• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 91 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"...

Very powerful line. Also to me it made it clear Nero DIDN'T kill Angelo. Why would he even tell him that otherwise? Nero on the other hand is doomed. I think he knew that and wanted to take the heat from Angelo so he'll be able to run away and live a new and hopefully happy life.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I think either outcome is equally likely based on the evidence. Both sets of footprints are washed away, so unless Nero was backtracking his own prints, he never left the beach either, if the footprints indicate anything beyond the end of their journey together. Assuming it's not his ghost driving away, I have to conclude that some distance ahead out of the frame one or both of them left the beach. I'm slightly on the side of Avilio surviving, but only because otherwise Nero's counsel to him that "you don't need a reason to live, you just live" is kind of pointless for him to say.

Maybe he'll go hook up with Nero's sister... Nah, I kinda favor the both die ending. I know symbolism trumps logic in these things. Wink

Anyway, there's still one big question left hanging for me and that's who fired that shot that sent Avilio running outside in the first episode, and who/what were they shooting at? I'd write it off to a small continuity oversight except that it's still a factor in the final episode flashback. The latter almost makes it seem like someone was shooting at Avilio, but in the first episode, he's looking at a picture, looks up toward the sound of gunfire (rather than ducking) and runs outside. It was important enough to include in both scenes, but it still baffles me.

Anyway, I enjoyed the series, and hope to binge it all with a dub too, but probably not until spring.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
So spoiler[I'm guessing Avilio died and the reason we didn't see his body on the beach was because it got washed out into the ocean? His footprints weren't seen going on so maybe this happened.]

Maybe it's a "Footprints in the Sand" situation and Nero carried him the rest of the way.

spoiler[But yeah, Avilio's dead. By the end, he was such an empty vessel, and ultimately he just wished he would have been killed back when he was a kid like the rest of his family. Nero probably met his end soon after, anyway, unless he changed his identity. With the Vanetti family all but wiped out, maybe the Galassias won't even bother to look for him. And I think Nero is done with that life, anyway.]

The big winner in all this is Strega Galassia. But it's not like Avilio was going to be able to wipe out the entire mob.

A more personal, understated conclusion, but a good one nevertheless. I enjoyed this series immensely. It's an 8/10.

Agreed. It was a sadly satisfying ending to one of the best anime I've seen this year. Very Happy
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime of the year for me so far. This strived away from so many generic narratives and tropes while simultaneously being very strong. An easy 8/10 or higher.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
The Crunchyroll rendition of the final episode's title made me quite unhappy. It should read, "hover through the fog and filthy air"—the Japanese text is a line from Fukuda Tsuneari's translation of Macbeth, just as all the other episode titles were. If I was able to track the quote down with my mediocre Japanese, I can't help but feel that professional translators—particularly translators who already knew the pattern of 91 Days' episode titles—should have been able to work it out with no trouble at all...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
HOLD IT! I just noticed something strange, now. When the two were walking on the beach, Nero had stopped while Avilio kept going forward. Nero was walking on Avilio's right side, but it's shown at the very end that Nero's footprints are further up while Avilio's were a little ways behind. What does that mean???

I may be overthinking this, but it's just something I had to point out.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Part of me wanted the two of them to elope to Florida together and live (un)happily ever after, but it was not that kind of show, unfortunately.Wink

Seriously, i loved this ending! I've had my issues with this show but this final episode was perfect, it worked so much better than a violent showdown ever would have. We finally see Angelo as what he always was, hidden beneath that cold-blooded killer mask: a broken and desperate kid. And we see Nero realize that he was part of what turned him into that. They've taken everything from each other but that seems to have strengethened their bond, ironically enough.

I loved Angelo acknowledging that he didn't kill Nero because he didn't want to since their fake-friendship had somehow become real, followed by Nero's "you don't need a reason to live, just live."

My favourite ending would be both of them surviving and perhaps meet up again in the future, but that's probably the most unlikely one. My second favourite is Nero giving Angelo a new life by symbolically (not)shooting him again, so Angelo will live while Nero's fate remains ambiguous. But i agree that the most like scenario is probably that they both died.

Anyway, this was an almost poetic ending to a sometimes frustrating show (for me at least), so i'm satisfied.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
(Keeping in mind that I watched this without subs at the original airtime, so I understood about 30% of what was said)

What I got was that spoiler[Avilio was killed by Nero as a fulfillment of what he should have done the first time - and just to ease Avilio's suffering]. But I could be wrong given that I couldn't read into everything.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
The end could be him doing what he thought he should of done 7 years ago, or repeating what he did 7 years ago. For extra content, if there is any, it would be nice to see a standalone story about Nero before the story starts.

I hope Funimation don't try and market this as if it was Bacano, apart from the setting, and maybe Fango. it's an entirely different show. And it would disappointing to see this marketed the wrong way. As for VAs, I'm guessing Jason Liebrecht as Avillio. Possibly Patrick Seitz as Nero, as he usually gets the more laid back big guy role or the big mouthed big guy role.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Part of me wanted the two of them to elope to Florida together and live (un)happily ever after, but it was not that kind of show, unfortunately.Wink

Seriously, i loved this ending! I've had my issues with this show but this final episode was perfect, it worked so much better than a violent showdown ever would have. We finally see Angelo as what he always was, hidden beneath that cold-blooded killer mask: a broken and desperate kid. And we see Nero realize that he was part of what turned him into that. They've taken everything from each other but that seems to have strengethened their bond, ironically enough.

