• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Phoenix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
Your first paragraph is brilliant for comparisons, but I would add Harvey Kurtzman for his and Tezuka's innovative breath of subjects.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^How could I forget 2772? Yeah, I had to drop that movie too, its sheer terriblness was starting to implode my mind. Most Tezuka movies seem to e pretty good, but uuuugh, no one license this! NO ONE! Leave it alone! That probably means you, AnimeSols, don't get it!

Aw, I kinda like it, actually, though the old dub was pretty hard on the ears. If nothing else, it does have a great soundtrack and a pretty amazing first ten or so (wordless) minutes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
^
Two of those first ten minutes were the opening credits which were basically spent staring at a giant bird's arse. Not cool. The other eight minutes on the other hand were pretty cool, I'll give you that.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Best manga ever there is nothing that can compare to this only thing being of course that it isn't finished so that's a major negative.

This is the one thing you should just get even if you can only get it second hand.

I don't see any negative here, the stories are pretty much standalone, anyway. But yeah, it's a masterpiece to which only Tezuka's Buddha can compare, IMHO.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I remembered finding and reading the second story online, and...yeah. I think that was one of the very few times where I had no idea what to think of it. Ever heard of the phrase "mind f**k"? Yeah, that's what Future is like. While the content itself was good, and it certainly was creative, it was the presentation that left me with the question "holy crap what did I just read?". I don't need to tell you what went on. Go read it yourselves if you're curious.

I think JesuOtaku put it best in her review of the anime adaptation. She mentions not to watch the final arc (which adapted Future) alone at night. It was too hard- and definitely too expensive- to find the DVDs necessary, so I went to read the manga, and...you know what happened. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2