• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Attack on Titan Live-Action Film Debuts at #1, Earns 600 Million Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I see. Do people in Japan not go to movies quite as much, or is it just a slow weekend?

IIRC, "weekend B.O." in Japan covers only Sat and Sun, unlike America with Fri-Sun. Also in Japan, there's less difference between weekend B.O. and Mon-Fri B.O., e.g. a Japan film could earn as much on work days as in the weekend.

Still though, Japanese don't go as much to the movies - they're more of a TV culture. Also, J-movie tickets are more expensive (but if people are used to expensive Blu-ray, they should be used to expensive movie tickets, right?)
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's also how Japan's population is much, much smaller than that of the United States.

And if I'm not mistaken, much older for people who would be interested in seeing the movie. I imagine that this is getting an international release, so it will still make some more money towards its 5 billion yen goal. They've been running a massive marketing campaign for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
#1 at the box office usually means that there will be more.

I just want season 2, people. Hasn't the manga progressed far enough yet?

Yes, as of chapter 70 another arc ended and there should be enough material for another 25 or so episodes. The first season covered the first 34 chapters (or technically 33 and half, since episode 25 was a modified version of some of chapter 34). There really was a material problem when the first season ended - at that time chapter 50 was released, only giving enough material for one more arc. As of chapter 70, though, there's about 36 chapters for season 2, which should be enough.

Razor/Edge wrote:

For those that read the manga, without spoiling anything, how close does it seem to be to ending? I thought Isayama originally said it would be about 20 volumes long. Though, now I figure we're looking at a MUCH longer run for it, just because of it's popularity.

Recently the author said in a couple of interviews that with the end of the arc that ended with chapter 70, the story was 60% complete and plans on ending it in the next 2-3 years. That makes for about 24-36 chapters or about 9 more volumes, ending it around 25-27. Each arc's been about 4 volumes (the recent one was 5), so two more arcs for season 3. As opposed to the 20 volumes which would've been an arc shorter.

I'm excited for everything coming up. Yeah, the recent arc has been criticized a lot, but I still really anjoyed it for it's positives personally and I want to see both of these arcs in animated form. I feel like the anime could also fix some of these issues.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
I'm excited for everything coming up. Yeah, the recent arc has been criticized a lot, but I still really anjoyed for it's positives personally and I want to see both of these arcs in animated form.

Wow you answered them perfectly O.O I don't see that often. I asked the same question today actually (http://leviskinnyjeans.tumblr.com/post/125842074228/hey-do-you-know-what-volume-the-manga-will-end) and it's the same answer!

Yeah I like the political arc too. I wasn't really a fan of its ending though. Too complex and inconsistent. I think it will probably be more of a challenge animating it than the Colossal and Armored Titans' arcs.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Yeah I like the political arc too. I wasn't really a fan of its ending though. Too complex and inconsistent. I think it will probably be more of a challenge animating it than the Colossal and Armored Titans' arcs.

I like the second half of the arc a lot more, personally. it's the first half that's weaker for me. Starting that certain reveal about Eren, there's a lot of important stuff revealed and characters developed. The character development for especially Historia and Eren is great! Both are very different characters from when they were introduced. You can see all the characters changing bit by bit, really. It's what I like most about this arc.

But this is kinda off-topic for the article. Not a surprise the movie would do well. It's AoT.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
I like the second half of the arc a lot more, personally. it's the first half that's weaker for me. Starting that certain reveal about Eren, there's a lot of important stuff revealed and characters developed. The character development for especially Historia and Eren is great! Both are very different characters from when they were introduced. You can see all the characters changing bit by bit, really. It's what I like most about this arc.

Oh I totally agree on that. I just didn't really like Rod Reiss all that much. He just kept saying things and there would be entire chapters of him changing his story. There's just a boat full of information too which might seem shoddy when watching instead of reading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2