• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ping Pong the Movie: the reason live-action manga shouldn't exist.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Just watched it on Netflix. It's an incredible disappointment having seen Ping Pong the Animation, which is a modern masterpiece.

The portrayals, deliveries and costumes are too manga-esque while at the same time too real-world for it to be anything more than grating. The direction was terrible... The soundtrack is mediocre. The casting was fine... if you don't compare it to the anime. The visual effects were just good enough to not be distracting. I would say the second half was overall better than the first.

If you liked the anime I suggest skipping the live-action movie.

And personally I have never seen a live-action adaptation that was actually better than an anime adaptation, especially when the live-action adaption came first (like GTO). Often passable, but never superior.

[EDIT: Made the title slightly less long-winded. -TK]
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
And personally I have never seen a live-action adaptation that was actually better than an anime adaptation, especially when the live-action adaption came first (like GTO). Often passable, but never superior.

I do think the first Rurouni Kenshin movie is a better version of the material it covers than the anime is. That's the only example I can think of though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the upcoming "Bakuman" movie (but might wait to hear some word-of-mouth first).
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
I hated the Kenshin anime (was bored to tears), loved the live action movie (1st one, haven't watched the 2nd two yet).

I hated the Death Note anime (and manga, and live action show, honestly), loved the live action films.

Sailormoon (original) is a decent anime, and I do enjoy the manga, but the tokusatsu is by far my favorite.

Just because YOU haven't seen something you've liked, doesn't mean that something "shouldn't exist."
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Banken wrote:

I do think the first Rurouni Kenshin movie is a better version of the material it covers than the anime is. That's the only example I can think of though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the upcoming "Bakuman" movie (but might wait to hear some word-of-mouth first).

Only because it was one of the few live-action adaptations with a Hollywood-sized budget. It's the exception that tests the rule... That said, it came out more than a decade after the anime. And like I said, there's a bigger chance the adaption will be "meh" if it comes out first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1