• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Companies Buy Rights For Territories They Don't Service?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The problem I have with this. Is it doesn't guarantee us a home video release and/or dub. Which is some serious BS.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Fronting the money IS producing it, right?

There's more than one definition of the word.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
The problem I have with this. Is it doesn't guarantee us a home video release and/or dub. Which is some serious BS.

I think I feel the same since I dont seem able to name any amzn shows that got disc releases.

Though even if a company gets worldwide rights or territories, alot of places dont have disc companies or markets where people buy anime.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Respecting that, both are responsible: the English companies for buying licenses to territories don't want to exploit, and Japanese companies for allow that. Thanks to that, in Latin America we have lost very good series, and in I blame Funimation for that. Thanks to them we have lost big series like Attack on Titan, Death Parade, Dagashi Kashi and now My Hero Academia. These series have NEVER reached in our territory legally because of the abuses of that company.

If Japan oversees foreign companies and verify whether companies are putting the anime in the territories that they have specified (come on, they even oversees translations and illegal uploads on YouTube), it would be another story. But it is obvious that Japan won't do that because they only thinks about the little money that foreign companies will give to them to recover the initial investment.

Remember that Fuji TV as a company is in red numbers and they NEED the money and they won't care if that could screw the rest.
MexRAGE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
Respecting that, both are responsible: the English companies for buying licenses to territories don't want to exploit, and Japanese companies for allow that. Thanks to that, in Latin America we have lost very good series, and in I blame Funimation for that. Thanks to them we have lost big series like Attack on Titan, Death Parade, Dagashi Kashi and now My Hero Academia. These series have NEVER reached in our territory legally because of the abuses of that company.

Pretty much, even when Attack of Titan was avaible on crunchyroll on USA, it wasn't on Latinamerica, because funimation bought the rights to latinamerica, even when they don't have spanish options for their services and they region block us completly from it... When Netflix was released on mexico, they did had some anime from funimation (without spanish subs), but those were eventually removed too (apparently, they lost the rights to Terror in Resonance last year on latinamerica, because it got added on mexican netflix, but only with spanish subs and funimation logo is nowhere to be seen on it)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
For all we know, Amazon is getting involved on the production side, much like Netflix is with Perfect Bones. Because it takes some years and these projects are likely in early development, we won't have heard about them yet. Alternatively, Amazon could be testing the waters with the Noitamina shows, which, with some very obvious exceptions, are more palatable to a general audience.

I don't like having simulcasts spread out so much. Part of this is a desire to keep titles on two major websites (Funi + CR) and a few key titles on the free-HD-with-an-account Daisuki. All services allow free access after a period of time. Hulu approaches anime similarly, but Netflix does not and Prime probably will not. I'm also curious to see if Amazon "gets" anime fans and knows how to handle these titles.

What I really, really want to come out of this are new projects with Netflix or Amazon footing the bill, or most of it. Projects that'd be difficult to get off the ground otherwise. Iron Fortress would have still been produced and simulcast without Amazon.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
While it's not literally true, I always pretend that licensors think that Latin America is actually mexicans in the US. What's a Costa Rica?

Anime in Latin America has been in the backburner for a looong time and I believe it's gonna be for a little while, at least past 2020, most likely. We have been fed 'till sickness with North American cartoons. Like, yeah, we do have the most important titles such as Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and such, but aside that you'll have infinite reruns of Phineas and Ferb, Fairly Oddparents, Scooby Doo (from oldest version to the newest), Tom and Jerry, Jake Long, and the most cringing CGI revamps of old series, or a sitcom starring the newest Disney star.

Literally, the only anime to watch here is Pokémon, and only in countries like Mexico (I'm not sure if in others) they screen anime with Spanish subtitles in cinemas, and it's not movies only, FULL series too! If you want to watch, say, Free! like it was once screened there, you have to go like three or four days separate to watch it all.

Japan and USA fear the piracy of Latin America, as if their own piracy wasn't strong enough; but anime streaming didn't increase from one day to the other in the US either, but biz ain't having patience with Latin America.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Fronting the money IS producing it, right?

There's more than one definition of the word.

dtm42 wrote:
Well then, why didn't Amazon pay for the entire production from the start?

Sounds like the relevant definition is: "to cause to have existence or to happen"
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Japan and USA fear the piracy of Latin America, as if their own piracy wasn't strong enough; but anime streaming didn't increase from one day to the other in the US either, but biz ain't having patience with Latin America.

Partially yeah, but the problem are the fans that only watches from streaming sites like AnimeID or AnimeFLV and not from Crunchyroll (it's also free, albeit with a 1-week delay, you have to pay for a 0-day release). And the fans who watches legally and don't demand for more anime. It's because of that the abuses are still ongoing.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The content wars are going to replace the old ratings wars in determining network values.

