• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this a lot so far, but if we never have to revisit the orphanage scenes again, I'll like it even more. They've replayed that what, 8 times now? If they'd just give us the audio memory while showing him in the present or something, even that would be a welcome change.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bungo Stray Dogs is still working to get its feet on the ground this week, and it really needs to find the balance between humor and action.

Hell, drop the action, keep the comedy, and it'll be fine. The action and plot are some real edgelord stuff in this and drags the show down a lot, to me. Visually, I find it really good, and the comedy sometimes actually makes me laugh, so I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more, if only this pesky serious Mafia thing wasn't happening.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying this show, that was another good episode.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I love ranpos character design personally
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a better 20 minute mystery than that other Edogawa's been able to pull off for months now, so props for that.

I still have trouble hand-waving his inability to navigate the city though. His deductions require observation and understanding of basic human behaviors, but he fails to use both of those himself. If exonerating a suspect required them sharing such eccentrically unlikely shortcomings, would he be able to factor it in? Would anyone believe him?

It wasn't clear - was his being 26 surprisingly younger that he seems or surprisingly older? I didn't see the relevance of bringing it up at all.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It wasn't clear - was his being 26 surprisingly younger that he seems or surprisingly older? I didn't see the relevance of bringing it up at all.

Since 26 is ancient by anime standards, I assumed the implication was that Ranpo is older than he looks, but I have no idea why Dazai found it necessary to bring this up. In any other medium, I would have assumed just the opposite, though.

Why was the victim's lack of makeup such a damning piece of evidence? If the body had been submerged in water, wouldn't that conceivably wash off any cosmetics she had been wearing?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Not necessarily, in this era of waterproof, 24 hour makeup. But his reasoning is still faulty on that. I think the implication was that she hadn't had time to go home and apply makeup. But even if detectives take the weekend off (as apparently criminals also do?), working late wouldn't mean no makeup either, for the same reason.

Lack of makeup almost seems counter-intuitive if the person she was meeting was her boyfriend. Even if he's seen her without, she'd take a second to touch up before meeting with him. Smile

I wasn't too worried about that though, since the condition of the body told more than the lack of makeup did. 90% of the solution depended entirely on their matching watches anyway, with about 9% coming from his stating that two shots were "extra."

Didn't they say something about not being able to find the bullets?? Did he dig them out of her before dumping her?! That would've been more traumatic than curb stomping her body. Shocked
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
I'm happy the Rebecca-san didn't go into episode 5 with the 'this might not be a very good show' mindset from the 4th episode review. It's important to stay positive!
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We don't know Kunikida's role in this case specifically, but he somehow feels beholden to the son of one of the deceased detectives

We do know - he was the one who told the police of the criminal's hide-out, and it was there where the Azure King blew himself up. Kunikida feels responsible because, if he had never revealed the Azure King's hide out in the first place, the hacker boy's father might have still lived. This guilt feeling is what drives Kunikida to help the hacker boy.

The pace also feels jumpy for me, and the worse part is that episode 6 is not a good indication of where the story is heading. I might even say that it's a slight diversion; not on the level of filler, but still a detour. I hope they get back to the next arc by episode 8.

I was worried that they won't be able to cover a lot of material in just the 5 episodes that are left, but looking at this current pacing, I'd say five episode may be plenty of time. I don't want the story to be rushed, but that's not for me to decide, is it? This is like the opposite of My Hero Academia, which is moving at a snail's pace. Did BONES divide their workers into the 'chill af' half and the 'OMG it's only 23 minutes let's cram as much as we can into it!' half?

Anyway, that comic bit on Dazai made me laugh. There's something inherently hilarious about eating hallucinatory mushrooms.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the idea that Kunikida is desperately trying to get these men out while they are suffocating before his eyes is unsettling all on its own.

I dunno, that entire scene I just kept thinking "why doesn't he shoot the glass like he did for the lady" and couldn't take it seriously at all. Sure, just shooting it wouldn't have broken it, but it would've helped about 400 times more than punching it like that and immediately giving up as soon as Dazai said there was gas involved (which only turned on when they got close anyway? How in the hell did the driver plan that? Were the other people involved in charge of that? Why would they let the girl escape then? Wasn't she important?)

Akutagawa's confrontation with Kunikida was also just kind of awful. We saw how dangerous his ability is but it... doesn't work against Kunikida's gun? And he forgets to eat the space and instead turns around to deal with... water? Not to mention the good old "car door stops bullets" part.

I just can't get the feel out of my head that this show's too pretty for its stupid plot. I like the comedy way more than when it tries taking itself seriously.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Maybe I wasn't following the story properly, but Akutagawa's appearance in this week's episode confused me. Does he have some connection to the organ-harvesting ring - or did the show simply wish to remind us that he exists?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Maybe I wasn't following the story properly, but Akutagawa's appearance in this week's episode confused me. Does he have some connection to the organ-harvesting ring - or did the show simply wish to remind us that he exists?

He is part of the Port Mafia, and the driver inadvertently abducted one of their members for organ-harvesting.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
He is part of the Port Mafia, and the driver inadvertently abducted one of their members for organ-harvesting.

Whoops! My focus must have been elsewhere during the driver's confession.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
Bungo Stray Dogs is still working to get its feet on the ground this week, and it really needs to find the balance between humor and action.

Hell, drop the action, keep the comedy, and it'll be fine. The action and plot are some real edgelord stuff in this and drags the show down a lot, to me. Visually, I find it really good, and the comedy sometimes actually makes me laugh, so I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more, if only this pesky serious Mafia thing wasn't happening.

Unfortunately that won't be happening. I've only read ahead a few chapters but the comedy barely seems to tone down for the action either. Personally I don't really mind it as I can watch nice action without having to worry about any of the characters.
Though this new episode surprised me as it completely diverges but apparently begins to follow the light novel instead? Though I rarely see an anime follow two sources like this so that's pretty interesting. But it's pretty clear they're saving all the good parts for the second cour. (It's Seraph of the End all over again).
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a bit off that Kunikida seemed more upset that spoiler[the true culprit, a woman he only just met] died, rather than spoiler[the kid who he had been taking care of for years]. I tend to watch shows like this hoping that one likeable single-episode character doesn't end up f*cked over before the final curtain, since they're the only ones ever in any real danger.

*sigh*

Following right after Rampo's introductory episode, this was not a good episode for me (emotionally). All it really accomplished is to make me grateful that the Tanizakis at least are sturdy enough to survive multiple gunshot wounds long enough to get treatment. I'd like a little less doom-and-gloom in the next episodes, thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12