• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked the contrast between the Underworld and CapyLand in ep 9. Manga readers spoiler[ kind of spoiled for me that the new guy is up to no good, otherwise I would actually route for him.] Fujisaki's cute and he seems to click with Hiyori, although that kiss was a bit premature.

Ebisu was less sinister than I expected, and the fight was fun to watch. Yato and Nora were interesting to watch this ep, too. Nora becoming like a protective stream of water around Yato in addition to a sword was very cool. I barely caught how Nora became a gun for Ebisu, it happened so fast! *She* didn't even remember being Ebisu's gun? And Ebisu seemed to only recall it in the heat of the moment? Strange.

Also interesting: how Yato saw Izanami as a (very sexualized) Hiyori, and Ebisu saw her as a matronly restaurateur

Gabriella did a great job explaining Japanese Shinto myth in the review. I suspected that Ebisu was actually Izanami's son since he called her "Mother", but I wasn't sure. I did know that Izanami & Izanagi were siblings and they had a bunch of god-kids.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I barely caught how Nora became a gun for Ebisu, it happened so fast! *She* didn't even remember being Ebisu's gun? And Ebisu seemed to only recall it in the heat of the moment? Strange.

It was crazy-fast - I did a rewind on that one, couldn't figure out wth happened. Pretty sure Ebisu and Nora knew about their connection - they'd feel it, after all. They just chose not to enlighten Yato, to hilarious/nefarious effect.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
So how does controlling the phantom help anyone? Aren't they created from human pain and anguish or something like that? To control them you need to find them and put a mask on them, at that point might as well just kill them, no? Up to now almost all the phantom have been shown to be pretty weak.

Oh and isn't opening a hole out of the underworld a terrible idea? Won't a bunch of nasty stuff just leave into the human world from that hole?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Oh and isn't opening a hole out of the underworld a terrible idea? Won't a bunch of nasty stuff just leave into the human world from that hole?

We've seen the results of a vent before (in S1 when Kofuku interrupted Yato and Bishamon's fight) and while it's not /good/, it's not exactly world ending, and presumably if they escape with the Locution Brush they could easily corral the escaping Phantoms
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, it doesn't look like they can do anything without their regalia, until Daikokuten turns into a giant spider! I guess he can do that! This is definitely a reference to some legend that I don't know about, but it's cool!

That one kind of took me by surprise too, and I can't find reference to it anywhere under any of his bazillion names (can't even find any spider kami!). Maybe he picked it up in Hawai'i. Smile

But I did find out why Fukurokuju wears a stovepipe hat. Wink

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing if Okuninushi stops spiderampaging and heads into the Underworld. He would be a big help, having been there before...
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
Awesome episode, good review, but this bit at the end is twisted-around, I think:
Quote:
In the end, Ebisu tries to perform a counter-sacrifice, giving himself to Izanami in exchange for Yato. She lets go of Yato, but he's come up with a plan to get them both out – conjure up a butt-ton of Phantoms with the Locution Brush and let them loose on the exit's seal. He does so, stunning Izanami, but Yato is also sucked into the heart of the storm. In the next episode (the season's penultimate entry), we'll see how he gets out of it.

Yato shouted the plan for the escape-by-vent - basically if Izanami's sealed all the doors to/from the underwold, they're gonna *make* a door, albeit a temporary one. And Yato & Ebisu were both being sucked "up" into the vent, Wizard of Oz style, but something's gone awry, because they're going in opposite directions by the end.

lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

We've seen the results of a vent before (in S1 when Kofuku interrupted Yato and Bishamon's fight) and while it's not /good/, it's not exactly world ending, and presumably if they escape with the Locution Brush they could easily corral the escaping Phantoms

They're both in pretty crappy shape, and their remaining shinki (Nora & Ebisu's "suit") aren't much better off at this point. Most vents are like tiny surface blowholes, meant to "let off steam" (tea kettle whistle), while I'd assume busting out with half of Hell chasing after you is more *energetic* (Yellowstone). They obviously have "Hero Circle of Protection" working on their side, otherwise they'd be toast by now, but still, they're in it pretty deep.

meiam wrote:
So how does controlling the phantom help anyone? Aren't they created from human pain and anguish or something like that? To control them you need to find them and put a mask on them, at that point might as well just kill them, no? Up to now almost all the phantom have been shown to be pretty weak.

Phantoms/ayakashi seem to both be "pure" entities of pain, anguish, bad-feelings, as you mention, but also spirits of the dead who were themselves corrupted (like the little girl in S1, and shinki in need of absolution). As I understand it, the brush is awesome because it lets you both control *and* summon phantoms at will, from anywhere, for any purpose. So one could conceivably summon anything from tiny pixie-like servants to earth-shattering eldritch horrors, all with the flick of a calligraphy brush and an imaginative naming scheme. And even the tiny ones can spread fear, mayhem, and chaos via susceptible humans.

