• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mob Psycho 100 (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 28: Getting Carried Away ~100%~

Summary: After being talked to by more than one girl, Mob begins to realize that he’s actually kind of popular, now, making him feel a little more manly on the inside. Later, an announcement is made at a meeting of Psycho Helmet Religion followers by a mysterious figure claiming to be the “founder” of the Divine Tree.
----------------------------------

Comments: This episode was pretty funny for Mob’s growth. I love the older, macho, chiseled look they gave him whenever his ego got inflated. Thinking back to my own high school days, I was much like Mob and pretty oblivious when girls talked to me, and I never really read anything else into it. I was usually absorbed with just trying to get through the school day so I could focus on hobbies or hanging out with friends, afterwards.

One thing that’s different, though, was I didn’t really confide to anyone. I just let things be as they were and left it to other people to point it out to me. But because of my apprehension to attention, I was usually in denial to accept that people were actually saying good things about me. I would even purposely sabotage myself so people would pay less attention. I don’t think it worked, though.

In my final year of high school, there was a Senior Breakfast being held where everybody got free food, and certain people were recognized for whatever social title as voted by classmates. I was voted as “Quietest Person.” But I wasn’t even present to receive my award thingy (or whatever they were giving out), because I didn’t even go to the Breakfast. I stayed at the school in my first period English class with a small group of people that also didn’t feel like going. I hate crowds. And the irony of not being there to be recognized for Quietness was a hoot.

As for this episode’s plot, I’m pretty sure the “founder” of the Divine Tree is Dimple. He doesn’t have the red cheeks, but I can recognize Akio Ohtsuka’s legendary baritone voice anywhere. I don’t know that he has the power to really control that thing. But being the opportunist he is, I wouldn’t put it against him to try and take advantage of whatever psychic energy that tree is giving off. And he also has a previous history of trying to make cults out of people. It should be interesting to see what if his true intentions are good or bad.

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 29: Divine Tree 1 ~The Founder Appears~

Summary: The day after the “founder” of the Divine Tree made his announcement, all the citizens appear to be on board with the, now unified, Psycho Helmet Religion. But Serizawa breaks out of a psychic brainwash not once, but twice, to discover that the “founder” is none other than Dimple.

Comments: Yep, so Dimple is doing his thing, again. He likes having power, and I’m wondering just how much he’s really changed, if at all, since Mob defeated him in Season 1. In the previous episode, Dimple was essentially trying to get Mob to embrace the potential of being everyone’s leader. But Mob being Mob, I definitely would have a hard time seeing him lead a bunch of people, especially in the way Dimple wants him to.

I like that Serizawa is a real bro for Mob and trying to do what’s right by investigating the whole ordeal, in the first place. And normally, he’d beat Dimple, but the Tree is clearly giving off some kind extra energy for Dimple to use. I have to give it to Dimple, though, for making all the food and drink to brainwash everyone. The reaction people were having when Mob approached the Tree seems like the brainwashing was specifically engineered to have everyone follow either Mob or his look-a-like.

I’m pretty sure even with the Tree’s power, Mob would be able to beat Dimple. But what if the Tree is a product of Mob’s residual psychic energy from his fight with Toichiro at the end of Season 2? Or what if that energy is, somehow, representative of Mob's subconscious, but also a mix of his and Toichiro’s creating something new? Maybe it’s even a kind of dark energy with negative side effects like mind control and turning people bad. Heck, the Tree itself could even be alive and pulling everyone’s strings. I’m interested to see where this goes.

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 30: Divine Tree 2 ~Peace~

Summary: After Dimple is revealed to be the founder of the Psycho Helmet Religion (cult), he does everything he can to convince Mob of its benevolent presence and goal towards a greater good. Mob, however, disagrees with Dimple’s methods, and they battle over their ideals.

