• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Home Video Tops Spirited Away as Fastest to Sell 2 Million Copies in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
taster of pork wrote:
Frozen just keeps raking in the green, and Disney still hasn't said if they're going to make a sequel.

Between how no non Pixar sequels have ever been that successful

But isn't Frozen and Tangled basically Pixar movies. In name they are not, but the people behind the scenes are basically from pixar, are they not. You can basically say that both products came out of the same factory.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I only dislike Frozen because I have huge problems with the writing and character designs (I don't care if you're related, there is no reason other than laziness for Elsa, Anna and their mother to look exactly the same)

My main problem is how sexist Disney is over the whole thing. The reason it's called Frozen is because Disney thought the title being about a queen would mean boys wouldn't want to see it. Thankfully Japan was more progressive and called it by it's original, proper title "Anna and the Snow Queen". It's the same reason Tangled was called Tangled in America, but Rapunzel everywhere else. Disney blamed Princess and the Frog's failure on the fact 'Princess' was in the title. Rolling Eyes Yeah, seriously. So it's okay to make princess films so long as you don't have them in the titles.

Quote:
but other than that I'm absolutely mystified about its popularity, especially in Japan. They've got Frozen PS4s and there was even an Elsa nendoroid announced last Wonderfest.
I wonder if they're going to end up making some kind of series based on it like they did with Stitch.

I wouldn't take those merchandise as a sign of anything. American companies commission figures from Japan all the time even if it's not popular in Japan. There's a Nolanverse Batman nendo coming out despite those films not being popular in Japan. Business is business.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
And here comes Lavnovice9 with the typical downplaying post. Extra points with praise of Japan and critique of America. How they worked that one in is pretty amazing.

I'm not sure why select anime fans have such a problem with this movie. It really comes down to it's popular and it gets even worse when it's a popular western thing that has done well in Japan. It's like it's some upfront to them to have western animation be popular.

Either they are jealous of it's success and for some reason always need to remind us that they didn't like it. Or are for some reason insecure about thier narrow views on Japan and need to constantly remind us that "oh no the Japanese otaku fandom doesn't like it". Who cares? Quite frankly the fact that Japanese otaku fandom may not like it is a positive to me.

Either way it must be something, because the mere success of this movie in Japan brings ire to these detractors and these detractors all have something in common.

Seriously, run through any thread on this movie in Japan and the same people(like Lavnoice) are there to downplay this movie at any cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
People said they don't care Frozen isn't popular with otaku, yet here people are using supposed incest as a reason why it's popular in Japan,

It's a joke, don't worry. Laughing

Fedora-san wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

VHS was popular far longer in Japan compared to other countries. They were released up to the mid 2000s.

The Japanese wikipedia has 2.5 million copies shipped for the VHS of Spirited Away. It has 3 million shipped for the DVD so using the same ratio we get 2 million VHS sold.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/千と千尋の神隠し

Quote:
VHS(ブエナビスタ版) 250万本出荷

I suppose VHS/DVD was the DVD/BD of today. In that regard I suppose Spirited Away sold a lot more than people would assume. Perhaps other movies and shows which came out during the transition phase as well.

You're thinking since it's a transition phase, people who bought something on DVD (or in this case, VHS) then bought it again on Blu-ray (or in this case, DVD) once they upgraded?

Lavnovice9 wrote:

My main problem is how sexist Disney is over the whole thing. The reason it's called Frozen is because Disney thought the title being about a queen would mean boys wouldn't want to see it. Thankfully Japan was more progressive and called it by it's original, proper title "Anna and the Snow Queen". It's the same reason Tangled was called Tangled in America, but Rapunzel everywhere else. Disney blamed Princess and the Frog's failure on the fact 'Princess' was in the title. Rolling Eyes Yeah, seriously. So it's okay to make princess films so long as you don't have them in the titles.

