• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All M3 the dark metal Blu-rays/DVDs Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
The point being made is that the show, if brought to the US, wouldn't warrant getting a dub made because even the Japanese audience is low.

That's still kind of irrelevant. Fractale sold all of 1frt and it still got a dub, it all depends on what kind of audience the licensee believes the show has, and I really haven't seen much momentum on this one.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Is this show the worst thing out there? Not by a long shot, otherwise I wouldn't be still watching it. But I can say for certain that for me it's only because it hasn't reached that threshold of being complete trash, mixed with its premiere being a day that doesn't have really anything else anime wise showing.

I gave up on this show being good about episode 5 or 6. The entire story is grating on the nerves. For a giant robot show they spend little time featuring the giant robots, which hurts it there. The characters are painful, and not in a good drama sort of way. They spend so much time trying to build up the mystery aspect that they spend almost no time giving you a reason to care about, let alone like, the characters. The quack scientist running the show is a common and infuriating trope. The show comes off very shallow as a feigned attempt at being deep simply by having the MC being a brooding loner.

Add the technical complications like the forgettable score, the mostly bland animation, it is not hard to see why few would be willing to shell out good money for this.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Rederoin, I meant that has enough solid fanbase to get released here with an Eng. dub. Obviously, it's often that if a show does well enough in Japan, it might get released stateside.

But we are talking about the JP release, which is doing badly. The possible dub has nothing to do with this.

The point being made is that the show, if brought to the US, wouldn't warrant getting a dub made because even the Japanese audience is low.

The point is meaningless as the audiences and what sells in the west is VERY different than what sells in Japan. It is a waste of time to look at Japanese sales if you are thinking about the west.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this show would do well in the west either.

Anyway, the biggest they made was airing it so much later than the other spring series. People probably don't even know it exists. Also, it doesn't have much of a presence compared to big titles like No Game No Life or Mahouka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2