• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this episode pretty much gave me everything I wanted Aqours is now a group of their own no longer haveing to compare themselves to μ's and grow on their own. While the weird internet theories about the small child who looks like Honoka are just bizarre much like the theories surrounding the street performer in The Love Live School Idol Movie.

As far as Dia it reminds me of the webcomic where they have what fans thought she was going to be cue a picture of a cool reserved School President comparable to Eli. In reality, we got a living representation of every old μ's fan who is uncomfortable with change. This just gives me more reason to keep her as my number two.
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
As someone who was ambivalent at best towards the bevy of μ's comparisons in the first half of the series, I actually thought it generally worked really well in this episode. Even disregarding that the point of the episode was to let Aqours step out of that shadow, most of the allusions to the original series prior to the resolution felt both relevant and poignant. The fact that the episode managed to bring it all together to give one satisfying resolution to the subplot just made it even better. I didn't really expect it to be revisited after episode 8, but I'm glad it was.

On a lighter note, the scene of Riko covering Chika's eyes, followed by the shot of the marks on Chika's eyes from Riko's hands, might have actually been one of my favorite comedy scenes thus far. It wasn't that funny by itself, but the fact that those marks persisted throughout the rest of the scene, plus the fact that none of the other characters remotely commented on them just made it funnier as the scene progressed.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Oh well, "turning a 0 into a 1" is an interesting metaphor to roll with. Let's see where they go with it next season, since the obvious point of this episode is to start setting up next season (and, in particular, Aqours' participation in the actual Love Live tournament).

Well, if they don't close out the season next episode with Aqours performing "Step Zero to One", I'll be sorely disappointed, seeing as how much they've built up to it in this episode.

I'll be very surprised if the season doesn't end with one prospective student signing up for the school open day followed by a Step! ZERO to ONE performance. It's a nice positive note to end the season on but leaves a lot of room for Aqours to grow next season.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the girls get there, a student tells them that there's nothing of μ's left behind at Otonokizaka (a declaration that punched me in the gut stronger than I was expecting, no thanks to the weirdly depressing way that it was presented).

Mono no aware much, Love Live?

Forgot to mention: episode 9's "Mijuku Dreamer" was released on iTunes US this week, as the B-side of a single with "Yumede Yozorawo Terashitai" (has that been in the show yet?)
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I dia a little inside everytime the original nine are referenced. The constant callbacks are aquored and unamusing. Oi Vey...

Moving on, there were two super hilarious scenes this episode. The way Riko desperately tried to shield Chika from her hobby was adorable. I ship those two but Riko x Thoth would work too. The second scene was unintentionally funny. What is up with that NPC in front of the high school? I feel like she is always there ready to give that speech to the next idol group who rises to the challenge! Kodomo Honoka was kawaii, demo naze desu ka?
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Forgot to mention: episode 9's "Mijuku Dreamer" was released on iTunes US this week, as the B-side of a single with "Yumede Yozorawo Terashitai" (has that been in the show yet?)

Yume de Yozora was the insert song in episode 6, performed by the 1st & 2nd years.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
dunno, I'd rather have mari's boob grabbing tha nozomi's; not the fault of them but of the way the girl who is being grabbed reacts, nozomi's were more powerful, moreviolating of the girls, while mari's are more random, less sexual and then the girls react in less defeseless ways to her.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Well, I still miss my dear µ's, and would have loved to see them make a cameo in Sunshine, even a brief one (Posters and magazines don't count)., but alas, 'tis not possible, it seems. Sad

Sunshine has been fun. Too bad it'll end soon. There's no doubt that a second season is on its way, but we'll have to wait for a bit.

Regarding the mini-Honkers, I saw this over at Dynasty Scans:

And some people call the girl in front of Otonokizaka the love child of Hanayo and Rin (my favourite couple! Cool ). I know it's not possible, but it still makes me giggle.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
Take it from someone who never saw the original Love Live before, it's rather fascinating watching this episode unfold and how much of a goddess-like worship some of the Aqours put on µ's. From a meta standpoint, even I got swept away by their popularity even started checking out a few of their songs like "START:DASH" and that crazy yuri-esque song "Garden of Glass" between Eli and Nozomi.

But in the end, the show reminds me this is Aqours' story and that all their performances and songs should be taken on their own terms. I, for one, can't wait to see them bloom uniquely even if it took them most of the season to realize it.

