• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girlish Number

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
@Megiddo In the social media response to the first episode you linked, it doesn't seem like they are just meekly accepting whatever the studio puts out and the anger didn't disappear, it just got pushed under in the moment only to resurface upon reflection after. Maybe they haven't abandoned watching it and might continue watching it to the end to follow their favorite seiyuu, but as someone who watched shows just for the seiyuu, I have never once bought the discs for such series. And that is where the money is and that is where the fans can most vote with their money and do. The difference between video games and anime is that generally, most fans buy the former before they have tried it out and buy the latter only after they try it. The cost of watching such fare is much lower and so anime fans response to rote productions is naturally different from video game fans who cannot afford to do the same.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
because if the industry was working on another, more respectful, system then the author work would never have been adapted in the first place

Can't say I agree with that. The main issue being addressed is the production team's general dismissiveness of the author's wishes and the overall quality of the work. Even if a work is derivative, that's no excuse to half-ass it.
Assassin Eclipse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Can't say I agree with that. The main issue being addressed is the production team's general dismissiveness of the author's wishes and the overall quality of the work. Even if a work is derivative, that's no excuse to half-ass it.

Actually, the light novel author has the power to veto everything if he wants to. If you've seen Shirobako, then you should remember spoiler[how Nogame insisted that Musani change the final episode of Aerial Girls]. The thing is, Watari's depiction of a light novel author is a person who's meek, unable to be firm, and is consistently disrespected by everyone else due to his profession.

And that's one thing I am entirely unsure about. So far, Watari is depicting the worst sides of every part of the anime industry, from the irresponsible producers, cynical seiyuus to the silly fans who happily gobble everything thrown at them. The thing is, do these people really exist in real life? I know for certain that the anime fans who like every single crap produced DO exist, I have real life friends who are like that. What about the rest? Are light novel authors really looked down upon? Do such ridiculous producers exist?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Other way around, the production are doing a rush/crappy job because there paid badly and given little time to do the work. If they were paid more there wouldn't be enough money to adapt as many show and the first one to get axed would be these generic harem light novel adaptation that only exist as cross promotional material.

As far as author wish.. well different medium are different, so something that work for LN (where there's little drawing to do) can be a huge problem for anime. So some stuff will have to be adapted, seeing as he didn't really have any specific complain and was just saying "they felt wrong", it didn't seem like it would actually cause any problems. I get that were supposed to feel wrong for the poor author, but I side with the adaptation team here, to me he just seemed like an author who feel like he has to voice complain just to feel like he retain some sort of control on the project but it didn't seem like his complain would have lead to a better adaptation, but I firmly subscribe to the dead of the author point of view.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Other way around, the production are doing a rush/crappy job because there paid badly and given little time to do the work. If they were paid more there wouldn't be enough money to adapt as many show and the first one to get axed would be these generic harem light novel adaptation that only exist as cross promotional material.

Can't agree with you here either. If, for whatever reason, what gets adapted becomes more selective the first ones to get axed would be experimental/artsy/ambitious works. We'd see nothing but harem light novel adaptations because that's what's proven to be successful.

I agree that the light novel author in this case is being vague about his complaints and doesn't speak very loudly, but he is speaking. It's just that Mr Funny Story 2.0 brushes off said complaints with equally vague "Oh it's just the key visual, the main series will be different!" He's just assuming things will work out without taking steps to ensure that it does.

When some one like Kazuha expresses her sympathy for the author and how his work is being treated, you know whose side the show is on.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
meiam wrote:

Can't agree with you here either. If, for whatever reason, what gets adapted becomes more selective the first ones to get axed would be experimental/artsy/ambitious works. We'd see nothing but harem light novel adaptations because that's what's proven to be successful.

There would still be some produced obviously, but we get back to the idea that there are thousands of those light novel, the number would obviously go down and his work is obviously of pretty low interest to the industry since they're only giving it very little attention. Also very little small indie project feature cross promotional advertisement strategy, most of them are the brain child of big name, which sell on the name factor rather any marketing.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty clear the show has a negative opinion of the anime producers who ignore the original author and even key members of the production team to try marketing **** as gold. There's a clear backlash around hyping up everything around the anime adaptation rather than making the anime adaptation itself any good. (the reckless casting choices, the lack of communication, the disingenuous character designs, etc)
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To put up an example of a different sort of fanbase, when video games are released and are not at all what was promised, do the fans stay calm and put up with an obviously feeble product? They do not. They'll holler, scream, and demand a refund. They don't lay down and let the video game industry walk all over them. Well, as Girlish Number shows, anime otaku pretty much do. They don't have much of a backbone and can be distracted by something else (ooh this seiyuu is cute, ooh this has a limited edition item from the manga author if I purchase that crappy anime adaptation of my favorite manga, etc). It's fairly on-the-nose commentary I'd say.

