• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Trigger (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
Season 3 (4?) Ep 8

Go Hyuse! 'Bout time someone confronted Chika head-on about her inability to shoot people. And now we finally find out why! So much more nuanced a reason than I was expecting, and very believable. Not sure if her getting over it will be too sudden yet, but considering the care they took developing this, I'm hopeful.

Is this season 3, 2nd cour, or season 4 as the Encyclopedia lists it?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has it listed as Season 3.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:09 am Reply with quote
Is there being any noticeable improvement with the show? I stopped about 3 episodes into the season, deciding that I have not really been excited with the show before, so I was unlikely to change now. Especially with how long plot generally takes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:08 am Reply with quote
@Dusky: Well, I'm not sure what it is that's lacking for you overall, so it's hard to say. I guess if you don't enjoy the Rank Wars, then you're probably right to skip it. If it's the pacing, that's about the same as ever. I've been satisfied so far.

Beltane70 wrote:
Crunchyroll has it listed as Season 3.

Oh, it's much more complicated than that. ;D
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:33 pm Reply with quote
ANNOYING, PATHETIC, LAME.

This is how both the main lad and main lass are basically the whole time.

For example, it took like 100 episodes for the main lass to actually become useful while the authors have given her completely BS reason to not be able to shoot at virtual (!) characters, which is laughable, lame way to create fake drama out of nothing.

Main lass is also written as unrealistic in other aspects: first it was explained that she has faced aliens for many years and ended up fine, and she has also trained against them in VR rooms, but then in combat she is shown to be paralysed, crying, making round eyes and opened mouth scenes, which makes no sense.

She is also said to know where aliens are when they are near enough to her and yet turns out completely useless in the events of the anime, never pointing the direction/place they are coming from.

The lass is shown to have so-called "club feet", which is a severe condition that should prevent her from running/moving efficiently and yet this not how it is portrayed, which is absurd.

The main lad is boring as a person and a truly mediocre as a fighter. The authors are trying hard to make him some tactician genius while there is nothing special about his reasoning beyond what e.g. the main alien lad, who is also smart, could think of.

And the lad is written out to be self-degrading, self-abasing, for no reason, in the front of alien Xeno lad, which is a facepalming situation; zero self-respect often provides zero respect from viewers.

The main glasses-lad's voice actor sounds cute when he talks but not when he is screaming which is mostly whiny/hysterical to the annoyance level. Reminds me of his Eren Jaeger role in Attack on Titan anime: the character there is also supposed to be reasonable since he is serving in a militaristic organization, but yet has pathetic outbursts that not realistic for this setting. That screaming voice of the lad fits more to characters like Haruyuki from Accel World anime, where he is just a regular wimpy school boy.

Even the main alien boy, though he is still much better than the other two, towards the end of the anime was downgraded from being a fighting genius with a vast experience of real battles to be struggling with a C-level little girl and winning against her only thanks to the main lad's wires (or, priorly, thanks to "lead bullets" magic).

The main alien boy says he does not need to sleep since he has a virtual body, but it is ridiculous since the story is that the real body still exists during such transformations, and thinking/mind activity can not be detached from the brain which absolutely requires sleep to memorize anything beyond short memory.

And it makes no sense again, since the boy's virtual body is getting hungry, even though not requiring sleep.

The main alien boy's voice actress is perfect. She does great potty mouth voice expressions as well as cute "hmm-hmm" sounds. And she is age-appropriate for the character (who is 12 in terms of "body" age).

Other characters are way less fake, there are no stupid, stretched constraints on them to invent drama (which is a result of lazy writing practices). In fact, many of them good characters and genuinely likeable.

The little child on-top of capibara is maybe the best character of the anime. Smile
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Overall, the anime goes relatively well until approximately episode 24 where it becomes TOO stupid.

It turns out that "Border" is written by the authors as an organization of imbeciles: it did not provide novices with an spoiler[evacuation/ejection] system -- so that aliens would have a way to capture them.

Then it turns out that HQ does not spoiler[hear] what its soldiers says, which is absurd. And then supposedly an A-ranked soldier is written to be dumb, so she wastes time talking instead of evacuating from the danger.

Though even before that, the anime was dumb in some major points like the idiocy of not accepting proven spoiler[ally aliens] (this would never happen in real organizations like that) or wasting "spoiler[Black] Trigger" left laying somewhere useless instead of given to soldiers to fight with.

Even though alien invasions happen near HQ, most A-teams are always all of a sudden somewhere away for no other reason than to create a fake lack of forces "pinch" for novices to be engaged in dangerous situations.

Random people are allowed to visit HQ meetings and departments uninvited and without clearance, which is absurd.

It is absurd that alien robots can be destroying simply by slashing their "eyeballs" which are all of a sudden open and unprotected for any attacks.

The authors have made up another BS limitation about soldiers not being able to use their own magic wands, e.g. "Black Trigger) during ranking tournaments, even though the whole point is be to find out the most competent fighters to be used either in defence or in away missions.

It turns out that Rank tournament is also absurd since it allows various number of team members but all of a sudden most team do not care to have more firepower and have fewer members than possible.

The anime's tournament gets unexciting in S2 where viewers are supposed to care about some B-team characters that are only there for a couple of episodes, and, even worse, some of them are really unlikeable and yet viewers are fed with even flashbacks (anime's cardinal sin) about their history.

Episode 49 is also among the dumbest, since the only team member that can actually fight, the alien boy, was sent to do meaningless tasks while the main glasses-lad is shown fighting just as lamely as ever and the cute little lass is doing nothing useful other than exposing herself for alien hunters. Besides, instead of killing alien criminals, they are helping them for no reason at all.

By the episode 58, the whole concept of energy source and balance was thrown away since an enemy alien is shown to use out of proportion "Trion" for no reason.

Episode 62 is another stupid one since the characters pretend to be locked in a giant Trion shell even though there is no energy in people to maintain it in any significant strength and, more importantly, even if it was a reflective layer there is no issue with the little lass hooting at it a correct angle so the reflection would not hit them back.

* Visually, this anime belongs to a rare (for an anime that is not for little children) wide/pumpkin-head drawing style. Also, some characters like the main little lass have a frog-like mouth line. The arches of the glasses all of a sudden become transparent when characters' faces are drawn in profile. Some characters do not have iris or pupils, which makes no sense since they are supposed to be human.

* Endless tobacco cigarette smoking is as disgusting and immoral for a children-targeted show as ever.

* The "Japanese" that the show is using is really terrible. Riddles with too many Americanisms. Just peddling the supposedly fashionable/hip/cool way to say things and further spreading the ugly jargon.

* This anime has also double narration in the beginning of episodes, which is the first time I have seen this; really weird. Also, this is the first anime I have seen where "opening" song is consistently made to appear in the middle of episodes instead.

Besides, every event of note can be shown up to five times:
1. when it happens
2. in the episode's rehash at the end
3-4. in next episode's double narration in the beginning
5. then it is shown again as in #1
This structure would be great for an educational anime, if there was such a thing. Then children would have learned something actually useful rather than this.

As a result, "half-hour" episode actually takes just ~15 minutes of actual anime. Though this is typical for ongoing manga projects to not make air skips too big. Sometimes, like with One Piece, it allows to not make air time skips at all and even rarely requires fillers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19