• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts J. Michael Tatum as Rei

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Maybe if you started paying more attention, you'd realize that they *do* bring in new talent. Just because it's not something that happens with every single dub doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And the Japanese can be guilty of using the same voice actors over and over again too. It's just that some people are too ignorant to know any better (I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I'm just stating a simple fact).

Just for the record, yes, I do check the credits, and yes, I'm aware that the Japanese have been notorious for abundantly reusing the same voice actors as well; perhaps I should have said that within my initial post; sorry about that. Neutral
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Maybe if you started paying more attention, you'd realize that they *do* bring in new talent. Just because it's not something that happens with every single dub doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And the Japanese can be guilty of using the same voice actors over and over again too. It's just that some people are too ignorant to know any better (I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I'm just stating a simple fact).

Just for the record, yes, I do check the credits, and yes, I'm aware that the Japanese have been notorious for abundantly reusing the same voice actors as well; perhaps I should have said that within my initial post; sorry about that. Neutral

I don't believe anyone here ever accused the Japanese of not doing it. It's a known industry trend -- didn't some big shot Japanese director said how this is becoming too mainstream of a practice? The industry will suffer from inbreeding if they stop recruiting new talent
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I knew he was gonna be the voice of Rei... it just feels so natural to have J. Michael Tatum's voice as Rei!! xD... Gah, already dying from fangirling over this! and OMG, I just realized I got to take a pic with JMT when I cosplayed as Gou back in 2013 xD...

This is so far awesome news!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I love the double standard in there are those that say Eng. dubs tend to use the same VA while they might say the same thing about the Japanese versions. I think that the Japanese are more guilty of reusing the same talent.

Given that Free! gives off a lot of BL vibes, I'd find it appropriate that Tatum is in this because he is gay.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
lol this is seriously no surprise.

I want to see Micah Solusod voice a character, even though I don't want Free!
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I love the double standard in there are those that say Eng. dubs tend to use the same VA while they might say the same thing about the Japanese versions. I think that the Japanese are more guilty of reusing the same talent.

That's false, actually. Japan has a much wider pool of actors to draw from, not to mention their industry puts out hundreds of shows a year. For example, Daisuke Hirakawa who voiced Rei only voiced 5 characters in 2013, including his roles in already airing long running shounen anime. That's far less than Tatum actually did in 2013 which is astonishing given the large discrepancy in release numbers between both markets. The American market just has a smaller talent pool to pull from than Japan does.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES! YES!

I've been talking a lot about how J Michael Tatum would be perfect as Rei (And apparently I'm not alone) but I didn't think Funi would be awesome enough to actually do it.

I'm already excited for this dub.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The weirdest part about this is that I can even see the guy cosplay as Rei.
Xelorei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

That's false, actually. Japan has a much wider pool of actors to draw from, not to mention their industry puts out hundreds of shows a year. For example, Daisuke Hirakawa who voiced Rei only voiced 5 characters in 2013, including his roles in already airing long running shounen anime. That's far less than Tatum actually did in 2013 which is astonishing given the large discrepancy in release numbers between both markets. The American market just has a smaller talent pool to pull from than Japan does.

Yes, but there are plenty of actors in Japan who got WAY more roles than Hirakawa (such as the aforementioned Daisuke Ono), and plenty of actors in America who get only a couple of notable roles a year. You're making a rather unfair comparison. I don't doubt that there's a larger number of actors hanging around in Japan, but it still reuses certain actors extensively.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
I doubt that Funimation is trying to compete with CR. In fact they have stated that they are actually trying to either convince CR to hire them to dub it, but still allowing CR to do everything else. If not, they are also hoping to convince CR to just sell them the license. They are making every attempt to cooperate with them.

Oh please, from where I'm sitting it looks like Funimation is trying to take away everything they can from CR on every series they can. CR's success at streaming must annoy the crap out of them.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Given that Free! gives off a lot of BL vibes, I'd find it appropriate that Tatum is in this because he is gay.

I didn't know that about Tatum. I DID know that about Ayres, who was just revealed as Nagisa. The fact that those two are like the biggest ship in the series (or at least the only one without competition) is kind of hilarious.
Xelorei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

I didn't know that about Tatum. I DID know that about Ayres, who was just revealed as Nagisa. The fact that those two are like the biggest ship in the series (or at least the only one without competition) is kind of hilarious.

Oh my god, you're right. That's kinda amazing, actually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2