Comments: So it turns out the Tree is a giant drain for psychic energy, absorbing most of Mob's attacks, but Dimple himself doesn’t seem to be too affected by it. Then again, Mob is getting closer to 100%, and we all know what kind of overdrive and limit breaks that produces. Although, now, I’m wondering if Dimple is trying to push him all the way because of something special he (Dimple) knows about the Tree?

I also feel like this puts us back to square one with how we first saw Dimple: exploiting religion as a form of control and claiming it for some self-righteous notion. I honestly thought he was making some headway at redeeming himself for his past behavior. But maybe he’s a bad guy and was always a wolf in sheep’s clothing, after all, which is disappointing from a character building perspective. I find it funny they made him look like Golden Frieza, though.

I'm wondering what Mob's emotion will be when he reaches this limit. All of his other explosions had a different emotion each time: rage, sadness, animosity, gratitude, and courage. He seems like he's getting pretty agitated, so I'm guessing it'll be something along the lines of a "reaction" emotion, as in a feeling that causes him to act out. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be enough to kick Dimple's ass and probably hurt, if not destroy, the Tree.

Caps:

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:37 am Reply with quote
Maybe embarrassment? Just when he thought he was finally being kinda cool, Dimple did insult his shirt, and that seemed to be what sent him over. Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
That would actually be really funny, yet completely in line with the tone of the series. I can imagine embarrassment causing Mob to lash out in an overpowered fit to save face for his perceived overconfidence, but at the same time beating Dimple and destroying the tree, then breaking everybody's brainwashed state and putting everything back to normal. You could even call it a kind of "happy accident" Laughing.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:34 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 31]
Tony K.
Subscriber

[Reserved for ep. 32]
Tony K.
Subscriber

[Reserved for ep. 33]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 34]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:45 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 35]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:10 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 36]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:44 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 11

This episode gave me flashes of what I experienced with the game Celeste, which I have seen one of the best portrayals of mental illness and similar issues along the lines of anxiety. A major part of its plot was around the character battling their inner demons made manifest, with the character seeing it as their dark reflection that they want to just go away because they don't need/want it. And while doing that might sound good as in trying to get rid of a toxic part of yourself, it actually makes it worse and hit back harder and stronger every time. The answer in the end was that the other part is actually trying to genuinely look out for you, and rather than treat it with fear or hostility, recognise that it is actually really afraid, and the best thing to do is actually confront where it is coming.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 37]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:07 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (series finale)

Looks like that is the end the series. Mob looks like he comes to face for his true feelings, such as why he actually likes Tsubomi (that she doesn't treat him different), and faces his inner understanding that his master is really a fraud. But then Reigan tells Mob/Shigeo the truth of the matter, and that now Mob/Shigeo doesn't need Reigan as the crutch of before, and that he needs to be both true to himself, but never see himself as any more special for those powers than anyone else. Mob turns back, and has the final courage to confess to Tsubomi, who apparently turns him down, which is probably because he had for the length of the show built her up so much that they hadn't really had time to actually know each other. Mob looks to be fixing that into the future by continuing to talk to her on phone, I guess treating her as a person, and he himself seems to have reached a happy medium with his emotions, now be able to emote. He probably won't be blowing up again if he keeps it up.

The season had some good moments, but it also had some weird parts, that really didn't connect with me much. The whole trying to organise the contacting UFO for otaku girl was something I really couldn't get very interested in, and the whole alien parts itself really didn't work with me. I kept expecting another shoe to drop, that it is kind of weird that it didn't. If I was to point to a real high point of the season, it would have been when Mob really confronted Dimple, refused to use any violence or force, and asked Dimple what he wanted out of it all. Dimple himself realising that his whole wanting to be a god was kind of childish, wrong, and probably wouldn't make himself happy in the end.

My rating will be Good (7/10), worth seeing, but either the parts that didn't work for me or perhaps some element of growing out of it after 6 or so years, it didn't have the same wow factor on me that I kind of remember previously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5