• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
A reminder that the new season of Food Wars begins today Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
The Third Plate, Episode 24 (I think it is something like the finale of a part two to third plate, making it technically a 3rd and 4th season, depending on how you look at it)

What a way to finish a season, a competition to save the main cast from being expelled, with prize that they would become the new Elite 10, and rout out Erina's father, that everything including Soma's father's freedom is on the line. And they managed to win the first three matches, which puts them in a good position, but clearly things will take a turn for the worst before victory could happen, it always does. Maybe I should be satisfied, but I am also left hungry for another season to hopefully finish this, because I don't want it to end like this.

In ways this second half of Third Plate has felt a bit slow. The entire thing has pretty much been the advancement exam, where the characters prepared to overcome the clearly rigged test if they could even stay at the place they have earned a place at, with the help of Erina. Sure Erina has improved, being out to help everyone, but I still have not forgiven her character from the very start of how she was to get in the way of Soma. She still has not let her defences all down yet, but there are also worse characters. The show is pretty much always fun though, And it was good that we also got context to Soma's father.

I gave the first half of third plate a Good, and I will also give the second part a Good (7/10), worth watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
The Fourth Plate, Episode 12 (series finale)

I assume that this is the seried finale, baring a spinoff like the random guy who showed up at the end, Soma has first seat, Megumi has second, and Erina is literally the director now, kind of feels like there is nowhere to go now.

I was not a big fan of this season, like the entirety of the season was a tournament, with the majority seeming to be in their shoukugeki. Sure battles are an important part of a shounen series, which this is, but I don't think that it should be everything. The constant high stakes just made me lose interest and be able to follow everything by mildly paying attention, because character interaction just felt muted to just being on opposing side, characters being locked up, being smug, and just trusting that food was amazing after has kept trying to express that it is outdoing itself. And when it brought in that Erina's dad has some taught trait that can have him make other people's clothes off, it felt like it had just pushed it too far. It did try to wrap itself up nicely, but it feels like the crap that the Central people tried to pull has just been forgotten, not that these people were unfairly abusing their power to kick these students out of school in a way that could destroy their careers, all for some plan that would see them take control of the culinary world.

I rate Fourth Plate as So-so (5/10), it may have at one time been a delicious course, but by the end I think it was getting a bit stale with a single cooking method.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
The Fifth Plate, Episode 13 (actual series finale)

A little embarrassing that I assumed the series was finished, and then there was an entire new season. It just felt like it should have been done at the point, Soma having taken first seat, and then it just kept going with this season suddenly introducing a international cooking competition that these kids were totally going to win. It had a teacher manipulating a teenage girl into accepting a bet that could mean she would have to marry him. An episode that was kind of uncomfortable in how it treated a gay guy and transwomen. And what looked like some attempt to redeem Erina's dad.

In my opinion, it had gone past the point it needed to be, suddenly bringing the topic of Soma and Erina's mothers. That was fine in ways, but this season also sped through cook-offs that it also felt kind of obvious that it knew that were past the point of really being invested in them like we were before. Kind of all felt like quirks. Also, apparently a criminal organisation is stopped by really good cooking. If I had to point to an episode I did think was good, it probably would have been the one where Soma had to use ingredients from a convenience store to make something worth a lot. But in general I really could not care at all about the villain of this season, felt like it had to invent the whole forced to marry bit so they could make it feel like there was some kind of stakes.

My rating is So-so (5/10), I watched to finish the series, even maybe found some parts interesting, but I was generally done with it, was down on the list of shows I was interested in, even if I also think it is technically fairly well made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13