• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Anime Fans Pick Best Opening Songs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Didn't Uninstall used to be popular in Japan too? At least on NicoNico, given that it showed up in the medley videos.

Yeah, that's the other Chiaki Ishikawa one I really like. It's one of those themes that you can't imagine anyone would ever skip through (and also probably the least depressing minute and a half of any given Bokurano episode).

H. Guderian wrote:
I get suspicious of any top OP list without Slayer's "Give A Reason."

Oh, great, you just had to mention "Give Me a Reason." Now that song's going to be stuck in my head until I finally break down and rewatch some Next. I hope you're proud of yourself! Laughing
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
If you take the recency bias out Rinbu Revolution and Butterfly should almost certainly be there. Only My Railgun is quite reasonable if you were around for it, it's pretty much still why Nanjo era fripSide is a big deal.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
Few years back, "count down TV" show on Japan had Nanoha A's op Enternal Blaze as the best anime op, Eva op cruel angel thesis rank second on their top 50 anime theme voted by Thear TV viewers.
Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
i think everybody is misunderstood here.
this is the poll for the best opening SONG not opening VIDEO
honestly, this is pretty good list.
i like all of these songs.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
fripSide no 1, hell yeah. I prefer Level 5 Judgelight but I do have to thank Railgun for introducing me to the band. Other than that though the only ones of these I like are Connect, which is good but not amazing, and the Air opening. Oddly enough, I cannot stand the other Lia song up there. But yeah, a lot of great songs are missing. Cruel Angel, You Get to Burning, the Guilty Crown themes,(in fact, you could probably put any noitamina series opening in here), any Kotoko, Kishida Kyodan, Mami Kawada, Angela, Minori Chihara, etc...
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It's all recent stuff... how boring.

Didn't Uninstall used to be popular in Japan too? At least on NicoNico, given that it showed up in the medley videos.
The Bokurano song? Its gorgeous, but I always thought it was obscure. Im surprised but pleased it was that popular. For that matter, didn't the Aquarion song blow up for a while? Maybe Akino should be here.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Few years back, "count down TV" show on Japan had Nanoha A's op Enternal Blaze as the best anime op, Eva op cruel angel thesis rank second on their top 50 anime theme voted by Thear TV viewers.

Eternal Blaze is also an odd omission, but maybe Nana songs fought each other for votes too much.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Love that two Lia songs made the list. Easily my favorite Japanese songstress.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
sim0n2170 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
ugh @ #3. The rest tho...very nice choices. And I wouldn't call "air" or kenshin recent...
What wrong with Attack on Titan's theme song.

Personally, I think the singer sounds as though he has a cold or is half asleep. The lead vocals are really weak and take away from the energy and power of the instrumentation and chorus. I don't begrudge its place in the list; I'm just answering your question. I find it odd that more people don't think the song would be better without the nasal prepubescent vocals, but each to their own.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
Ai wo Torimodose? Pegasus Fantasy? Give a Reason?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
I'm feeling a distinct lack of "Yakusoku wa Iranai" myself.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
Merengues.Pop wrote:
I believe that an important part of an OP is to tell a bit of what the show is about and make you care enough or hype you into watching it... Rewrite from FMA or the AoT intro really fill the role. But I've never watched that railgun thingy and its OP certainly does not even make me bother to watch it. (Should I believe this is a show of moe girls just walking around?)

As for all time best, I still go for Steins;Gate OP as my choice... Beyond the boundary a close second, but maybe because the show it's attached to was a bummer for me.

Don't judge before you watch!! The ToAru series is very good. If you're going to cplain at least watch a couple of episodes. Mad
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
i think everybody is misunderstood here.
this is the poll for the best opening SONG not opening VIDEO
honestly, this is pretty good list.
i like all of these songs.
Even taking this into account, I don't think the songs on here are all that great and it seems like a rather poor list to me. I'm glad the original FMA made the list but Melissa was hardly the best theme song of the original show. I would have picked Ready Steady Go or Rewrite over Melissa which I always thought was a rather bland opening. Angel Beats and Air were good theme songs for their shows but nothing I would consider in a top ten list. The only song on the list that I really agree with might be the Madoka theme song but even then I much prefer the movie theme songs over Connect. To me it seems like this list just self selected a bunch of newbie otaku who have only been anime fans for the past five years and asked them to list their favorite of that bunch. Like how can you have a top ten anime theme song list and not have any Yoko Kanno on it or any Macross songs?
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
No You Wa Shock? No Tough Boy?

Screw this list!
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
All of those are horrible choices. Well, except maybe "Guren no Yumiya" and "Only My Railgun".
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Although the girls from ClariS are my favorite anime singers, I'm surprised Connect reached second place, I didn' thought it was that popular. Anyway I love that song, is beautiful and it is attached completely to some themes of the anime <3

And great as well for Guren no yumiya! Although it isn't my favorite song, it is part of my second favorite OP of all time. Seriously, Attack on Titan' OP is the most hyping thing ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4