The video game community has it own problem in that regard though, what with real criticism being buried under far more childish raging, as the Gamergate incident made clear. But the meekness of otaku does allow for low-tier anime to continue being made. But when the otakus turn against this show, it will be in droves, I think. Mob mentality exists pretty powerfully in the anime community.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder if any irony was intended in how fluid the animation looked for Kuzu's mouth at around 3:26. It stuck out for me more than any other movement in the episode...
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Assassin Eclipse wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Actually, the light novel author has the power to veto everything if he wants to. If you've seen Shirobako, then you should remember spoiler[how Nogame insisted that Musani change the final episode of Aerial Girls].

That depends entirely on the terms of the contract. Some authors are important or powerful enough to get veto power. Many aren't.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I left Izetta to jump on this bandwagon beacuse SNAFU and SHIROBAKO together couldn't sound greater.

While I am enjoying Girlish Number, I do have a bone to pick with it in the sense that the first episode could have been stretched into a movie and it would've been spectacular. The following episodes, although they are good, are kind of running on the steam the first episode left, and it's been kind of teasing for a big turning point while having a sort of ambiguous direction; unlike SHIROBAKO or SNAFU, which both were pretty clear about what they were aiming form in a narrative sense, Girlish Number is a bit harder to follow, but hey, it being a surprise could be good anyways.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to feel as though this series would have worked better as a film. My interest in these characters' lives and personalities started to fade somewhere in the middle of the fourth episode, and I'm beginning to get sick of the show's tired and cynical tone (although I suppose I have no one to blame for that but myself, considering how up-front the show has been about its worldviews).

I also can't shake the sensation that the writers have tipped their hand a little too early with regards to the show's central themes, and its unclear whether the series is going to continue to hammer in its points or go off in a new direction.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
With Episode 5, Kazu P went from a character I like to a character I love. Embezzlement, explains everything.

We finally got to see the director who cares even less about the whole thing than Kazu. Sure, why not? Sure, sure... Even has his phone set to it...

And this failure of a show, the most "talked about" of its season, still managed to sell all of its event BDs.... to meet the rookie actresses they don't like?

By the way, how far are these reviews stretching the show's plot in order to maintain its own narrative? Not stretching, ignoring plot points including Kazu's last comment which changes the whole thing, at least if you've seen The Producers.

Plus, I had to look back at the episode to figure out where this review's narrative of Chitose's fan "interaction/feedback" came from and it was... anonymous internet posts. Well, really? "Just forget the net." Yes... even if you're good, it's better to just filter it out because those with axes to grind are always the loudest and most persistent.

"So that's the title everyone's talking about this season?"
"You can totally just turn it off during the opening scene, right? I saw that on a news sight."

And I immediately thought of ANN...

"But the books are pretty crap too, right? I haven't read them but I saw it on a news site."

Yeah, totally ANN.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
@ BSP - you are having the exact same reaction I am. The show set up its elements very early on and then has merely repeated them endlessly as opposed to developing them or bringing in new ones. Mind you, next week seems like it will be a beach episode so at least we'll be getting outside.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
With Episode 5, Kazu P went from a character I like to a character I love. Embezzlement, explains everything.

We finally got to see the director who cares even less about the whole thing than Kazu. Sure, why not? Sure, sure... Even has his phone set to it...

And this failure of a show, the most "talked about" of its season, still managed to sell all of its event BDs.... to meet the rookie actresses they don't like?

By the way, how far are these reviews stretching the show's plot in order to maintain its own narrative? Not stretching, ignoring plot points including Kazu's last comment which changes the whole thing, at least if you've seen The Producers.

Plus, I had to look back at the episode to figure out where this review's narrative of Chitose's fan "interaction/feedback" came from and it was... anonymous internet posts. Well, really? "Just forget the net." Yes... even if you're good, it's better to just filter it out because those with axes to grind are always the loudest and most persistent.

"So that's the title everyone's talking about this season?"
"You can totally just turn it off during the opening scene, right? I saw that on a news sight."

And I immediately thought of ANN...

"But the books are pretty crap too, right? I haven't read them but I saw it on a news site."

Yeah, totally ANN.

Yeah it sold its event BD's. All of, what, 100 of them. Meanwhile Momoka's other project had a huge line still going after they finished selling their stuff. Even the other voice actresses thought it was crap. Chitose didn't even bother to watch it.

And of the net, certainly there are those who will shit on even great shows loudly. However, usually those ones have people who will go to bat for it as well. Plenty of people on the internet have praised shows like say Yuri. It is probably best as a creator to filter out some comments on the internet like ones telling them to die, but if the comments are generally negative with a few faint and diplomatically phrased positive comments, you are doing something wrong. You ignore that at your own risk. That's why they check those comments. Sometimes the people saying your show was bad and you should feel bad are right and representative of fan reaction to the show. You don't want to react too much but ignoring it completely is a mistake.Yeah and most talked about show isn't always positive. The true masterpieces of awfulness in my experience get talked about plenty.

I think that scene with the director wasn't him not giving a crap, but that he was so burned out by working so much that he had a recording of him going Mhmm, so they didn't notice he fell asleep due to the lack thereof. He did want to quit but because of overwork not laziness, and he didn't quit anyways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8