• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pop Group Blush Performs Glitter Force Opening Theme, Other Songs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Go Go Glitter Force! Anyway I'm the kind of guy who doesn't judge something until he watches it so I'm pretty optimistic on Glitter Force, I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. Smile

there's nothing to be optimistic about when they already tell in advance they will cut 8 episodes.
Saban is producing this goddamn dub for Netflix,for christ's sake,and yet,they are treating it as if they are making this dub to meet the FCC's standards for for a broadcast channel on saturday morning.Wasn't the point of streaming to exactly avoid this?

Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins also carry the "Original Netflix" seal and they didn't have to go through this bullshit...

Don't be surprised if the dialogues were re-written to fit in lame puns,jokes and one-liners and dialogues where there was supposed to be silence...we will have to wait and see...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
there's nothing to be optimistic about when they already tell in advance they will cut 8 episodes.
Saban is producing this goddamn dub for Netflix,for christ's sake,and yet,they are treating it as if they are making this dub to meet the FCC's standards for for a broadcast channel on saturday morning.Wasn't the point of streaming to exactly avoid this?

The Federal Communications Comission is a primarily technology-based agency; its say over what can or cannot be shown on TV is limited, and the FCC rarely gets involved in content-related incidents. The individual channels themselves and their Standards & Practices departments have much more control.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It sounds about as good as any 4Kids theme song. While 4Kids' dubs had terrible overblown bland/boring background music, their theme songs were always pretty catchy for better or worse, ditto for Saban with Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, and Power Rangers. I'm not interested in this show, but hopefully it works out for them.

I actually find the Dub Smile Pretty Cure theme song to be sort of catchy myself,it's at least way better than the 4kids Mew Mew Power dub Opening,just my personal opinion Laughing

yeah 4kids's Background Music scores (Aside from the theme songs) are mediocore at Best, although I did enjoy they're background music scores for the Original 4kids Pokemon Dub, Ultimate Muscle, and Kirby Right Back At ya

and on rare occassions,4kids will sometimes keep some of the original Japanese music for some of they're dubs like they did with Dinosaur King

but anyway,I'm one of the few actually looking forward to this Dub as Saban ussially has a good above average Track record for some of they're Shows like the old Digimon Adventure Dubs, Flint the Time detective,Mon Colle Knights and Shinzo Smile
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Mizerous wrote:
No rap music for this opening kids love that stuff. Razz

I think they only do rap songs for boy shows. For girl shows they jump on the latest pop bandwagon.

If this is streaming only, then I'm more confused why it's still being censored and changed like a kids anime on TV. I also realized if they're not using Pretty Cure, that means the characters won't have Cure in their name. Will it be like Power Rangers and they'll just be called generic names like Yellow Glitter Force Girl like how every Yellow Ranger in Power Rangers is called "Yellow Ranger" while in Japan they had specific names like Tiger Ranger, Gokai Yellow, Yellow Buster, ToQ Sango, and KiNinger. Makes it easier to discuss them when they have specific names.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It sounds about as good as any 4Kids theme song. While 4Kids' dubs had terrible overblown bland/boring background music, their theme songs were always pretty catchy for better or worse, ditto for Saban with Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, and Power Rangers. I'm not interested in this show, but hopefully it works out for them.

I actually find the Dub Smile Pretty Cure theme song to be sort of catchy myself,it's at least way better than the 4kids Mew Mew Power dub Opening,just my personal opinion Laughing

yeah 4kids's Background Music scores (Aside from the theme songs) are mediocore at Best, although I did enjoy they're background music scores for the Original 4kids Pokemon Dub, Ultimate Muscle, and Kirby Right Back At ya

and on rare occassions,4kids will sometimes keep some of the original Japanese music for some of they're dubs like they did with Dinosaur King

but anyway,I'm one of the few actually looking forward to this Dub as Saban ussially has a good above average Track record for some of they're Shows like the old Digimon Adventure Dubs, Flint the Time detective,Mon Colle Knights and Shinzo Smile

4Kids did keep the Japanese background score for Pokemon for most of their run, but they just filled in the silent scenes with their own pieces.

