• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ew121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
KH91 wrote:
What a decline from last year for so many series. Too much bomba. OP is dead. spoiler[joke] AssClass finishing in 2nd. Nice. Bleach ends things with a bang.

Not really that is about their end of the year totals for the last 3-4 years staying in the two millions volume range almost getting to 3 million a couple of times. They are actually down 20% in sales from last year. For the most part a very stout fanbase who have stuck with Bleach through all the shit since at least Aizen was defeated.

That's because Bleach released less volumes than last year, what you're saying is dumb.

Last year it released 5, this year it released 4
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
KH91 wrote:
What a decline from last year for so many series. Too much bomba. OP is dead. spoiler[joke] AssClass finishing in 2nd. Nice. Bleach ends things with a bang.

Not really that is about their end of the year totals for the last 3-4 years staying in the two millions volume range almost getting to 3 million a couple of times. They are actually down 20% in sales from last year. For the most part a very stout fanbase who have stuck with Bleach through all the shit since at least Aizen was defeated.

That's because Bleach released less volumes than last year, what you're saying is dumb.

Last year it released 5, this year it released 4

What did you expect? Everyone's trying to justify themselves at this point. "bleach is crap because..." is the trend these days.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
FWIW sales are down by 19.2% compared to 2015, with 24,903,280 fewer units sold. That's a bigger drop than would have been predicted based on half-year sales. The top 5 sellers contributed 37% of total sales, a slight decrease on last year. However, it's notable that the top 5 sold 11,543,796 fewer units than last year. 8 titles sold less than 2 million units this year, compared to 2 last year. 22 titles charting this year were in also the chart last year.

The biggest climber this year is Chihayafuru, which is No.11 this year & didn't chart last year. The biggest dropper is Blue Spring Ride, which charted at No.12 last year but didn't chart this year. Shueisha continue to dominate the chart, though with 16 they have 2 fewer titles this year than last.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

What did you expect? Everyone's trying to justify themselves at this point. "bleach is crap because..." is the trend these days.

What you mean the pointless filler arc in the form of the Fullbring arc that brought nothing to the story. Introducing powers that were almost instantly taken away from Ichigo and characters that returned finally with about 5 or so chapter to go in the series with some out of nowhere bullshit deus ex machina to repair Ichigo's zanpakto. Where instead of wasting a year of everyone's time he could have gone straight to the Quincy War arc and given Ichigo his powers back then. The Quincy War arc was then a slow drag that barely tried to get to the end where after 4 years and still so many loose ends to wrap up Shuiesha finally pulled the plug on Kubo.

If you like the series good for you but don't come on here and try to dismiss my legitimate complaints. I have read the series from beginning to end and there was a time when the series was pretty great. The Soul Society Arc is top tier shounen story arcs and was awesome. Great pacing, great fights, great moments, a fantastic twist with Aizen made it an arc to remember. Yet Kubo was really at a loss for what to do and tried to copy the arc again when he started the Hueco Mundo arc where Ichigo and 4 friends had to go rescue Onihime taking on a numerical hierarchy of enemies and their lieutenants sounds awfully familiar to an arc that just happened around a year before that one. Overall the Hueco Mundo and Fake Karakura town arcs while not terrible were really only okay and definitely a step down in quality. Sadly while the story should have ended there with pretty much all storylines wrapped up and seeing our hero Ichigo ride off into the sunset triumphant. He came back with an absolutely terrible arc and an arc that could have been good if Kubo would have tried to actually go anywhere with the arc instead of constantly padding out the arc to keep milking off it.

Bleach fell off in quality and it is reflected in the sales numbers. Where it use to be a top 3-5 contender since 2011 it has continuously lost sales and dropped in the rankings. Losing it's anime was pretty much the nail in the coffin for the series. Only the most loyal fans stayed with it till the end. I can promise you if I didn't read the series online I would have dropped Bleach years ago.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
The biggest climber this year is Chihayafuru, which is No.11 this year & didn't chart last year.

I was glad to see Chihayafuru doing well until I realized that probably means we won't get a season three. If the manga is already that successful, there is less of need to promote the series with another anime adaptation.
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
The biggest climber this year is Chihayafuru, which is No.11 this year & didn't chart last year.

I was glad to see Chihayafuru doing well until I realized that probably means we won't get a season three. If the manga is already that successful, there is less of need to promote the series with another anime adaptation.

Chihayafuru got a boost because of the live action movie.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Interesting list. The only manga I am following from those 30 series is Kingdom.

I would wonder how the other stuff I follow (Berserk, Gunnm Mars Chronicles, Vagabond and Vinland Saga) are doing, though I know they were very popular in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3