In the right hands, given enough time & motivation one could summon all the ayakashi and cage them, en masse, "protecting" humanity in perpetuity (a bit like spooning out the Sahara). In the wrong hands, you could start a worldwide chain-reaction, ultimately corrupting the living, dead, and the gods themselves, until nothing was left but phantoms.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the next episode (the season's penultimate entry), we'll see how he gets out of it.

There's 13 episodes for this season, so next week's is the third-last entry.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Not much to say on ep11, since it is all setup, besides, "Welcome to the family, Bishamon & Ebisu" Smile

Quote:
It was nice to see Aiha's armor form (a suit of armor seems appropriate for the goth loli)

Bishamon is the only one I can recall who is shown with Divine Garments (shinki whose "weapon form" is armor), but she is always awesome & badass in them Smile I'm not into figure-collecting, and have yet to really find much in the way of Noragami merch, but I could see having a set of differently-outfitted Bishamon figs. They even draw her as fashionably dressed-down in street clothes at a few points. /end-costume-drooling/

Quote:
I do like how the show doesn't make this easy for him – he did have good times with Nora, and her brief moments of genuine kindness just make it harder for him to leave. All that seems to matter for Nora is being with Yato through any means possible. She's likely also Father's victim, conditioned into acting as the calamity god's ball and chain. Still, there's nothing Yato can do about that. In order to be free from Father, he needs to leave Nora.

And *this* to me, is the real emotional takeaway of the Ebisu arc, for Yato, at least.

S1 makes Nora out to be the bad guy / psycho-ex, but she's as much trapped in Father's web of abusive "parenting" as Yato is. She loves Yato so much, it's not hard to imagine that under other circumstances, she'd be his exemplar and not a 'nora'. But if your only model for love is twisted & cruel, then that's all you've got to offer.

Yato probably (definitely?) has a lot of complicated, conflicting feelings about Nora, plus that hero-voice that urges him to help people in need. But like a recovering addict who has to leave behind still-addicted friends, he's got to find some way to make peace with the idea that maybe he can't save Nora and still save himself.

------

So we've got two episodes left - any "things I'd like to see happen"? Me, I'd just like them to show Father. Even if we don't get a S3, that alone would make me a happy camper.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
Bishamon is the only one I can recall who is shown with Divine Garments (shinki whose "weapon form" is armor), but she is always awesome & badass in them

Did you forget about Ebisu after a single episode? One of his shinki were his gloves to help him fight, another was his coat, and I think 1 or 2 more were also clothing of a sort.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Man, if only Saber looked this awesome in a suit of armor. Anime hyper (Don't take it the wrong way-- Saber's cool, but Bishamon is awesome.)

So in Japan they didn't air Noragami this week and ep 11 is being aired next week. I wonder if the official stream will be delayed next week since they didn't delay it this week.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
mandisaw wrote:
Bishamon is the only one I can recall who is shown with Divine Garments (shinki whose "weapon form" is armor), but she is always awesome & badass in them

Did you forget about Ebisu after a single episode? One of his shinki were his gloves to help him fight, another was his coat, and I think 1 or 2 more were also clothing of a sort.

Yes, yes I did forget. Confused Kind of an epic brain fart / memory lapse there. All 3 of the Shinki he had in Yomi were clothes, but the one that made it out is the primary Garment. He looked so sharp (at the beginning) too...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
So in Japan they didn't air Noragami this week and ep 11 is being aired next week. I wonder if the official stream will be delayed next week since they didn't delay it this week.

I read it was just one channel delaying the episode, there are MBS raws on trackers, but no MX (I assume these are the channels)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

I read it was just one channel delaying the episode, there are MBS raws on trackers, but no MX (I assume these are the channels)

You're right. I only saw the official tweet stating that it wasn't going to be aired on Tokyo MX, and assumed that it therefore wouldn't be aired on other channels. It did air on MBS as scheduled. So what'll happen with the MX broadcast now? =\ Ep 11 is airing this week which means Tokyo will be an episode behind when usually we get it first. =\
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
I've been mistaken about the episode count for a while. The season finale is next week, not this week.

Don't worry. I think many of us were also under the impression that it was ending this week.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
1. Massive bonus points for Yato laying on top of Hiyori and no one freaking out about "amg male is on top of female! **SLAP**" Yes, it wasn't the moment, but I can still imagine other less-elegant anime pulling that scene anyway.

2. Bishamon did not come out "unscathed," you still see the wounds from Izanami's hair all over her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12