• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girl Friend BETA (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I enjoyed this episode more than the first, even if it's a typical "girl who looks great thinks she needs to lose weight" plot.

I think 9 out of 10 watchers groaned when they discovered they were watching a "I need to diet" episode. That scene near the beginning where Kokomi was getting on the scale really did make her look quite chubby. And later drawings showed her as much slimmer, and in her leotard in the competition she looked quite fit. Quite nice actually.

It was disappointing not to see any gymnastics animated. Boo.

What was a bit more of a surprise is that Miyoshi actually came up with some good advice. Usually anime makes a total hash of diets and spews nonstop misinformation. It ends up being pretty annoying to those of us who actually know something about it.

Overall, a pleasant little story. Nothing earthshaking but we have too many anime to watch this season that does that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I can't believe I am saying this, but this anime episode with cute girls totally bored me. It felt so kind of mind numbing and groan about a diet that I actually started playing my 3DS, sadly reading made it a little hard to focus on the Smash Bros.

Yes Love Live did a diet episode, but at least those characters are interesting. I am finding it a little hard to really believe this characters. Her friends say that they can spoiler[understand why someone would want to keep it on the down low, but they talk about it loudly and told other people].

Does a teenager in this day and age really go spoiler[to their library to learn about dieting]? Pretty much everyone would spoiler[use the internet].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Does a teenager in this day and age really go spoiler[to their library to learn about dieting]? Pretty much everyone would spoiler[use the internet].

What was even more surprising is that it was readily accepted that a school library wouldn't have any good books on diet. What kind of shitty library is that?

There are a lot of bad books on dieting. My rule: leaf through it and it says anywhere that you should "limit your saturated fat and cholesterol" you can safely conclude that the author has no idea of what they are talking about. That covers about 90% of what is printed in mainstream media, which is progress because it used to be 100%.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Not many people care to comment on this I see.

Episode 4 talk about frustrating. Those girls were NEVER get around to studying.

I'm a bit sensitive to abandoned cats right now since we had a litter show up at our office recently. They were feral and we had to trap them. It was quite stressful since they weren't adoptable all we could do was have them fixed and release them again. After I let them go a few weeks ago they took off and I haven't ever seen them again. They are probably dead.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who abandon cats or dogs. So this episode wasn't all that appealing to me.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
there's not really much to say. Dusky is in charge of the pointless summary, so that pretty much leaves one liners such as "meh, it was ok" and that's against the rules and doing it for 13 weeks straight would also get boring.

my useless comment of the week was it was so painfully boring that it took me 35 in just to watch the episode
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I'm a bit sensitive to abandoned cats right now since we had a litter show up at our office recently. They were feral and we had to trap them. It was quite stressful since they weren't adoptable all we could do was have them fixed and release them again. After I let them go a few weeks ago they took off and I haven't ever seen them again. They are probably dead.

There's a stray living around the bunkhouses where I work. We got our cat from one of its litters several years ago. There've been subsequent litters, of course, but when there were no takers they had to be... 'taken care of.'

Anyways, this show is entertaining enough that I haven't dropped it, but there really isn't much noteworthy to comment on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
there's not really much to say. Dusky is in charge of the pointless summary, so that pretty much leaves one liners such as "meh, it was ok" and that's against the rules and doing it for 13 weeks straight would also get boring.

Wait, I did not get that memo, I totally forgot to do a pointless summary last week. Did I manage to get this role from excellence in pointless summarising? I want a badge to flash whenever someone tries summarise an episode.

Episode 4

Remember children, if you spoiler[leave something to the last minute you will still get exactly what you want despite that you kept putting things off]. Now they can apply such life lessons spoiler[to looking after living creatures]. Lets ignore the fact research says that for spoiler[preparing for tests it can be bad for retention to learn new things the day before the test, especially the night before]. Not that I can actually say that I have been a good example.

I will give a summary of my thoughts on an episode, but don't expect me to say much of a series like this that feels pretty hollow.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

What do you know, spoiler[Miss Monochrome] made a cameo in this series too. Although with the last one spoiler[she appeared in (Shounen Hollywood) she] is not exactly appearing in the best series.