Yes, once they bought the tickets and sat down, they'd realize it's not all that girly. The original title is what the film creator calls it like Wings of Honneamise is Royal Space Force and Wreck-It Ralph becomes Sugar Rush to better sell to Japan.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
@Lavnovice9 Japan's not a progressive country. It's perhaps the most conservative 1st world country outside of South Korea(not a bad thing). It doesn't have a progressive welfare system, nor does it have high taxes, a right wing party has always won, with a neo-conservative PM running this time, who tops the polls regularly, conservative family views, a traditional male based society and conservative views on foreigners. Oh and it borderlines with certain Arab(I.E Muslim) countries on how women are treated. Most people are conservatives in Japan. Having "Anna and the Snow Queen" is not progressive, it's a name change. Why do you always attack the US(maybe even Europe sometimes) but never Japan for name changes? Japan's not that good. If you want a good, progressive country, just check the Nordic countries or Netherlands, who outperform Japan and the US in almost every way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Frozen just keeps raking in the green, and Disney still hasn't said if they're going to make a sequel.
I'd bet the house that was already contracted at the first commission. That seems to be a basic Hollywood policy now. Wink
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:

If anything, I'd be surprised if it wasnt a world in Kingdom Hearts 3...
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
taster of pork wrote:

If anything, I'd be surprised if it wasnt a world in Kingdom Hearts 3...
That would be great, also.
Pangea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Sure Frozen cool movie, but not even fking close to Sprited Away. Jeez every fking news site is riding this hype tsunami.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:
... every fking news site is riding this hype tsunami.

Giving the sales figures is not hype, it is simply reporting news.
I do not see anything in the article claiming that Frozen is the greatest movie of all time, or anything at all about how "good" it is.
As is the case with some other people here you do not seem to understand what "hype" is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
@Lavnovice9 Japan's not a progressive country. It's perhaps the most conservative 1st world country outside of South Korea(not a bad thing). It doesn't have a progressive welfare system, nor does it have high taxes, a right wing party has always won, with a neo-conservative PM running this time, who tops the polls regularly, conservative family views, a traditional male based society and conservative views on foreigners. Oh and it borderlines with certain Arab(I.E Muslim) countries on how women are treated. Most people are conservatives in Japan. Having "Anna and the Snow Queen" is not progressive, it's a name change. Why do you always attack the US(maybe even Europe sometimes) but never Japan for name changes? Japan's not that good. If you want a good, progressive country, just check the Nordic countries or Netherlands, who outperform Japan and the US in almost every way.

Talking about the politics of a country you don't live in seems in poor taste. Most of the information you got probably came from overseas websites and was highly filtered and biased, as is most politics. I'd wager nobody here is an expert on Japanese politics or their culture so it's probably best not to try to make any generalizations or assertions.

Despite all this supposed conservatism, there's far more women in the manga and anime industry than here, far more cartoons and comics aimed at females than here, and far more female main characters in their media, and the stigma for female characters you find here seems non-existent in Japan. Comic creators like Takeuchi or Arakawa could never exist in our industry because of the rampant misogyny and boys-only mentality here.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Talking about the politics of a country you don't live in seems in poor taste. Most of the information you got probably came from overseas websites and was highly filtered and biased, as is most politics. I'd wager nobody here is an expert on Japanese politics or their culture so it's probably best not to try to make any generalizations or assertions.

Despite all this supposed conservatism, there's far more women in the manga and anime industry than here, far more cartoons and comics aimed at females than here, and far more female main characters in their media, and the stigma for female characters you find here seems non-existent in Japan. Comic creators like Takeuchi or Arakawa could never exist in our industry because of the rampant misogyny and boys-only mentality here.

Let me take down some of your points. Bias? Saying something doesn't make it objective. We as a country claim to be the cornerstone of democracy, but we get our asses kicked time and time by the Nordic regions and Luxembourg, countries who don't flaunt democracy, because saying=/=what you proclaim to be. Statistics and objective analysis is why we can't beat Luxembourg in democratic rankings, no matter how patriotic we are and no matter how much we deny it.

Conservatism neither claims to protect or take away women's rights, so having more women in certain entertainment industries doesn't mean anything or by your logic, Japan's women's record would surpass that of Norway, which it could never do. Oh and spare me the women treatment. People in Japan and elsewhere have complained about how the majority of women in anime are treated. Yeah, we should have more females, but as I say, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all, so actually, your argument hurts you as much as it does me. Realistically, although conservatism in moderation isn't bad, ultraconservativism is and when it comes to pay, etc, Japan compares to Kuwait, which isn't a good thing, for obvious reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Democratic_Party_(Japan)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Gender_Gap_Report
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Please keep the discussion focused on Frozen, sales figures, or something anime-related, not geopolitics, assumed cultural beliefs, etc.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Please keep the discussion focused on Frozen, sales figures, or something anime-related, not geopolitics, assumed cultural beliefs, etc.

Thanks, Tony. The ignorance and the anti-Americans sentiment on this thread is turning some people off including me from even commenting further. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3