• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirobako Episode 6 Streaming Suspended Due to Rights Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
^
Shirobako is indeed an odd series. It's an office "dramedy" about anime and the people who make it, and in many ways it isn't realistic. The male staffers have normal body-types and hairstyles, but all of the female characters - every single one of them - are implausibly cute or beautiful; there's a lot of idealism going on as to the level of skill, effort and passion that the production staff have; and a lot of the show is about gag comedy featuring craaazy people who would never survive the real life industry.

But it also does offer a good look as to the actual production process, although it isn't set up as a how-to guide and does expect the viewer already has a good base of knowledge. Plus in most episodes there is a overarching theme and message that will affect/involve several characters: there's definitely a core of genuine drama that is played straight instead of laughs. And from this drama there is character development, which is an important part of the show.

When compared to Denkigai no Honyasan, Shirobako is far less weird, and compared to Lucky Star it is far more serious. True, it does pack in lots of shout-outs and silly gags, and some of the characters have ridiculously exaggerated personalities. And yet, at the same time, Shirobako is also a surprisingly thoughtful look at the industry and the types of people who would even dare to make a living in it. I don't actually think it is all that great, but it has impressed me on occasion, and it is quite watchable.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Now I don't feel so bad about not starting this show yet. I'll wait till it gets ironed out before I marathon it Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
When stuff like this happens, people are likely to going to be resorting to piracy/fansubs. Copyright laws can such an irritation to those watching this show.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Deleted all the Tomino-bashing posts, since his name isn't even mentioned in the article and you people need more productive things to do.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Um, I've already watched Episode 6. Does this mean I need to forget what I saw now? Laughing

Hope they get this straightened out soon. Shirobako has been one of my favorite series this season. If you've ever wanted to watch an anime about the anime industry in Japan, this is the series. And it's good too.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Um, I've already watched Episode 6. Does this mean I need to forget what I saw now? Laughing

Well when episode 6 comes back, use whatever memory you got from episode 6 to see if anything got edited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
With the now common practice of simulcasting, you'd think that Japan would've finally figured out these blasted rights issues.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With the now common practice of simulcasting, you'd think that Japan would've finally figured out these blasted rights issues.

Japan is a little behind when it comes to new tech.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, Japan is a bit backwards on the issue of IP. They have no real concept of "fair use", so references and parodies - even affectionate ones - are not protected under their laws.

Of course, we don't know exactly what the alleged infringement was that caused the episode to be pulled.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I've seen another theory circulating on some Japanese boards, that is, for some, it may be related to the small part of Waiting for Godot shown in the episode, as Beckett (and his estate, I suppose) has prohibited to have the play performed by women, in order to stay faithful to the text - when Beckett was alive, he even went to court a few times.

This (http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-28616.html - beware of NSFW ads) for example mentions a female version staged in Japan that had to stop for the same reason.

I personally think this is a bit far-fetched, but some are going with it.
JC_Denton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
I've seen another theory circulating on some Japanese boards, that is, for some, it may be related to the small part of Waiting for Godot shown in the episode, as Beckett (and his estate, I suppose) has prohibited to have the play performed by women, in order to stay faithful to the text - when Beckett was alive, he even went to court a few times.

This (http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-28616.html - beware of NSFW ads) for example mentions a female version staged in Japan that had to stop for the same reason.

You know, it seems you're the only one in this post get it, the whole thing has nothing to do with Sunrise...
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
JC_Denton wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:

You know, it seems you're the only one in this post get it, the whole thing has nothing to do with Sunrise...

It may sound far-fetched, but we don't know. Even a smallest instance can put show off-guard. Is "Waiting for Godot" public domain yet?

Shirobako has been good with altering real-life names in somewhat recognizable form and so far they didn't get into trouble for it. Even though Japanese tolerate fan parody and alteration, some people wouldn't be happy to find out when their name or property is used lightly for commercial purpose without permission. Anime is made for commercial purpose after all.
JC_Denton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like they forgot to get permission to use the show that they are giving homage to in the episode. Too bad!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

JC_Denton wrote:

Whoa I didn't know the anime (that particular episode) was poking fun at that. If this is confirmed then this would surprised all of us on ANN. I like that idea, but we'll have to wait and see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2