Also the Mew Mew Power vocal songs are guilty pleasures of mine.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
If this is streaming only, then I'm more confused why it's still being censored and changed like a kids anime on TV. I also realized if they're not using Pretty Cure, that means the characters won't have Cure in their name. Will it be like Power Rangers and they'll just be called generic names like Yellow Glitter Force Girl like how every Yellow Ranger in Power Rangers is called "Yellow Ranger" while in Japan they had specific names like Tiger Ranger, Gokai Yellow, Yellow Buster, ToQ Sango, and KiNinger. Makes it easier to discuss them when they have specific names.

It being edited for content and brevity is simple: They're still appealing to little kids, for whom the source material may be too esoteric. (I don't know the exact edits and what will be removed, or more importantly, what may be added, however.) And we all know name changes will happen--that way, Saban can trademark those names and get money for any possible western merchandise.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I guess I'm stuck in the past because "Netflix Original Series" sounds like a dead-before-it-arrives term since it's not even airing on TV, but I guess Netflix shows can do well from what I hear.

The Golden Globes nominations were just announced:

Netflix scores big win with Golden Globes nominations

• The nominations scored by Netflix for the 73rd Golden Globe Awards came for six different scripted series—from repeat contenders “House of Cards” and “Orange Is The New Black” to new drug cartel drama “Narcos.”

Other digital broadcasters also did well, with Amazon earning five nominations and Hulu nabbing its first.

Cable broadcasters trailed behind their digital peers, with perennial awards giant HBO earning seven nominations and Starz getting six.

Traditional networks ABC, CBS and Fox meanwhile combined for a paltry nine nominations.

In terms of nominations: streaming > cable > network TV

Back when it was just network TV, cable came and pushed the envelope. Now it's streaming that's pushing the envelope. For that reason, more and more personalities want to work in a streaming series, where they can get more recognition, while satisfying the populace's new predilection to binge-watch rather than take it week-by-week.

Stuart Smith wrote:

Not sure if kids shows can follow the same route though

You'd be surprised more and more kids now grow up with tablets in their hands, where they can watch their shows on-demand anytime wherever whenever they want it (and watch it again..... and again...... and again....... as kids do but TV can't provide).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It being edited for content and brevity is simple: They're still appealing to little kids, for whom the source material may be too esoteric.

...which is pretty ironic of Saban, considering that Precure was initially made with adults in mind as well as kids.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Same goes for One Piece when 4Kids got the rights. (Well, One Piece is aimed at a wide audience NOW, at least.) But if the edits done to Glitter Force will be typical of what companies like 4Kids, DiC, and Nelvana did back in the 90's, it's not to make it kid-palatable, but to make it parent-palatable.

Part of the target audience will be kids whose computers, tablets, and smartphones are locked via parental controls. Kids don't get offended by much (and are often fascinated at things grown-ups want to hide from them), but the parents will. Saban has a very real risk of a lot of parents discovering something in the show they find objectionable and then blocking Glitter Force. (I don't know anything about this version of Precure, however.)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Y'all are getting really passionate about a little girl's show designed to sell merchandise first and tell a good story later.

Quote:
I guess I'm stuck in the past because "Netflix Original Series" sounds like a dead-before-it-arrives term since it's not even airing on TV, but I guess Netflix shows can do well from what I hear. Not sure if kids shows can follow the same route though.

Cable TV is dying. Kids are growing up with Netflix and other streaming video. Sports are literally the only reason cable TV hasn't completely died yet.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I already made my positive comment about the theme song on YouTube. It makes me have confidence in Glitter Force, despite the unnecessary localization, and will definitely give it try when I can. I wish the series was also available on Hulu (via Hulu Plus) since I don't have Netflix and not sure if I should get it just for one anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Cable TV is dying. Kids are growing up with Netflix and other streaming video. Sports are literally the only reason cable TV hasn't completely died yet.

And HBO. And the various TV shows here and there that I cannot get on streaming services, but my tastes are kind of off the beaten path. (I have problems finding where Restaurant: Impossible can be seen, for instance.)

Local news are also still popular, albeit with an aging audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3