• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glitter Force Slated for December 18 Premiere on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
It's a show aimed at FIVE YEAR OLD GIRLS. Stop acting like the world is ending.

EXCEPT Pretty Cure has an ADULT FANBASE due to being a Magical Girl Fetish's dream.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm also concerned this is being streamed on Netflix as opposed to being scheduled for a TV release. When has Saban ever released an anime they dubbed directly to streaming rather than a TV network like Nickelodeon or Fox when they still had anime? That they're going straight to Netflix leads me to believe not even Saban believes their finished product will succeed.

I think it's likely they tried (and failed) to get it on TV. They've been working with Nickelodeon a lot lately, but perhaps Digimon hasn't been doing as well as they'd hoped, so they passed on Precure.

Gamlin wrote:
EXCEPT Pretty Cure has an ADULT FANBASE due to being a Magical Girl Fetish's dream.

Sure, but the distributors don't care. That audience may exist, but the fact remains that this is still a show made for little girls and it's going to be marketed as such. Anything else is outside of the target demographic, and might as well not exist as far as the companies involved are concerned.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
It's a show aimed at FIVE YEAR OLD GIRLS. Stop acting like the world is ending.
For me this isn't even about Pretty Cure in itself but about the larger problem of the long history of the terrible treatment shoujo anime has gotten in America and how Pretty Cure getting an Americanized edited dub on Netflix and not even TV is the only way girls can watch a superhero show for girls in America because America doesn't think girls watch TV or something.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
I still find it hard to believe that all the editing gets the approval of the Japanese, even from a business standpoint.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Then again, I don't work for Saban or Netflix, so who knows why they aren't putting "Glitter Force" on TV?

Pretty sure the reason would be because Digimon Fusion completely and utterly bombed on television, so they likely either don't feel US TV is a good outlet for anime anymore or they can't find anyone who'd want it. And frankly, they'd be right seeing as anime on US television has been forced almost exclusively into unfavorable slots between 12am and 8am.

Anime just works better on streaming services here.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
I'm also concerned this is being streamed on Netflix as opposed to being scheduled for a TV release. When has Saban ever released an anime they dubbed directly to streaming rather than a TV network like Nickelodeon or Fox when they still had anime? That they're going straight to Netflix leads me to believe not even Saban believes their finished product will succeed.

I think it's likely they tried (and failed) to get it on TV. They've been working with Nickelodeon a lot lately, but perhaps Digimon hasn't been doing as well as they'd hoped, so they passed on Precure.

There's no broadcast syndication for kids shows' anymore, period, so Saban can't relive their early-90's Power Rangers glory days, and the broadcast parent companies of cable networks like Nick, CN and Disney X-D are becoming too self-protective about authoring their own content to market.
Nowadays, third-party kids shows have nowhere else to go but streaming-exclusive, as long as Dreamworks' Netflix-exclusives aren't stinking up the market image.

Quote:
Gamlin wrote:

Sure, but the distributors don't care. That audience may exist, but the fact remains that this is still a show made for little girls and it's going to be marketed as such. Anything else is outside of the target demographic, and might as well not exist as far as the companies involved are concerned.

Saban wants to relive the days when they "almost had" Sailor Moon--ie. making, yes, that version, while still keeping the image rights of the heroines intact enough to sell the dolls and toy marketing--and picked the "next best" little-girl action show to start over with.
And more likely because the Japanese exporters were trying to get a buyer for the bragging rights about their hit moving overseas, and not because Saban was getting resentful about the real Sailor Moon's new renaissance.

They, let us re-emphasize, DO NOT CARE about Japanese male otaku in their teens, twenties or thirties showing interest in the most widely visible magical-girl show, or the hopes of establishing such a fanbase in the US (where they're all flocking to the Brony clubs anyway), Saban just wants to see whether it'll still work like it did twenty-two years ago.
Smart money, and the new "Let Netflix show it when no one else will" mentality, says it won't.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Pretty sure the reason would be because Digimon Fusion completely and utterly bombed on television, so they likely either don't feel US TV is a good outlet for anime anymore or they can't find anyone who'd want it. And frankly, they'd be right seeing as anime on US television has been forced almost exclusively into unfavorable slots between 12am and 8am.

Anime just works better on streaming services here.

This is particularly true since more people look towards the Internet to watch their favorite shows nowadays. At least that's what I heard, anyway.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
It won't last long, the backlash is real and established, it's DoA.
Gundamu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
...So what happened to the other 20 episodes...?

I'm assuming it will be in a Season 2. It's usually what Saban does, they break up their shows, into 2 seasons.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
And at least take heart in knowing that no matter what Saban does to it, it will still ultimately not be a worse Netflix-exclusive cartoon than the New Danger Mouse. Mad

(The Turbo and Madagascar cartoons came close, but...)
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't use Netflix, I hope Glitter Force is a hit so that more anime, including the magical girl-type, can arrive on both Netflix and television later. If it does suffer lack of viewership, Saban can try a plan B in making Pretty Cure relevant for international audiences: ask Toei for rights to produce U.S.-made animated Pretty Cure content.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:

America doesn't think girls watch TV or something.

American girls watch TV, just not animated TV. Very Happy

EricJ2 wrote:

Saban wants to relive the days when they "almost had" Sailor Moon--ie. making, yes, that version,

• Due to the live-action elements being very evocative of a certain franchise that was popular at the time and the lack of any information around the pilot for years, it got stuck with the nickname "Saban Moon", and many people assumed Saban commissioned it. While Renaissance Atlantic – who made this thing with Toon Makers – did work with Saban on the Power Rangers franchise, Saban itself did not actually have anything to do with this pilot. Best as anyone can tell, people at Saban do not like being associated with it.
Keytee1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Gamlin wrote:

My Little Pony makers care about adult fanbase, then why not Pretty Cure?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Whether they care or not in Japan, they're not going to care in a new market. The money to be made from parents buying their daughters toys is simply far too much.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I too wish they could have kept the "Smile Precure" so maybe the Precure franchise could have a chance in America, but oh well.

I dunno what will happen, but I'll try to see how it is...

I've glimpsed at Smile Precure and it was great from what I saw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3