• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Binge Benefits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
When I lived at my parents' home (where their Internet connection was far better than the connection I have in my apartment complex), I would occasionally binge-watch anime during the weekends when I wasn't working or going to school, or during times I was home sick. Two shows I remember doing this was Ouran High School Host Club and the first season of Black Butler. Both times I watched them with the introductory episodes in the dub, then shifted over to the sub when I ran out of free dub episodes to watch.

Glass Mask was another series I binge-watched, but it was after watching the first six or so episodes on Anime on Demand over a month, whenever episodes were added to the queue. That was an annoying wait for episodes, so I was really happy when I found out the entire series was on Crunchyroll. This is the only series I've ever binge-watched more than once, however. While I have watched multiple episodes at a time with several series, it's usually only three or four episodes in a row, then we'd come back to watching it after a few nights or a week or two. Depended on our TV schedule (we don't have a DVR, so if there's shows we want to watch we make sure to watch them as they air).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Anime is different, since it's usually based on manga, which, like comic books, are supposed to get you to read the next chapter, and you can't fault them for being what they are, if every episode is based on a chapter.

Wrong decade, these days it would appear to be differing types of video games as the new main source for anime and I'd say the second is Light Novels.

It's a rapidly changing issue as even as recent as last year, I would have said Light Novels but people don't even have the time for those as much as... mobile games!

And for third, I'd go with four panel manga which were designed to be consumed in mass strip after strip already so binge watching something like Nichijou wouldn't matter anyway. Good luck telling episodes apart unless there's a direct narrative like K-On or...
Or...
Uh...
Azamanga Daioh? But they all look the same..

Only then would I place weekly and monthly manga adaptations. A distant fourth and getting further back in relevance all the time. "You have to adapt an entire series" "You don't have to adapt an entire series, you just have to get from beginning to an ending." "You don't have to do an entire series, you just have to get the general idea of it across". to Blood Lad's ultimate laziness of "You don't have to do anything, just introduce some characters."

Binge it all and let Kamisama sort it out. And if anything of all this sameness sticks out, well then, pat yourself on the back for a job, well, done. But the days of Tenchi Muyo's "We Need Tenchi", "Here comes Jurai", "Mihoshi Falls to the Land of Stars" and my own personal favorite "The Night Before the Carnival" were long gone even before streaming started.
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Another Glass Mask fan here. Currently rewatching the show for the third time. Can't watch just one have to watch 3 or 4 at a time. I try to watch more but I fall asleep since I'm becoming an old person apparently. Bingeworthy show.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
I can't say I've "watched" something if while it was on I was cleaning my room or whatever. I only count it as watched if I actually watched the whole thing and was focused.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Anime is different, since it's usually based on manga, which, like comic books, are supposed to get you to read the next chapter, and you can't fault them for being what they are, if every episode is based on a chapter.

Wrong decade, these days it would appear to be differing types of video games as the new main source for anime and I'd say the second is Light Novels.

It's a rapidly changing issue as even as recent as last year, I would have said Light Novels but people don't even have the time for those as much as... mobile games!

And for third, I'd go with four panel manga which were designed to be consumed in mass strip after strip already so binge watching something like Nichijou wouldn't matter anyway. Good luck telling episodes apart unless there's a direct narrative like K-On or...
Or...
Uh...
Azamanga Daioh? But they all look the same..

Only then would I place weekly and monthly manga adaptations. A distant fourth and getting further back in relevance all the time. "You have to adapt an entire series" "You don't have to adapt an entire series, you just have to get from beginning to an ending." "You don't have to do an entire series, you just have to get the general idea of it across". to Blood Lad's ultimate laziness of "You don't have to do anything, just introduce some characters."

Binge it all and let Kamisama sort it out. And if anything of all this sameness sticks out, well then, pat yourself on the back for a job, well, done. But the days of Tenchi Muyo's "We Need Tenchi", "Here comes Jurai", "Mihoshi Falls to the Land of Stars" and my own personal favorite "The Night Before the Carnival" were long gone even before streaming started.

Nope, EricJ2 is correct. I was just going to link to a chart of anime by source material but it only went to 2013. So I decided to do this season myself. Manga comes in first with 15. Second is Original with 10, In third is Games with 6 (4 which are based on Mobile games, though I included Idol Incidents with that even though the game was never released). Tied for fourth with 3 each are 4-koma, Light Novels, and Other. And last are Novel, Visual Novel, and Web Manga with 2 each. This only includes new shows.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
Binge watching just makes sense for serialized shows. The only time watching one episode per week makes sense is for episodic shows IMO.

I can't juggle multiple shows at once one episode at a time per week, everyday. I'd forget most of the little details and the excitement and climactic buildup wouldn't be there per show.

Quote:
"But binge-watching ten or twenty episodes at a time doesn't make sense," a writer friend once groused to me. “These shows—older shows especially— were designed to be absorbed one episode at a time, with an entire week's separation between them so you have time to actually think about what you saw. When you watch all of them at once, you're overloading yourself and going against the intent of the creators." I pointed out that this was a surprisingly nuanced way to approach the best method for watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. “Then think of it this way,” they countered. “When you open up a box of doughnuts, you don't eat every last one of them on the spot, do you? " This yielded an embarrassed silence.

For serialized shows--most of the shows these days that aren't 4-komas--where EVERY episode ends in a cliffhanger, think of it as reading a book where it makes sense to read as much of it as you can, or watching a movie, or listening to a song. You don't listen to one minute of song a week, the next minute of the song the next week and so on, do you? Even an album, if all the songs are connected or tell an entire story makes sense to be listened in one sitting.

For me, the natural starting and stopping points within a show would be arcs. For sports shows, for any particular goal/arc, it would be the training sub-arc then the competition sub-arc. I mean when you think about it, a battle sequence is planned out and animated from beginning to end, and only divided up into 20 min chunks because of time limitations.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Binge watching is pretty much my main way to watch anime. Sometimes I try to do the week to week thing, but then if it's a show I really like, I just wait. There are some shows, though, that I have to do a few episodes at a time. Perfect example is Ergo Proxy. I've seen the show multiple times already, but the amount of ideas and themes that the show gives you requires time for reflection (at least for me). It's one of those shows where I pick up something new every time I watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4