• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of August 5-11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice little experiment you have here. Although maybe some of the shows might not have gotten many votes, which would cause them to swing up and down a lot from week to week due to a smaller sample size...

If more people voted I'd guess this ranking might be a bit more accurate.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
See Schulze method for the full details.

Argh. Math.
*slowly backs away*
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
How Classroom Crisis is that low is beyond me..

I don't even.. something's wrong with the world. The show is really good.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
How Classroom Crisis is that low is beyond me..

I don't even.. something's wrong with the world. The show is really good.

It is. It just...it takes a bit of effort to stay, even with Yu Kobayashi. Kinda like Plastic Memories. I'm waiting for more episodes to binge watch.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We aren't releasing vote totals. Further calls for that information will be ignored - sorry, it's internal traffic data. Not for the public.

This is just supposed to be fun info, not a scientific ranking of objective best to worst. Nothing more than some fun data we get from our episode reviews.

Well without the sample sizes we can't really know whether any of these differences are meaningful, can we?. The way shows move around suggests we're dealing with some pretty small numbers here.

How about just some large categories for number of ratings like 0-25/25-50/50-100/>100?

I know I never bother to rate individual episodes, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the norm among ANN visitors.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
For those of you who are upset that your favorite is not rated higher: Relax!

This information is interesting but doesn't effect anything. If you enjoy a show, enjoy it. The fact that everyone isn't as enthusiastic as you are should have no bearing on the matter. Do you really need the support of others to enjoy something?
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Well without the sample sizes we can't really know whether any of these differences are meaningful, can we?
Zac said in the first thread that the sample sizes are statistically significant (which is why they bothered) and that's really all that should be necessary. Ultimately, any data-based objections are irrelevant because the standings don't mean anything. Absolutely nothing hinges on these standings; if you can't buy into the concept, just walk away and let people have fun with it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
The Gatchaman week to week ep lows and spikes are hilarious. Its like someone is having a heart attack watching the show. Laughing

I look at this as mainly a fun exercise. I don't need perfect statistical accuracy for that. On that note:
Hameyadea wrote:
Dan42 wrote:
See Schulze method for the full details.

Argh. Math.
*slowly backs away*
Stands further back behind Hameyadea.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I know I never bother to rate individual episodes, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the norm among ANN visitors.

The norm among ANN visitors is to not participate at all.

You are in that less than 1% (way less than 1%) of regular that participate in some way...

-t
bibotot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

The norm among ANN visitors is to not participate at all.

You are in that less than 1% (way less than 1%) of regular that participate in some way...

-t

How do you rate anyway? I think you need something membership to do that. Every time I attempt, it never works.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Amazing, this is the first thing that got me interested in Chaos Dragon. I'm already into Classroom Crisis and if that's one above scraping the bottom of the barrel, I got to see what the bottom's like.

It'll be interesting to see which way SHIMONETA moves even if I still haven't made my mind up on it; Satomi Arai's keeping me going so far but I don't think she doesn't have the same quality of cast backing/fronting her performance like Seitokai Yakuindomo had.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
If these polls really meant *nothing*, then ANN wouldn't bother posting them. IMO, at the very least, they create perception about whether or not a series is worth watching. Whether someone *should* be influenced by this sort of poll is really besides the point.

Oh, and math... math never changes.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

This information is interesting but doesn't effect anything. If you enjoy a show, enjoy it. The fact that everyone isn't as enthusiastic as you are should have no bearing on the matter. Do you really need the support of others to enjoy something?

Hehe there's literally as many message saying this than message about people being surprised that a certain series is polling low. Laughing
Hmph!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Hehe there's literally as many message saying this than message about people being surprised that a certain series is polling low. Laughing

With headline that starts with 'The Best and Worst...', people might be upset that their favourite animes rank low and assume that these animes are labelled as the worst by ANN readers , when overrated stuff like Gintama ranks so high in the list :/
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmph! wrote:
With headline that starts with 'The Best and Worst...', people might be upset that their favourite animes rank low and assume that these animes are labelled as the worst by ANN readers , when overrated stuff like Gintama ranks so high in the list :/

Ohhh! touché!

But you know, 'The Best and Not-So-Best of the Season' doesn't quite have enough punch as a title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3