• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 5:

Ah, the Nationals. It's serious business so I do expect the competition to be intense. I like Hazuki's fighting spirit this episode though as she has that positive energy.

Looks like everyone practiced hard for their performance. Taki has a lot of responsibility for this group and I'm impressed by the way he is leading everyone. Well, I thought the performance was good, liked how they used some of the montage scenes from season 1.

I'm so proud of Kitauji school!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
As always I can't actually tell if the performance is really that great or not, but if the story says so...

So is this the end of volume 2 or is there more to it? Season 1 covered a single novel so I'm wondering if that'll repeat here or if they'll do a more standard 4-5 eps per book.

Would be nice if it got the K-ON treatment, where season 2 was upgraded to 2 cours.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
As always I can't actually tell if the performance is really that great or not, but if the story says so...

So is this the end of volume 2 or is there more to it? Season 1 covered a single novel so I'm wondering if that'll repeat here or if they'll do a more standard 4-5 eps per book.

Would be nice if it got the K-ON treatment, where season 2 was upgraded to 2 cours.

Like I mentioned in my comment in the other thread, the novel does imply that, even though Kitauji's performance was great, that wasn't the only reason why they qualified for the Nationals.

Yup, the second novel ends with the exact same scene as this episode, so the next one should start adapting the third one. Season 1 stretched out the first novel by adding lots of original scenes - nearly all of the interactions between Haruka and Kaori, some scenes with Hazuki, pretty much the entirety of episode 6, etc.

The official website has already announced 7 volumes of Blu-rays and DVDs, with the first one taken by by the double length season premiere, so it should be 13 episodes in total.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Yup, the second novel ends with the exact same scene as this episode, so the next one should start adapting the third one.

Then is it okay if I start looking forward to that?!

Ah, who am I kidding. The way this adaptation's been they won't include that. Even if they did after removing all the development that leads to that even I'd have to call it an asspull.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Well that was fun. The cultural festival part with the fortune telling Asuka, Haunted House, maid cafe, etc. I must say, this type of episode is exactly what we needed after the drama and competition between schools as a breather.

Not sure what to think about Kumiko's sister thinking about dropping out college yet..I wonder if that's going ot be some sort of sub-plot.

In the meantime, it's interesting to hear more about Taki's wife. I'm guessing the second half of the season will focus more on characterization and of course, the Nationals. It's going to be tough but I look forward to it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

I was so nervous before the performance, and the performance gripped me with the tension of how they would do, could one small mistake throw it away, and the sheer emotions packed into their performance. That it worked out was kind of such a successful, like with this regardless of general expectations of how the narrative would go. This was like Haikyuu level intensity in unable to turn away and cheering with the group. I think that it was more than the performance they did at the end of the first season.

Episode 6

Rain has a certain level of morbidity, there a still a few things underneath the surface that have not been dealt with. One is with Kumiko's sister, that seems to have had various pressures on her that Kumiko has only felt her sister telling her to study more seriously, and now she is considering dropping out of studying. Perhaps not obvious to our main character is feels like her focus on music in high school maybe lead her difficulties in studying, and her comments have been out of now wan the same thing to pen to Kumiko. And another is Asuka, who we are getting to some sort of tipping point behind what her deal is.

Episode 7

And the deal with Asuka is that she has drama. She has been raised by a single mother who wants Asuka to now quit the band and focus on her studies, enough so that she would slap Asuka when she expresses that she does not want to. I think what was great about this exchange is that it is not cartoony, you could understand how a mother who maybe had a hard life and raised her daughter by herself would want best for herself. You could maybe understand the frustration that would lead to her doing something she would regret, even if it is clear to not be the right move, and the way Asuka reacts to it speaks volumes of her character. As said before, Asuka hates drama, the band going strong without it has been her opinion, and now that the drama is attached to her you have to think about what that means, about how she would remove herself. I think we did not actually see everything that happened behind the scenes with Asuka, not even sure if it was solved, and it feels like Kumiko has little business getting involved, but that feels like a strength to the way this from Kumiko's point of view we have been given.

Looks like next we will be having a closer look at her sister. Oh, and Yuuko is set to be the next club president, which I like.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

I honestly don't like Asuka's mother much. It's like she's trying to decide Asuka's future for her. Well, I'm just glad to see Asuka being able to stay level headed in that situation.

