it's being Shojo, and more to do with it just being very very good regardless of genre.

Think about how many girls have read Love Hina. Both were realeased in Japan at the same time IIRC and both won "Best Shojo/Shonen manga" respectivly that year.
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong (I wasn’t in America for all of this) , but my friend, who works in bookstore, said VIZ and Tokyopop were doing some sort of promotional thing for some of their manga, and therefore, a few titles (like RK and Fruits basket) came out once a month for a while.

I think Tokyopop stopped already (VIZ ran RK through to the end, While Tokyopop stopped after promotion thing ended) , so they'll be coming out normally now. One every three of four months.

I wouldn't call it all that slow. Putting out manga is seriously hard work, and takes forever. ^^
You should have seen the early days of manga....They'd come out once a year or two. (A few of the really old titles still do, like say, Steam Detectives. it's been over 10 years and there's only 8 of the 13 out. -_-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

I'd license a Shoujo manga and wait to see how it does before I'd even consider the anime. The Fruits Basket anime was hardly the best seller the manga is.

CaliSerenity wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The Fruits Basket anime was pretty popular and must have been a huge seller since FUNI even had a little campaign to try to get a second season made so they could license it.

Yah, I thought so too, at least it was popular with my circle of people. Anime smile

I'm not saying the FB anime was a flop or bad. I watched it and It sold very well. My comment on it not being a bestseller was comparative. While the manga is making it into the top 25 the anime did not have that kind of success. It wasn't one of the bestsellers of the year. It never made it on a DVD top seller list as some anime does. My point is the massive popularity of a manga does not translate into the massive popularity of an anime. The fact is (generally speaking) Shounen titles do better in anime form and Shojo titles do better in manga form.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Just to counter that, I think it is much harder for an anime DVD to make it on a DVD list, than a manga to make it on a book list. There is just more competition that is actually competitive in the DVD market.

And while some may say "kids don't read", the surge in the manga market makes a much bigger dent in the book market, than any kind of surge in a DVD due to anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:

I'd license a Shoujo manga and wait to see how it does before I'd even consider the anime. The Fruits Basket anime was hardly the best seller the manga is.

CaliSerenity wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I'm not saying the FB anime was a flop or bad. I watched it and It sold very well. My comment on it not being a bestseller was comparative. While the manga is making it into the top 25 the anime did not have that kind of success. It wasn't one of the bestsellers of the year. It never made it on a DVD top seller list as some anime does. My point is the massive popularity of a manga does not translate into the massive popularity of an anime. The fact is (generally speaking) Shounen titles do better in anime form and Shojo titles do better in manga form.

As someone who's tried in vain to follow fight scenes in shounen manga, I can easily see why. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4