• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Johnny Yong Bosch as Makoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Jr really isn't saying anything new here. casting choices are never 100% agreed upon. you are always going to have a group of people that don't like a certain voice actor in a role for various reasons.
meggu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Jr really isn't saying anything new here. casting choices are never 100% agreed upon. you are always going to have a group of people that don't like a certain voice actor in a role for various reasons.

Of course. I understand that. I've just never been swayed by that specific argument, and so put my reasons why I'm against it. Probably should have bitten my tongue, though, since we've gotten off topic a bit.

Point is: Johnny Young Bosch will be playing Makoto Tachibana.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
That's it watching this in subs only Mad

What's wrong, did JYB come over to your house and personally piss in your coffee? Rolling Eyes

The nerve of some people, I swear. So much unnecessary, misdirected hatred.

I guess you don't mind another Ichigo, Koizumi, Izaya, Lelouch, Ryunosuke etc. Excuse me for preferring some variety..

Where is the hatred at again?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
That's it watching this in subs only :x

What's wrong, did JYB come over to your house and personally piss in your coffee? :roll:

I guess you don't mind another Ichigo, Koizumi, Izaya, Lelouch, Ryunosuke etc. Excuse me for preferring some variety..

Quite frankly, vocal range is overrated. Not everyone can be Mel Blanc or Frank Welker. Actual acting ability should be first and foremost when considering a voice actor for a role. JYB has already demonstrated himself many times over to be a reliable performer, and considering how big Free! is, Funimation would be foolish to entrust any roles in the show to complete newbies.

Your own argument about variety can just as easily be turned against the likes of Daisuke Ono, Hiroshi Kamiya, Jun Fukuyama, Akira Ishida, or any other popular male seiyuu. I've yet to see anyone complain about them when they get cast, but they're ultimately cast for the same reasons people like JYB, Todd Haberkorn, and J. Michael Tatum get cast in English: They're known to be reliable performers.

In the end, though, at least I'm not the one whingeing about MAH PRECIOUS SUBS.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
^ sure I agree with you, the Japanese are just as guilty of it, no arguments from me against that. And I am a dub watcher, hence my complaint. I watch all my shows in dub, so Im tired of this dude doing the exact same voice for all his characters (with the exception of a few like Renton). And to avoid getting irritated I will watch it in subs. So what's the problem?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
Well, there's Nobita Nobi from Doraemon.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
That's it watching this in subs only Mad

What's wrong, did JYB come over to your house and personally piss in your coffee? Rolling Eyes

looks like things went out of control. for one thing is not dislike of the VA. not at all. its the characters that people dislike and he had a knack of making those disliked characters a little too good for some people's tastes. especially when it comes to lelouch and izaya which were his best performances, but unfortunately made those characters too unlikeable.

Also i wasnt talking nonesense either on my previous cause that casting was definitely unpredictable. if funi had bang zoom or studiopolis do the dubbing there would be no question he would have gotten the role as makoto since personality wise both him and koizumi are one in the same. but their using their own funi / ADV VA for most of the casting, so i had expect they would do the same for makoto since it would make sense moneywise. it probably cost funi a pretty penny to have him reprise two of his former roles.

then again what do i know?

i predicted months back that bailey would have gotten the role as usagi since she and sana from kodocha have the same personality but the role end up being taken in by seph.

And i definitely dont know crap of these union/ non union rules so it might be hogwash .

but at least we know each of the roles will be done well by good VA.

and we all should be grateful that funi even licensed it cause if it was sentai , it would have gotten the sub only treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beldarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I watch all my shows in dub, so Im tired of this dude doing the exact same voice for all his characters (with the exception of a few like Renton).

...That's not a flaw in my opinion. Japanese voice actors like Akira Ishida, Takehito Koyasu, Junichi Suwabe and Takahiro Sakurai have the same problem - most of Koyasu's stoic characters sound the exact same, and I was starting to grow bored of them. Then I heard Ryosuke in Initial D and I noticed that he's capable of making that "exact same voice" sound different just by changing his tone. I used to have problems with the latter three voice actors due to their 'small range', but recently I've seen very different roles from all of them and fell for them again (Shu Shirakawa in Koyasu's case; Orion Eden and Ren Jinguji in Suwabe's; and Kazuya Miyuki and Dorulumon in Sakurai's).

Johnny is actually capable of the same "tone change" (I figured that out when I heard him play Adachi in Persona 4 - same voice as always, just subtly psychotic. Made him sound unnerving.). ...I actually kinda like Johnny's usual voice anyway so I have no problems with the casting at all - as long as he manages to make that "usual voice" sound cute and frantic when Makoto flips out... Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3