And the big loser will likely be Toonami.

Unless Toonami, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, or Time Warner start streaming anime then I think you're right. But hopefully not in the near future.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
Anime streaming is going global.

... and this confirms that anime has gone mainstream; Amazon, Netflix, etc. do not pay good money for a TV series that is going to be seen by a niche audience.

Sure they do if the niche is large enough. If you actually take the time to go through their catalogs, all the big media streaming services have well stocked niche categories.

There's a huge shakeout in the TV world coming, and that's driving the big services to explore ever deeper niches to maximize their subscriber base. At the same time, anime is seeing greater penetration in the geek world.

What the recent developments mean is that anime has finally grown big enough, and the streaming services are now digging deep enough for markets, that they've met in the middle.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Literally, the only anime to watch here is Pokémon, and only in countries like Mexico (I'm not sure if in others) they screen anime with Spanish subtitles in cinemas, and it's not movies only, FULL series too! If you want to watch, say, Free! like it was once screened there, you have to go like three or four days separate to watch it all.

Don't forget DBZ KAI. Apart from those two, there's nothing else to watch. Here in Peru, it has to be HUGE to be screened in theaters (so only Dragon Ball dubbed and sometimes Naruto subbed). As otaku fandom is not that big here, only mainstream and old series will get the attention of the general public.

And yes, piracy here is awful. It's freaking awful, and people really don't understand that they can watch things free and legally thanks to services like Crunchyroll or Daisuki (we got One Punch Man in 1080p for free, but people still watched it on AnimeFLV (in 480p) or other illegal services). And then there's the problem when FUNImation (or Sentai when it only streams that show on Hulu) licenses a show, which means no anime if you're not from North America (or from the UK). It's an awful paradox, because it leads to more piracy, and now that Amazon has gotten into the business, anime will be a bit more inaccessible until, well, they realize that there are other countries that also consume anime.

Hopefully shows licensed by Amazon (and hopefully the ones from Netflix as well) get a physical release from them and not from another company, like Sentai with Knights of Sidonia, as I don't think we'll get Amazon Prime's video service or Hulu soon. That way I would buy something I really care for, like Scum's wish anime or The Seven Deadly Sins, in the case of Netflix.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
And yes, piracy here is awful. It's freaking awful, and people really don't understand that they can watch things free and legally thanks to services like Crunchyroll or Daisuki (we got One Punch Man in 1080p for free, but people still watched it on AnimeFLV (in 480p) or other illegal services). And then there's the problem when FUNImation (or Sentai when it only streams that show on Hulu) licenses a show, which means no anime if you're not from North America (or from the UK). It's an awful paradox, because it leads to more piracy, and now that Amazon has gotten into the business, anime will be a bit more inaccessible until, well, they realize that there are other countries that also consume anime.

Hopefully shows licensed by Amazon (and hopefully the ones from Netflix as well) get a physical release from them and not from another company, like Sentai with Knights of Sidonia, as I don't think we'll get Amazon Prime's video service or Hulu soon. That way I would buy something I really care for, like Scum's wish anime or The Seven Deadly Sins, in the case of Netflix.

Oh, yeah, Dragon Ball Kai, I sometimes watch it just to show some support because goddamn I hate the new voices, although the original cast will return for Buu arc.

Yes, I agree that piracy is awful, but at the same time we forcibly got used to be that one part of the continent nobody cares about and to us is normal to NOT have legal streaming services, in fact, to me it's a little weird when I see North Americans/UK going like "WHAT, NO LEGAL STREAMING?! SCREW THIS!" and we here are like "Kay, whatever I guess". And it gets even more irrelevant to us when we also learn English, as long as we can watch it we literally don't give a damn.

However, I don't think it's impossible, Saint Seiya Soul of Gold had HUGE support in Daisuki, hell, in the first few minutes of the first episode 11 millions viewers were watching, and the amount went up every week, as the official website. In my case from time to time I visit some episodes of whatever I'm watching in CR (if it is there to watch, like HxH) to add to the count. If, only if the service given really intended to include Latin America, I think that it would work, but you'll need time and a little patience.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:

How do companies earn money for anime they stream in those countries? What product is there for people to consume there?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
The content wars are going to replace the old ratings wars in determining network values.

And the big loser will likely be Toonami.

Unless Toonami, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, or Time Warner start streaming anime then I think you're right. But hopefully not in the near future.

If they ever want to stay in the anime game, they need to widen their pool of titles beyond "kewl ackshun" series, but good luck convincing them that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4