• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
No, companies must level up their IT infrastructure so that their servers can't be brought to their knees by a bunch of script kiddies.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like these kinds of attacks are extremely difficult to stop, and absurdly easy to carry out (so they happen constantly). Since these companies' entire businesses depend on keeping the servers working 24/7, I'd guess they're already doing everything they can afford to do to stop this kind of thing.
danls86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
danls86 wrote:
its back up now... This is annoying though! They need to stop it with these attacks!

Uh, it's not back up from where I'm standing, I still can't access CR on my PC.

Yea sorry... it was working for about 5 minutes then it crapped out again. Sorry for the false statement Smile

As far as another commenter:

Yes, they should improve their IT infrastructure considering how much they have grown even just in the last year but its still extremely childish for script kiddies to bring it down.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
#829750 wrote:

To my knowledge Netflix did not have anime at the time.

Well I live in a world where I pay for the services and merchandise I want. So yea I was. And that's why you did research first on the shows. And yea, Netflix had anime back then. I got the dvds in the mail all the time. There was another service, forget the name, that was anime only but worked like Netflix.

AnimeNation has RentAnime. Even before Netflix, there's GreenCine. Netflix was actually more friendly with anime in the beginning because early adopters of new tech are geeks, many of whom are into anime. So early net rental services always had anime.

Spotlesseden wrote:

ANN doesn't need DDOS attack to go down. It goes down almost weekly. lol

Thought it's every morning about 6am EST?! Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

ANN doesn't need DDOS attack to go down. It goes down almost weekly. lol

And yet here you still are posting in it's forums. Plus you're grossly exaggerating that point.

#829750 wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

I remember waiting a good year to get the second half of something I was watching back in the day because of the speed of the fansubs AND the minimum tape requirements for the distros I used.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I think I would have gotten very very frustrated.

I lived in a small city pre-2006. I didn't have access to a distributor and none of my local stores carried anime. None, Nada, zip.
Internet was the only possible way to watch things. Though I didn't really watch much on the internet until i found fan subs on youtube in like mid 2007.

Again I am going to mention Netflix and other m ailing services. They came right to your door. If you simply watched anime via fansubs because you didn't care then just say so. Just don't try and justify it by claiming you had no other options when there were some. I'll grant an exception to not living in America (unless you were in Japan) as obviously there's no Netflix outside of it in terms of the dvds being mailed to your place of residence. This is getting OT so I'll stop and get back on topic.

Yes it was very frustrating waiting the amount of time for releases back in the day. Which is why I for one just laugh at these attacks. They take down the site for a few days, big deal. Beyond the fact that there's plenty else to do with your time I again fail to see the purpose of attacks like this. So you took down a site for a few days. So you took down online gaming on XBL or PSN for a few days. So what? What did you actually accomplish? Not a damn thing. You didn't accomplish anything of any value. You didn't SHOW people what you're made of or teach anyone a lesson. All you did was be an annoying douchenozzle and piss people off. The only people who would support such attacks or see them as awesome are other fellow idiots. Not that I support the Sony Entertainment hacking but at least those hackers got SSN's and confidential emails. At least they got something of value for their effort.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
I would like to thank the people for taking down crunchyroll. My younger sister died two days ago. Now I can no longer immerse myself in watching Kuroko's basketball to ease the pain.

Thanks for the added misery.

Praying for you. God bless.
thehinac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... What possible example could a group be trying to teach the general public in DDoS of Crunchyroll. Sure they're an over subscribed provider of anime. But even if they are I still like watching them when I get off of work.
If anyone out there that is doing this to Crunchyroll is reading this... I'm sitting here drinking a beer and it's just not the same without my anime. While it is kind of funny because it's like spanking them for not fixing their bandwidth problems, or not fixing their web video player.... But enough already. Go down Apple or something.
Microsoft and Playstation gaming networks are something your are forced to purchase to fully use hardware you already bought so I can some what understand the reason for DDoS'ing them. However CR is a service that no one needs, it's something we choose to purchase. So they don't fall in the same realm as other services.
If this has something to do with the stuff from 2006-8 dude really. Get laid get a life or just kill yourself noobs, stop DDoS'ing crunchyroll because or your low self esteem problems.

Last edited by thehinac on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I'm no expert, but it sounds like these kinds of attacks are extremely difficult to stop, and absurdly easy to carry out (so they happen constantly).

Difficult to stop? Probably. Impossible? NO!

Quote:
Since these companies' entire businesses depend on keeping the servers working 24/7, I'd guess they're already doing everything they can afford to do to stop this kind of thing.

No, they are not, there is no real sense of urgency just like there was no intention in the USA to improve airport security (like they did in Europe DECADES before) prior to 9/11. Sadly you need to reach Fukushima like catastrophe levels for the big boss to get serious about paying for upgraded security.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
No, companies must level up their IT infrastructure so that their servers can't be brought to their knees by a bunch of script kiddies.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like these kinds of attacks are extremely difficult to stop, and absurdly easy to carry out (so they happen constantly). Since these companies' entire businesses depend on keeping the servers working 24/7, I'd guess they're already doing everything they can afford to do to stop this kind of thing.

