• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nicktoons' Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Teaser Reveals February Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard of the show myself, Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V's Japanese raw is much better than the dub. It would be nice if the show could be picked up for streaming with subs.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you ANN. YouTube user Meowstic here. Loving the feature and credit!
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Hope you US folk enjoy this.

lol Did they even finish Zexal on Nicktoons?

No, but Hulu did. Good news is, Arc-V is actually AIRING on a U.S. network. Bad news: Nicktoons is airing it.

I know it finished on Hulu. That's why I laughed at asking if it did on Nicktoons because I was confident it didn't. lol

AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
From what I've heard of the show myself, Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V's Japanese raw is much better than the dub. It would be nice if the show could be picked up for streaming with subs.

I'll assume you've never watched Yugioh in japanese ever because that shouldn't even worth giving a thought. lol

Amara Tenoh wrote:

Darn. This would've been the perfect article for you to be first in. Wink
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if the quality writing will get through with this dub.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:

What is that supposed to mean?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:

What, exactly, do you mean by this?
SweetCoconut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I still don't like "Swing Into Action" catchphrase, it would have been nice if they kept the original one. About time on US huh?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
I've watched the first two episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V and I didn't particularly enjoy it I prefer the Main character to be a bit more serious like in the original Yu-Gi-Oh! and 5Ds. Smile
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

AwaysAnnoyed wrote:

I'll assume you've never watched Yugioh in japanese ever because that shouldn't even worth giving a thought. lol

What shouldn't be worth giving a thought? The Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V is better than the English Arc-V.

I didn't care enough to watch Zexal, so I don't know which is better.

I have watched a little bit of 5D's in Japanese too, and I also think the Japanese voices fit the characters better than the English voices.

I've only seen GX in English, so that's my only frame of reference so I can't compare it to the Japanese.

The original I obviously watched in English. I love Dan Green's voice. I did try to re-watch the original series in Japanese, but it's not the voices I used to, so it's just strange (if this is what you meant, then yes I agree, but don't apply this to Arc-V)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
To me, the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise hasn't been all that spectacular lately: The people on this anime taking a simple kids card game way too serious. It was fun and entertaining in the first 3 seasons, but now....

But that's the whole franchise's schtick: That the card game really IS a big deal and has strange powers that everyone wants to have a piece of.

It appeals very well to kids and their wishes.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
That theme song makes me want to puke. It sounds like an ad for a card game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! itself is one big ad for the card game. Well, it didn't begin that way, but it turned into that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
From "IAmA Pokémon Voice Actor, LGBT Organizer and the Director of RootsCamp, Jamie McGonnigal AMA", I asked Jamie why 5D's didn't air on TV or Hulu.

He said that actors are far down the line to the point that they rarely hear about the politics or the behind-the-scenes stuff stuff. He added that his character was set up to be kind of a big character and then those characters kind of disappeared. He added that it was fun while it lasted.

Reddit user bacondevil gave an explanation:
Quote:
I worked with Jamie years ago back at 4Kids so perhaps I can answer this for you. (Hey Jaime, glad you and Tom Wayland are keeping busy!)

The final episodes of 5Ds were never produced so you will not be seeing them on Hulu. The show was not pulled because of ratings, it was replaced by ZEXAL. There is only one production team that handles all of Yugioh(s) so unfortunately a choice must sometimes be made to end one series early so that we can begin on a new series. Not how we wanted to do it, but it was unavoidable.

I do not know if the ad revenue from airing those 18 episodes on Hulu would have offset the cost to actually produce the episodes. But time was not on our side.

This same explanation likely applied to GX as well. In addition, I remember hearing on YT video of a Sean Schemmel where someone mentioned his GX character. He said that 4Kids never licensed the final season.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! itself is one big ad for the card game. Well, it didn't begin that way, but it turned into that.

First off all, isn't any anime just a big ad for its manga, light novel, visual novel, or game source?

Secondly, to use your word, even 'ads' have plots, and Arc-V's plot is really interesting and intricate.

Thirdly, as for being an 'ad'; I don't know how much you know of the current card game yourself, but the amount of cards in print in the US are much more than those featured in the show. So the anime is more of an ad for the game itself, and not so much the cards themselves.

Either way, the 90th episode of Arc-V aired this past weekend, so if the cards bring in enough money for Konami to keep sponsoring an anime, why not?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Of course. Just because a show is an advertisement for the merchandise (in this case, the card game) doesn't mean it has to be bad, which was my original intent (a reply to a statement implying that an "ad for a card game" is inherently negative). If you talk to people who grew up in the 80's, you'll find a lot of fondness for shows like Transformers Generation 1 and Captain Planet, which were obviously meant to sell toys. Clearly, they enjoyed the stories for those shows too.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
Looks like "Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V" is finally coming to America. Hopefully,Nicktoons will try to finish the whole thing,unlike what they did with "Zexal." I have no idea how it ended. Hopefully,they will here.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
To me, the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise hasn't been all that spectacular lately: The people on this anime taking a simple kids card game way too serious. It was fun and entertaining in the first 3 seasons, but now....

Not to mention last season's dub was just awful and now this one's just as bad.

and this is here why no one really cares about the series unless your a 7-12 yr old boy.

why? cause konami/4k media is using the same 4kids style editing when it comes to this series. so while nicktoons will be celebrating that they got this series from the recycle pile, it will do dead squat to their ratings ever since korra finished its run a year ago and instead, just skip the broadcast and just watch the fansubs.

sure its main target is for american kids, however for the rest of us otakus,especially those that like dubs and like TCG based series, just skip this mess of a franchise and watch series like Selector Infected WIXOSS & Selector Spread WIXOSS

their a hell of a lot better in the TCG based anime genre series than the crappy ass kids style editing in series like Arc V and Cardfight Vanguard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2