The episode also really shows that her friends and Taki cares about her and it means a lot for her to be in the group. The performance at the end was catchy, imo not their best so far but definitely entertaining.

This episode also made me like Taki more because of how he handled that drama.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Well I thought that was interesting...even with all the family drama.

Mamiko's current relationship with Kumiko is rather tense along with her family. I feel kinda bad for her although the way she's expressing it isn't helping herself either. Kumiko being inspired to play the euphonium because of her sister can be relatable. I'm a bit worried about Asuka though. She seems like "her normal self" but I think she's not feeling like usual. Oh well, guess we'll have to see what happens next.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9

Well we finally know Asuka's deal, and it is a good one. Her father is a famous euphonium player, but her parents divorced when she was little and her mother has pretty much kept him from her for years. He gifted her a euphonium, and despite Asuka being interested in it mother has not been supportive and Asuka has had to put on the perfect grades and like just for her to play. Asuka says that she does not hate her mother, but it seems clear that she holds some resentment over the shackle she has had forced on her.

I think that it was interesting that we got two parts of describing Kumiko; as a person kind of surprisingly good at backing someone up, and as a "euphonium" kind of girl. I can't be sure if I am correct, but I think it relates to something first season that talked about how the euphonium not standing out and the like, but being impactful still for its part in backing up the other instruments. Makes me think how all this time I was thinking the series was just kind of being a bit band geek with explaining the characteristics of euphonium, but it was kind of an explanation of Kumiko's own characteristics.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 9:

Great episode, especially the characterization on Asuka.

The fact that we learned more about her past (when she received her silver euphonium for the first time) adds more to her character. The family drama storytelling about her parents is quite realistic. Character chemistry between Asuka and Kumiko is also what I found appealing about the episode.

The little bits of Reina/Kumiko and Reina and Taki were cute too. Asuka's still got it with her talent!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 10:

Ah this episode gave me a better impression of Mamiko after that conversation between her and Kumiko.

Very emotional segment between Kumiko and Asuka. The way she expresses her thoughts of wanting Asuka to return to the band was very well done imo. Kudos to the VA for playing that role as well.

Well, there's two more episodes left so the Nationals will probably be the main focus from here. Should be interesting now with Asuka back in the band. I hope they will do well!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 12:

There's still an episode next week so I'm curious to see what they'll do. Personally, I wish they did more of the performance this week.

I thought the latest episode was good though especially with Reina's confession. Thought that was probably the highlight of the episode for me. Kumiko and her sister also had a sweet moment as well. The part about Asuka also made me smile. Beautiful episode for sure.

Really hope they give the final episode a memorable send off as I'll miss it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with them skipping the concert, as they just play the same songs we've heard them perform already.

I knew them losing was a possibility, but I didn't expect them to do so terribly they'd get bronze.

Reina's double confession was great. People might complain about her feelings, but I still say they enhance her character. When she's just interacting with Kumiko, Reina is always in control and is kinda that know it all kind of character. But when Taki is involved we get to see her meek and vulnerable side which can be pretty funny.

What's also funny was seeing the internet explode over the hair pin scene.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12

I am really not surprised that they did not get gold, although bronze would have been a sting. They are a small school without much of a reputation for competition, and in fact had its share of drama previous year that saw them in pieces. But they actually managed to make it nationals, and it does not erase all of the gold they got along the way, or really the whole journey they had up to here that was more than place they got afterwards. The characters had already won to make it as far as they did, and all of the emotions mixed in were the topping for the this series. Although now must see what the final piece (episode) will bring.

Do we know yet who is replacing the captain?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 13 (finale):

Good way to conclude the show overall imo. While I was disappointed by the anticlimatic ending of the Nationals from the previous episode, the finale made it up that showcases the talent of the cast even. In the meantime, I thought they did a clever job at reflecting all the moments that happened this season. I think their teachers are proud of them.

Asuka and Kumiko's character chemistry even in the finale was interesting to watch even in this finale. Their goodbye felt like it had just enough emotions to get the point across.

So yeah, after this finale, I thought the second season was pretty interesting overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22