• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Series Producer Baba Apologizes For Fans' Unease

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
He's apologizing for the fact that the story took a twist that wasn't revealed in the promotional materials. Appears that more fans took it as sort of a Metal Gear Solid 2 move than a Final Fantasy VII move.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
What a great guy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
I think some important questions to consider are: Was this him apologizing personally or speaking on behalf of the company? Also, was this staged or genuine?
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
He's apologizing for the fact that the story took a twist that wasn't revealed in the promotional materials. Appears that more fans took it as sort of a Metal Gear Solid 2 move than a Final Fantasy VII move.
W-why would that be something to apologizing for? Do fans really want to get spoiled?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
W-why would that be something to apologizing for? Do fans really want to get spoiled?

That's what i was thinking...did you want the whole plot written out for you? Why can't we be surprised anymore?

I play a lot of games but to be frank, Gamers are some of the most entitled asses in the world. They think they deserve so much it's almost sickening.

Game prices haven't changed in 25 years but a company trying to cover the inflation gap with DLC is ripped apart.

Oh it doesn't run in 60FPS, game must be trash. Console exclusive, must be trash...can't mod it, must be trash.

This is what the gaming market has become, a toxic waste pit of entitled jerks.
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Well, I believe that plot twist caused the backlash partly because it took the girl initially marketed as the heroine and put her on the bus. And then a different girl takes over the role for pretty much most of the story.

And by that I mean the girl actually in the special anime short mentioned in the article. She's a lot less important than she's been made out to be, or so I've heard.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Well, I believe that plot twist caused the backlash partly because it took the girl initially marketed as the heroine and put her on the bus. And then a different girl takes over the role for pretty much most of the story.

And by that I mean the girl actually in the special anime short mentioned in the article. She's a lot less important than she's been made out to be, or so I've heard.
Maybe it's just me but I think that's actually better, makes the plot twist even bigger, but what do I know.
SilverSpades

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:

This'll be my first post on here, so greetings to all on ANN!

*ahem*

You know what, I actually wasn't all that peeved about hearing Alisha's lack of screen time. What really got me angry was hearing that the new character practically took over as the protagonist over Sorey, in which it makes Sorey look like a side character in his own tale, and I hate hate hate that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
SilverSpades, welcome to the ANN forum family.
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
SilverSpades wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

This'll be my first post on here, so greetings to all on ANN!

*ahem*

You know what, I actually wasn't all that peeved about hearing Alisha's lack of screen time. What really got me angry was hearing that the new character practically took over as the protagonist over Sorey, in which it makes Sorey look like a side character in his own tale, and I hate hate hate that.

Oh, so she took his role too huh.

That's even funnier.
Lemonchest

Eh a non specific apology is a pretty standard way to deflect attention from whatever has people riled up. It's pretty effective, too. Just look at how Akio Toyoda touching his toes on stage shifted the discussion from how Toyota's cars were killing people to "omg a Japanese man apologized this is a big cultural thing omg" despite it being standard practice & his notable avoidance of actually taking responsibility for any of the things going wrong.
SilverSpades

Kadmos1 wrote:
SilverSpades, welcome to the ANN forum family.

Thank you!

Figured I should stop lurking.

natchu96 wrote:
Oh, so she took his role too huh.

That's even funnier.

*Zestiria spoilers, you've been warned!*

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/27/japanese-gamers-tales-zestiria-alisha-costs-1300-yen/

This is where I saw the info. It's even worse-- the party was accused of being inconsistent in their personalities and it seems to have come off as Rose and her groupies. Not only is there complaints about how the party promotes everything she does, but they also seem to put her above Alisha while both females are in the party, and forget all about Alisha when she leaves.

Reading that article personally left such a bitter taste in my mouth about the game I almost wanted to stop playing the series...

I'm not sure how I feel about this game right now, honestly. I was excited but the interest quickly diminished. Maybe playing Xillia 2 will make me feel better?

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. -TK]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
This "controversy" is so ridiculous i barely know what to say. Had they revealed it people would have cried spoilers and had they just shut their trap (they rightfully did) and just told their story they would still have been in the wrong.
(J-)RPG´s with changing cast have been around since the 80s and the game sold so the fans should apologize if anyone. American reviewers probably won´t even care...
PS4 version here i come and who come Xillia 2 didn´t cause a tempest in a teacup?
That game pissed all over part 1 and changed the female lead in the middle too. Syphonia 2 is another mess and so on. Hello SilverSpades btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I don't know anything about the plot twist in question but it makes me sad that the producer is apologizing for actually doing something different for once. I guess the fanbase at large enjoys having the same story over and over again.

Xillia 2 exists and that got tore apart despite having one of the best stories in the entire franchise in addition to having a silent protagonist (until New Game Plus) as the lead.

I'd say Zesti's issue is that it played everything too safe. It was Fantasy 101, even more so than usual. It was one of the most boring Tales games I've ever played, even more so than Innocence.

residentgrigo wrote:

how come Xillia 2 didn´t cause a tempest in a teacup?
That game pissed all over part 1 and changed the female lead in the middle too.

Elle was never changed though? She was Ludger's primary motivation for even working with Bisley to find Julius in the first place. It's made even more obvious in the "normal" ending.

It also didn't really screw with the first game. It actually added onto the stuff established in the first game.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Hey, whatever they do with Rose and Sorey can't be worse than how they treated Milla in Xillia 2 spoiler[(Creating a Milla with a tsundere gimmick so they could kill her off without killing her off, reneging on Maxwell being the top Spirit because that makes sense, trapping her for most of the game)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3