• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
RocketOtter wrote:

This is the first time Funimation licensed a P.A. Works show, correct?

They also licensed Red Data Girl.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
I really really really really reaaaaaalllyyyyyyyyy don't like first impressions based on one episode. You should give it at 3, or at least 2 1/2.

Quote:
These are not intended to be blanket judgments of these series as a whole

Certainly NOT what it sounds like to me.

No matter what ANN's intention is, you get people who decide not to watch even the first episode of a show based on this 'preview guide'. Pessimism is contagious, after all. If I were an idiot, I probably wouldn't check out a show with a 2. rating given by a 'credible critic'. Others, however...

Don't worry, in the cases where a show has a bad start but picks up speed down the line, word will get around. Though I didn't see it apparently last season's Chivalry of a Failed Knight started off crappy and generic and grew into something impressive. Food Wars started off terrible but became one of my favorite shows by episode 3.

What first episode guides are good for is getting a feel for the types of shows presented. Like harem shows? High school romance? Shonen? The guide is great for picking out what shows would suit your taste so you don't waste your time watching a genre you hate.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Like many others, I found HaruChika to be kind of boring, to the point that a likable lead can't even generate that much interest from me. Plus, unrequited love as a thematic makes me nervous. While it can be executed well, it's really easy for to just become a cheap tear/cringe generator. Nothing in HaruChika's first episode shouts "trust me", though I suppose nothing shouts "doubt me" either, except for an notable lack of entertainment value. I'd give it more credit based on the gay crush but then Chika's final words extends my worries to cover that element as well.

I got a lot more raw enjoyment out of Myriad Colors Phantom World. It was visually interesting the whole way through and both Reina's ability and the dancing telephone poles were really cool. The sheer triteness of the the story and its telling does have me worried. Especially since I kind of want to keep watching it for visual splendor reasons, but when I did that last season with One Punch Man it worked out terribly for me. I hold out hopes, based on small details here and there, that there's more to the story than meets the eye but this could just come out of me wanting to like it.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Price of Stride: The Stride sport appears to be a fictional take on an athletic relay race - but there's no baton passing, races are done on a large marathon scale, and parkour elements are permitted.

Otome game reviewers say Stride's story is more like a sports anime, and the romantic elements felt more secondary to them. Reception was mixed - some liked this different approach, while some hated it because it wasn't romantic enough.

Phantom World: I wouldn't be surprised if the boob jokes were already present in the 2 source light novels. Bur remember also Kyoani's current business model is very in house - they keep their brand of animation consistency and more earnings for themselves.
So far it's worked - their visuals are always stunning, and they're going to move into a newly constructed HQ just for themselves (previously they were only renting office space.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many times during Phantom I thought to myself: "this is sooo stupid! But sooo pretty! But sooo stupid!" It's Beyond the Boundary all over again, minus those awful glasses fetish "jokes" but plus BOOBIES! & the most annoying fairy/sprite/tiny flying piece of fanservice I have ever seen. On the other hand, the main character is a trivia loving bookworm...but he's about to get a harem, isn't he? But he'll be *self aware* about it!

UGH! I love fantasy! I love KyoAni, but I think most of their shows have the most boring topics imaginable. I really want to love KyoAni fantasy--it seems like a match made in heaven. Why do they have to adapt such garbage!?

So I'm torn. But I stuck with Beyond the Boundary and ended up loving it by the end. Maybe this one will get better. Hopefully.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

Otome game reviewers say Stride's story is more like a sports anime, and the romantic elements felt more secondary to them. Reception was mixed - some liked this different approach, while some hated it because it wasn't romantic enough.

I am not surprised by that, however I am sure if they come out with a proper squeal or a fan disc spin off type thing I am sure that is something that will get corrected to some degree.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee wrote:
I had similar confusion over the introduction of Haruhiko's bedroom, which initially appears like large pixels but becomes “real” as he interacts with objects. So, is it real or is it some kind of metaphor that the actual world is really made this way but can only now be truly perceived?

I took it to be a reflection of the idea that our perceptions of the world change depending on how we look at things. Harkening back to the introductory examples, his view of the world doesn't solidify until he focuses on an object. Until then, things are just vaguely perceived sets of colors that only reveal their true nature when he really looks at them (their actual reality remains unchanged, as seen when he reached out to grab his uniform). This could have been done with wavy shapes or smears of color or any number of other ways that suggest that the world is a parade of optical illusions, but since they began with the classic examples of squares that seem to change color depending on the colors next to them, they just stayed with that.

So the metaphor is that his perception changes, not the world.

Lynzee wrote:
Actually, looking at the breastfed thing, maybe boobs were the starting point of this light novel adaptation and the rest was just built around them, like a supportive, supernatural brassiere.

Funniest line I've read all day. Very Happy

I think because it's KyoAni, I'll give Phantom World a chance, but it definitely tested my tolerance more than a few times. At least I will say that KyoAni fan service is relatively tastefully done, without puffy camel-toe panty shots and gourd shaped boobs. But somehow the fan service made the Disney-esque power poles even more incongruent.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So I'm torn. But I stuck with Beyond the Boundary and ended up loving it by the end. Maybe this one will get better. Hopefully.

I doubt KyoAni is capable of doing a crappier written show than Beyond the Boundary. I am approaching Myriad Colors as a fun and silly show. I would be satisfied if it is entertaining along the lines of Amagi Brilliant Park.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I doubt KyoAni is capable of doing a crappier written show than Beyond the Boundary. I am approaching Myriad Colors as a fun and silly show. I would be satisfied if it is entertaining along the lines of Amagi Brilliant Park.