I loved Angelo acknowledging that he didn't kill Nero because he didn't want to since their fake-friendship had somehow become real, followed by Nero's "you don't need a reason to live, just live."

My favourite ending would be both of them surviving and perhaps meet up again in the future, but that's probably the most unlikely one. My second favourite is Nero giving Angelo a new life by symbolically (not)shooting him again, so Angelo will live while Nero's fate remains ambiguous. But i agree that the most like scenario is probably that they both died.

Anyway, this was an almost poetic ending to a sometimes frustrating show (for me at least), so i'm satisfied.

Agreed on all accounts! A part of me really kind of hoped they'd elope. There was a weird sort of romantic atmosphere in the scene at the campfire, and obviously the beach. But then that would've been a betrayal to Corteo so I guess that was impossible

My preferred ending would've been that they shot each other, since just earlier they exchanged "you should've killed me first" sort of vows. I don't know, I felt it was going in that direction. I guess in hindsight, Nero finally finishing his job and relieving Angelo of his living hell was sort of poetic, but at the moment I wasn't expecting it, especially right after Angelo confessed why he didn't kill him.

Still a great finale, I'm glad the show stuck the landing. I'm very poorly versed in gangster films, so this was mostly uncharted territory for me and I loved it from top to bottom. I even enjoyed the batshit crazy episode in which Fango turned Orco into lasagna. I hope it does well for Shuka and they do more original adult-oriented stuff
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
I never was able to get into 91 Days as much as I wanted to. It's prohibition gangster aesthetic was really just that, as it never felt like watching a gangster movie, or even a yakuza movie. Avilio & Fango, in particular, felt like modern anime characters that had got stuck in a timewarp & sent to the 1920s. The final episode felt more like an attempt by the director/writer to say "look at me, I'm being poignant!" but not in a Sopranos or Takeshi Kitano way that feels appropriate. The gunfight at the music hall was, of all things, a homage to Inglorious Basterds & the rather rather confused way we went from that to two guys at the beach (flashbacks within flashbacks?) meant the final episode was another one where the director/writer haphazardly rushed through the setup to get to what they wanted to focus on.

Actually, now that I think about it, for all it's confused homages to American gangster films, the film it most resembles is Ichi the Killer (with a dash of The Bad Sleep Well), only without all the psychotic depictions of violence or a mentally unhinged, instead of just perpetually glum, protagonist etc. Now that I've said it, I might go watch that.
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Merida wrote:

Agreed on all accounts! A part of me really kind of hoped they'd elope. There was a weird sort of romantic atmosphere in the scene at the campfire, and obviously the beach. But then that would've been a betrayal to Corteo so I guess that was impossible

My preferred ending would've been that they shot each other, since just earlier they exchanged "you should've killed me first" sort of vows. I don't know, I felt it was going in that direction. I guess in hindsight, Nero finally finishing his job and relieving Angelo of his living hell was sort of poetic, but at the moment I wasn't expecting it, especially right after Angelo confessed why he didn't kill him.

What the hell is wrong with you two? Y'all are probably the only people who think Avilio and Nero had some kind of sexual tension between them. This series wasn't even remotely close to what you guys think it should've been like.

"Elope to Florida", are you kiddin' me?! Your fujoshi minds are gonna end up keeping you from enjoying anime series that aren't yaoi or shounen ai and ruining it for everyone else. So, just stop it already! Mad
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
I don't see how some people's headcanons prevent you from enjoying a show, but you do you.

To me, this ending was a flop. Nero and Avilio were by far the less interesting characters in all this, and they proceeded to do absolutely nothing this episode. I can't even say I disliked this episode - it was honestly just completely void of anything. I never got the feel Avilio and Nero bonded that much as the show often liked to imply and outright say, so this whole camaderie thing just felt like nothing to me.

Fango was the entertaining character in a visceral sense and Corteo the entertaining character in an emotional one, and without both of them, and Avilio no longer feeling Corteo's presence (or lack of), it just felt empty. I can interpret the ambiguous ending as either Nero finishing off the job he should've done years ago, or echo'ing the same scene and just missing (maybe on purpose), I still feel like it really doesn't matter, to me.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
I just binge watched this and I have to say that it's my favorite series from 2016 so far.

As for the ending, I feel spoiler[that death was the best possible outcome for Avilio. Even if Nero spared him, I don't think that Avilio would have lasted long by himself. As for Nero, I can see him slipping away and assuming a new identity. Although, I could be biased since he was my favorite character in the series. ]
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:

"Elope to Florida", are you kiddin' me?! Your fujoshi minds are gonna end up keeping you from enjoying anime series that aren't yaoi or shounen ai and ruining it for everyone else. So, just stop it already! Mad

Gosh, relax and grow a sense of humour, woman! Thank you for worrying, but my "fujoshi mind" doesn't keep me from enjoying all kinds of shows (in all kinds of ways...) and even though the thought of having the power to ruin it for everyone (whatever "it" might be) is kinda exciting, i think "everyone" is basically just you...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7