There's also been something suspicious about these kinds of attacks. There's no real motive other than to cause trouble and upset these services' clients. Going by stuff in the past, including some suspicious musings with regards to Sony Pictures, one wouldn't be surprised if these DDoS attacks are false flags designed to get users angry and then being led to support solutions that sees Government interference and control of the net through SOPA and other acts where, like false flag terrorism, orchestrated trouble over the net will be used to push Government control of the net, in order to 'protect us', and therefore to trojan horse in government censorship of the net.

Whatever the solution to these problems folks, don't allow any government or corporate interest to control the freedoms of the net through their own filters. Yes, bad things will occur through the net just as in life but giving up net neutrality for the illusion of safety by government, is not something wise. Just FYI, because undoubtedly I expect more of these attacks and outages and government stepping in to 'help' when in fact they could be the orchestrator or want in only to get something we didn't want out of it.

Just my 2 cents.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

no, this kind of attack is very easy to stop at the beginning, it's just very expensive and not worth it to doing it. Because this kind of attack can't steal your info, it only shuts down your website/web service because of heavy traffic.

All you need to do is redirect all bad request to other fake servers. There are many companies that offer DDoS Protection Service for small websites like CloudFlare, Incapsula.

"freedoms of the net through their own filters." Alot of contents are not free, people have no right to read/ watch those contents. It has to be filter out. Or they have to pay too. I don't know why anime fans always bring up freedom whenever they do something illegal and wrong.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

AnimeNation has RentAnime. Even before Netflix, there's GreenCine. Netflix was actually more friendly with anime in the beginning because early adopters of new tech are geeks, many of whom are into anime. So early net rental services always had anime.

Rentanime was the one I was thinking of. Thanks for remembering for me heh. I had an account with them for a while until Netflix started to get more and more anime. Then it just wasn't worth it to keep both. And with netflix being slightly cheaper, and the benefit of normal movies, I opted to just stick with Netflix. The one advantage to Rentanime was they did have hentai.
ptsulli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
laceblade wrote:
Is there anything we can do to help fight DDoS attacks, aside from generally encouraging people to not be not-so-nice-people?

As a professional network engineer the answer to this question is yes. Get a good quality virus scanner that can detect Botnet infections and keep the signatures updated.
A properly crafted DDOS attack can take small countries down. Trend Micro's latest map update has about 4.5 million infected machines. So all an idiot has to do is get his code loaded on a botnet and BANG!!! dead connections. I'm not saying that this is the attack vector that the CR DDOS attack is coming from. there are other ways of doing it, and it can be a pain in the A#$ Backside to defend against. Web proxies like Cloudflare are one defense. Firewalls, IPS,IDS (and all of the other network alphabet soup) can also help. But if you through enough garbage traffic at a web portal. even if its distributed, it'll be uncantactable (is that a word) even if it doesn't crash the servers themselves. As you can tell this is one thing that really torks my chain. I'll stopping running my mouth now. hopefully it'll be back up soon.
shinigami_champloo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
manga_university wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Poor CR, first their store was down for Black Friday and beyond and now this...

Actually, the Crunchyroll Store went down a few days after Black Friday, not during the Black Friday sales weekend itself.

But yeah, it's sad when stuff like this happens, especially when it affects anime fans who are paying for content and supporting the creators.

The CR store did not "go down", CR took it down while they were redoing something internal to the site. The Store was completely removed from the menus during that period. (brilliant, eh?)

I don't buy their claim that this is a DDOS. CR has a history of their capacity lagging subscribership and they were doing a big membership ad campaign over the holiday period. I think they're simply collapsing under their own incompetence and using a convenient scapegoat to shift the blame.

And if it looks like ANN is getting hammered, it's probalby because of the flood of people looking for info about what's going on with CR.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Again I am going to mention Netflix and other m ailing services. They came right to your door. If you simply watched anime via fansubs because you didn't care then just say so. Just don't try and justify it by claiming you had no other options when there were some. I'll grant an exception to not living in America (unless you were in Japan) as obviously there's no Netflix outside of it in terms of the dvds being mailed to your place of residence. This is getting OT so I'll stop and get back on topic.

Netflix hadn't really undated their anime DVD rental list for years some things are added that that's mostly Naruto Bleach and One Piece.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm strange, I still can't access the site. Is it working for anyone else? For some reason, I did manage to access the site earlier today and noticed some others posting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Hmm strange, I still can't access the site. Is it working for anyone else? For some reason, I did manage to access the site earlier today and noticed some others posting.

Well as of now, I can't access CR on my PC nor on my smart TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11