That would require it to have some actual tact, interesting characters, and actual character interactions that aren't ripped from anime 101 books,and finally some actual originality.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I went under Phantom world and literally thought someone's actual score of it was "What is this?" as apposed to numbers but that was just a format change. Laughing

That being said though I didn't really like Phantom world that much. I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would (which I think may only be because I literally was forced to stop halfway through for something and got back to it an hour or two later) but it didn't give me much of any reason to continue. Yeah it looks good but everything Kyoani makes looks good, and given that I'm waiting for both My hero academia and Mob Psycho 100 later this year I can't say I'm especially needy for another popcorn action show (I know very well how much I like both series)

Maybe one of these days Kyoani will have an action show that doesn't stink but until then I'll just hope they don't mess up a silent voice or their sequel of sound euphonioum (which I found to be surprisingly good.)
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Prince of Stride (2.5/5): I didn't think the first episode was that exciting, and found it really derivative, but I'll keep watching for now because I'm a shameless fujoshi. I hope future episodes will animate more of the races than this one did; I'm in this for cute boys and parkour!

Haruchika (3/5): Likable leads with nice chemistry. The mystery was thoroughly uninteresting but I'll keep with it for the characters and general sweetness for now. I also appreciate that one of the main characters is non-straight; it's nice to get some real representation.

I wasn't impressed with the synopsis, but I had an eye on Phantom World because it's Kyoani. After reading the previews, I don't think I'm going to bother.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, this season sure is off to an illustrious start!

Kinda what I was expecting honestly. Aside from some returning shows, this whole crop is a big question mark for me, the first one in a while at that.

HaruChika is probably my favorite of the group so far. It didn't particularly grab me, but I enjoyed some of the jokes, and the prospect of a well-handled gay character is nice, if nothing to write home about yet.

Prince of Stride was alright too, though I felt my attention fading before they finally got to the parkour race. Both Madhouse and Ishizuka seem to be working at half power at most, and I'm not hugely into the show's art design, but if it can pick up with its characters a little and maintain the fun of the races, I might stick with it.

Phantom World just left me deflated. I'm by no means a KyoAni fanboy (I've only really gotten invested in 2 of their shows) but even compared to shows I disliked from them this feels like a big step down. Beyond the Boundary may have spent most of its first episode with cutesy comedy shenanigans, but it still had the decency to introduce a couple of narrative hooks. As it stands I can't even tell what this show is about. These 2 shmucks got a 3rd shmuck to join them in their part time job, some boobs bounced, and sadly Captain Hook never showed up to take Tinkerbell away. As much as I disliked the Magic High School shows we got last season, those still felt like they had more going for them.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Phantom World: Holy shit is this a pile of generic trash. I really don't understand how "phantoms are real" = "everything is pixelated until suddenly it isn't". Characters are a total blah of unoriginal, boring clichés. The scene where the dude tries not to be a LN cliché but ends up being a LN cliché made me roll my eyes. The gratuitous magical fondling from main girl was also ugh, and let's not even talk about boob limbo. Absolutely dropped. Not touching that thing again with a ten-foot pole. Rated 0.5/5 Even the amazing KyoAni animation is basically wasted in this

Pretty much my thoughts on this. It's amazing how there still exists a large enough audience to warrant something like this being made. Everything thing just feels so effortless especially the characters. Even the little girl (forgot her name) who eats the phantoms reminded me of the girl from sasami@ganbare but somehow a boring version 'Rolling Eyes'. There must be some machine that mass produces scripts like this.

HaruChika: Didn't know this was a PA works show until i read the reviews. It's pretty ugly and the lead's eyes, man the first thing i thought was that she had chiaka's eyes but then they just looked off the more i saw them. I was so bored i couldn't even make it 11 minutes in. I wont even make the effort to watch the second episode.

Prince of Stride: The best of the three but mediocre at best. The race was good enough for me to try the second episode. At least this club does something I've never seen before. Also i really like how bright and colorful this anime is.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I went under Phantom world and literally thought someone's actual score of it was "What is this?" as apposed to numbers but that was just a format change. Laughing

So did I!

The funny part is that, from the description of the show, I was actually interested.

Once the reviews started, my interest kind of jumped out of the window; I'm not big on cheap fanservice shows.

I will be checking out Prince of Stride and Haruchika, though, for curiosity's sake.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'm a little torn on Myriad Colors Phantom World, so I think I'm gonna thought-dump here. Let's rattle off the pros and cons (according to me):

The Good:
-Visuals (direction, animation, color design, background art, etc) are all up to Kyoani's usual standard. So, fantastic, in other words.
-Interesting powers
-Really cool opening scene
-Likeable main character
-Interesting concept for the world
-Unabashedly eclectic and weird
-Some good humor

The Bad:
-That mini-phantom girl was kind of annoying and reminded me way too much of that one mini robot from Chobits
-Poorly-implemented info-dumping
-The setting/world building is still vague in spite of this
-I still have no idea where this show is going
-Really, incredibly stupid at times

The Meh:
-Above-average amounts of fan-service, or at least a lot more than I was expecting. I'm not really averse to it, so I could go either way on this one, depending on how much there is in the future.

Overall, I'll rate this one generally positively, as I have to admit, for sheer entertainment value it was great. I actually laughed out loud more than once at the sheer ridiculousness of it all, and I enjoyed myself all the way through. 3.5/5 for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 29