• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku Shares the New Miku Expo LA & NY Theme Song with the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Suiseiten wrote:
Ok, so admittedly the whole Vocaloid thing was a tough sale for me. I'm still very much a novice, but found that the sound quality was a touch too robotic for my liking in this one. The song and the beat are great, but sound-wise (and it's not a language thing), I've heard others that are very clear and sounded almost natural. In both, English and Japanese. Dye (Granted it's Luka, not Miku) being an example of a clear bilingual song.

Though, I'm kinda liking that we're getting a preview of an experimental version.
how is Dye in any way a clear bilingual song? It's sung entirely in English and is so drowned out with the music that it's impossible to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
You guys are wasting your time going around in circles about the clarity of Miku's English/Japanese voice. A computer can more naturally pronounce Japanese syllables than English ones. There are approximately 400 phonemes in Japanese while there are over 4000 in English.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
#820168 wrote:
Also, you guys are wasting your time going around in circles about the clarity of Miku's English/Japanese voice. A computer can more naturally pronounce Japanese syllables than English ones. There are approximately 400 phonemes in Japanese while there are over 4000 in English.

Wasn't so much about the clarity of the syllables--
More that the character of J-Miku's voice sounds like a plausibly cute anime android/hologram, while E-Miku sounds like Betty Boop with a bad sinus cold. Razz
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
#820168 wrote:
I wish that Hatsune Miku's English voice had never been released because now we have idiots that are bastardizing her original image. Miku is Japanese and trying to Americanize/Westernize her leads to transference of American values like materialism, deception, violence, promiscuous sex, greed, and prejudice onto that image. I'm afraid this will lower the overall reputation of Miku among the general populace and deter potential fans.

Well, in fairness, I have found a few Japanese songs that seem to portray a darker image of Miku...
However, that aside, I agree that attempting to Westernize Miku was not the smartest move...

As for the other part of your statement, I decided to address that through private message.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
Suiseiten wrote:
Ok, so admittedly the whole Vocaloid thing was a tough sale for me. I'm still very much a novice, but found that the sound quality was a touch too robotic for my liking in this one. The song and the beat are great, but sound-wise (and it's not a language thing), I've heard others that are very clear and sounded almost natural. In both, English and Japanese. Dye (Granted it's Luka, not Miku) being an example of a clear bilingual song.

Though, I'm kinda liking that we're getting a preview of an experimental version.
how is Dye in any way a clear bilingual song? It's sung entirely in English and is so drowned out with the music that it's impossible to hear.
It is mostly English, but there are a couple lines that are done in Japanese. They're kinda toward the end. For the most part, I was able to hear it a little clearer after the playthroughs of Project Diva f in pursuit of even a standard grade in the hard setting of the game. Yes, the background is louder than Luka, but after awhile, it's easy to pick up clips and phrases. And the voice is a clearer quality for me. I can understand that it may not be the best example for some people, but for me it was the first one that came through my mind.

Admittedly, most of my interaction is through the game Project Diva f so it may not have been "perfect" example. Also, I wish to thank EricJ2 for his explanation on some of the robotic nature. It definitely helps put some perspective to something that is pretty much new to me.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
FREE my soul Miku!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Some languages just don't work as well high-pitched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2