This episode was nice, I could not help but think of a certain mercenary. It felt like it had the right mix of going with the flow and proper level of stress. Was there a point? Who cares. Male characters could do with a voice though.
cutemi2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
I've been watching this anime for weeks, and I'm in a bit curious about the genre.

Does this anime has ACTUAL YURI scene(kissing each other, etc.)?!

and Does this anime has ACTUAL HAREM?!

You have to review it further because I've observe them that where's the yuri scene, like kissing each other, WHERE?! All I see is no actual Yuri and No Harem.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
cutemi2 wrote:
I've been watching this anime for weeks, and I'm in a bit curious about the genre.

You have to review it further because I've observe them that where's the yuri scene, like kissing each other, WHERE?! All I see is no actual Yuri and No Harem.

From my understanding it is based on a game where the player chooses a girl to have as a girlfriend, but since there is no male characters it is just all the girls having their own adventures. There does not appear to be yuri involved.

If you want yuri, if you have not already maybe check out Sakura Trick, the tone and art is not too different.
cutemi2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
cutemi2 wrote:

From my understanding it is based on a game where the player chooses a girl to have as a girlfriend, but since there is no male characters it is just all the girls having their own adventures. There does not appear to be yuri involved.

If you want yuri, if you have not already maybe check out Sakura Trick, the tone and art is not too different.

what about the anime version, does the Genre Yuri & Harem appears?, the info from ANN shown that the anime has the genre of Romance(where's the romance), Slice of Life(valid), Bishoujo, Harem(where), Yuri(Where). Confused
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
cutemi2 wrote:
what about the anime version, does the Genre Yuri & Harem appears?, the info from ANN shown that the anime has the genre of Romance(where's the romance), Slice of Life(valid), Bishoujo, Harem(where), Yuri(Where). Confused

Honestly, I think no one has a clue what to have expected from this. It is based on a romantic game, but there are no guys in this show that talk and or have any personality. If I had to guess, the situation the girls are finding themselves in are probably like the romantic arcs of the games, so in essence the girls are having the romantic situations with each other. But really the yuri has been pretty low, how much you will see will likely be proportionate to your strength of "yuri goggles", so some will just watch everyone just being friends.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone besides me gotten really bored with this? It isn't that there is anything really wrong with it but it took me 4 days just to watch episode 6. It is possible to make a watchable anime about cute girls doing nothing in particular with other cute girls but this just isn't clicking for me the way Lucky Star did.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

New years episode a couple days off from the real thing. It was still rather boring, probably one of the easiest anime to fall asleep while watching, and not in a good way. Characters really were mostly boring, sure there were many different personalities but there was some sort of bite missing at making many of them noticeable, with a few exceptions in some episodes. The best part was probably some of the big names in voice actress roles.

Was this meant to be romantic, because since it was pretty much "cute girls doing cute things", that label felt a little pointless. I rate it as Weak, I can watch cute girls doing bugger all as much as the next guy, but meh.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Series Overview

Welp not to much to say about this anime. Romance wise? It's pretty much nonexistent.

The beginning episode teases that there might be yuri relationships but sadly nothing ever came. Given what this is based off of you'd think this would take the Amagami route and give each girl an arc with the guy or something. But instead they just kind of randomly focus on a certain number of girls each episode. Since there is literally just about EVERY kind of archetype and one dimensional trope present here I suppose they were just appealing to every corner of the moe girl lover fanbase. Sadly the giant cast really works against the anime in that regard. There are so many characters that I constantly forget about who some of these people are especially since some of them look the same. Characters end up getting dropped from the show almost completely after having their episode of dedication which is going to piss off folks who liked them.

Even though the show functions much like Non Non Boyori which I love to bits I just never found the comedy to all that funny or original. And the small bits of character development some of the girls got weren't really satisfying since they'd get dropped from the show afterwards. There just isn't a good balance of.............anything that a show like this needs to be entertaining.

Overall not really something I'd recommend but as a person who loves "cute girls doing cute things"............I grudgingly can't say I hated all of it >.>.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2