Yuri Fan wrote:
Well, I still miss my dear µ's, and would have loved to see them make a cameo in Sunshine, even a brief one (Posters and magazines don't count)., but alas, 'tis not possible, it seems. Sad

I wouldn't be surprised near the end of the eventual 2nd season, some of the µ's will make a quick shadow cameo and comment on how the Aqours made it so far in the competition.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I think Bamboo's review helped me sort out my feelings about this finale, because it left me with an awful bitter smile in my face. Although I really liked how the girls have motivated everyone, there was something off about everything. And once the final photo was taken, I was like: is that it?

Maybe I was expecting too much about this episode, after the hell of a ride that have been all the previous episodes. Maybe a whole episode about Aqours preparing for their last presentation of the season would have been better than that long recap.

Watching Sunshine has been an amazing experience for me during these three months and it's now one of my favorites of the year, but just like Bamboo, I could've done without that last episode.

I'm really hoping for a second season with a more emotional finale.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this last episode featured amazing evening shots (I particularly liked one where is looking at the sky with the sun just by her side. She really shines now). Evening shots have been amazing all over this season, to be honest. And even the whole town got to shine at the beginning with two beautiful background shots.

Last edited by chito895 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I think I had a more positive impression of the finale, but I do agree with the overall notion of it being underwhelming. The performance was probably my favorite out of the whole series, and I actually really liked the theater-esque sequence; it felt endearingly tongue-in-cheek. But a lot of the first half kind of felt like padding until we got to those moments; the subplot with the other girls wanting to join in in particular just felt unnecessary. I liked the moment of the audience rushing the stage, but I didn't think so much time needed to be dedicated for that point for the moment to really work.

I don't think I disliked the episode, but at the same time the fact that most of the last few have been so good just underlined the apparent flaws it had, so it's disappointing that this season goes out on a relatively lackluster note. However, I'm still left really liking Sunshine overall; I almost definitely prefer it over the first season of the original series, and it might actually be one of my favorite anime thus far this year. Even if its ending could have been a lot better, I'm eagerly anticipating another season.
Enner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
For a series about taking a solid and confident step forward in to a brighter future, it's odd to have a final episode that looks back to the past and leaves the audience hanging in the air as to what's next.

Having the number of open house applicants go from zero to one right at the end of the episode is an ethereal result of Aquors' efforts. I have no problem taking it as a sign of Aquors' succeeding, but I wouldn't argue with someone who would have liked a more concrete sign or epilogue.

I rather enjoyed the recap performance as bit of musical theater in Sunshine's reality. It was superfluous for us, but I thought it was a cute bit.

Overall, I enjoyed the finale and the series. Hope the production team does even better in the next go!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The finale neatly encapsulated the shows strength's *and* failures for me.

At it's best when concentrating on the girl's personalities, and interactions - but at it's worst with all the self indulgent callbacks and flashbacks. And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse - there came that ridiculous and immersion breaking playacting re-capping the last twelve episodes.

The musical performance was as awkward as most of them have been all season... and it wasn't until today that I realized why. Rather than feeling like performances by Aquors in their world, almost all of them were (or at least felt like they were) tacked onto the end of the episode like a music video to pad the run time because they were out of material. That goes with a complaint that I made earlier in the season - for a show about idols, very little of the show was them being idols. The idol bits all felt like afterthoughts.

It wasn't necessarily a bad show per se, but it was just so darn inconsistent - and hobbled by the producer's unwillingness to let it stand on it's own two feet.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
For me, episode 12 felt so much like a finale that I wasn't sure what they'd do with this episode. & it seems like the show makers weren't sure what to do either so we got this strange episode. There were good moments (the year group pre-performance conversations, the school members shouting "ten!", Aqours recreating their original promo photo from a year ago at the end) but I feel like it just didn't feel complete. The recap completely killed the momentum of the episode. However, I am glad they avoided the forced drama of the end of OG S1. I just think it was a strange way to end the season, especially after how strong the later episodes of the season were.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
The post went up a little bit late, but the episode 13 merch has been unveiled: a tapestry of the picture taken on the beach at the very end.

If I'm not mistaken, the shot matches the teaser images that Sunshine started posting early last year, starting with just Chika, and then adding the rest of Aqours in subsequent reveals.

Also, here is a tweet from the Tokyo Game Show of Aqours playing as themselves in the Love Live School Idol Festival mobile game.

EDIT: and speaking of merch, Good Smile Company just announced a Chika nendoroid

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 16