• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Man Arrested For Selling US Dollar Bills with One Piece Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Funny that in toy shops in China you probably can find tons of Monopoly dollars with various characters printed on them. Not just from anime, but also from western cartoons and probably famous celebrities from Korea too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Technically the crime would be defacing(hah, that's a pun) the US dollar, which, I imagine, is where the copyright infringement comes in. Most people get away with stuff like this because they don't make it easy to track them down, if at all. You can't really be prosecuted for it if there is no evidence that it was you. If you have a boatload of nearly identical defaced bills in your house... well, that is pretty damning.

No, you can deface dollar bills, just like the kids who used to sign their name on them and see where they went. (Used to be a company where you could get friends/kids' photos printed on a legal-tender $5 bill for $20...Yep, there's a bargain)
"Copyright infringement" is when you sell cheap homemade bootlegged One Piece and Frozen merchandise, and Toei/Disney doesn't get a cut.

(...Stickers?? Confused )
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
^nope. Defacing US currency is illegal. Title 18, section 333 of the US code. It's not the same as copyright, but defacing a US dollar and then selling it is copyright infringement. That's what I was trying to say initially.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm more curious about the people who buy this. Like...what in the world would compel someone to purchase one of these weird things? I mean, they're not even novelty or joke items. It's just strange.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
I'm more curious about the people who buy this. Like...what in the world would compel someone to purchase one of these weird things? I mean, they're not even novelty or joke items. It's just strange.

I've seen people fund KS projects that offer even more stupid items than these defaced dollar bills..
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, our real dollars probably have as much value as those fakes, thanks to quantitative easing. Rolling Eyes
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
You'd think that because this guy's Japanese that he'd be using Japanese currency.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed (at least by the pictures) that the finished product looks pretty smooth. I've seen counterfit bills that look shitty compared to that. It still wouldn't spend, but people try much harder for a result that doesn't look as good.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
^I was under the impression that the bills themselves weren't counterfeit. Just that they were defaced and sold without permission from the respective copyright owners.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
If I recall, it's only illegal to deface us currency with the intent to defraud. For instance, in plenty of places, there's a machine that flattens a penny, and then stamps a new image on it. This is somewhat the same as that, as he's not altering the bill to make it appear to be worth more, just changing the face of it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
They do have too many police officers on taxpayer money for the amount of crime rates they have. Heck, they use 190,000 officers in one case or 4,000 officers to hunt a rape suspect. When they can assign that many officers on a single case, ya know there's not much else to do. Laughing

relyat08 wrote:

On the other hand, parking tickets for expired inspections and the like are pretty much bullcrap and serve no purpose other than government funding.

Worse are the damn speed trap cameras puffing up state coffers - and they don't even need police officers to be there!

GATSU wrote:

Ironically, our real dollars probably have as much value as those fakes, thanks to quantitative easing. Rolling Eyes

Just a couple years ago, the US dollar was in the mid-70s to the Yen. While Japanese consumers enjoyed it as it made products cheaper, the Japanese government didn't like that it made their exports more expensive while devaluing their money coming in from abroad, so they panic printed more Yen to get it back to around 100 Yen to the dollar. Now it's around 109 Yen per $.

InuKen wrote:

This. Ask any expats living there and they will tell you the same thing. Myself included though I've since left the country. Is there crime in Japan? Of course. But's it's infinitely lower than most countries in the world.

Plus, as expats say, what's illegal here is legal there! Laughing
(So it's not counting as a statistic.)
victor viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
According to the article the guy made over $50 off of 4 US dollars.

Leland Lee wrote:

That was my question. Who would spend good money on this kind of crap, anyway? Over $10 for a crummy circulated $1 bill with a sticker of a One Piece character? The funny thing is once he sold 4 of them, apparently he thought he'd discovered a niche market, and made several hundred more. That's business savvy!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
If I recall, it's only illegal to deface us currency with the intent to defraud. For instance, in plenty of places, there's a machine that flattens a penny, and then stamps a new image on it. This is somewhat the same as that, as he's not altering the bill to make it appear to be worth more, just changing the face of it.

I think this just about sums up why what he did was illegal.
Klad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
He has guts, thats for sure.
ragz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Banksy does not approve
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3