• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Previews Boruto: Naruto The Movie's English Dub Cast in New Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorbeauKarasu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
It's about gorram time. Waiting forever for this movie to hit the states. Best of the naruto movies, hands down. Love all the voices, too. Buying it day one.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Tsumikisan wrote:
It's about time theyre getting this out. I've been waiting way too long for this so I'm definitely going to preorder.

I don't think people realize Takeuchi also voiced adult Naruto, so it wouldn't make any sense to replace his ENG VA.

I blame the dub of DBZ for creating the stigma kids played by girls should be recast when they grow up. Japan never do this as shown with Goku, Naruto and Luffy. I'm glad Naruto and Luffy dubbed are keeping their actors at least.

Since I can't view the trailer I am so happy Boruto got recast, Laura being recast was expected.

Last edited by NBlaze53 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Applying a new voice to Naruto at this point in the franchise's run wouldn't sit right at all anyway. It's kind of like The Simpsons whenever they do those "peek into the future" episodes; they know that a completely different voice would make the character(s) barely recognizable.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:
I hope they have the common sense to re-cast Naruto. Having a woman play him made sense when he was 12 and worked surprisingly well when he was a teenager but he's over 30 now and they really need a man to voice him.

no kidding. was kinda expecting they would have malie do boruto or himawari, not have her as a 30 yr old naruto.

the new boruto is definitely interesting and sounds decent enough. though i definitely didn't expected they would have the VA that did FT's Lucy Heartfellia to voice Sarada (guess that means she also went independent and not be tied in with the funi union, which explains how she got those lead roles in both IBO and in God Eater)

was definitely a surprise since sarada more or less have the same hothead personality like her mother, was kinda predicting that they would have miss erica to that. at least they didn't try to do a funi and try to have her as boruto. that would have been way too awkward.

though the real question is that will the roles for the movie be the same for the upcoming tv series, or will the new cast be the same as the game, and i dont recall miss Leigh ever doing a role in any video games unlike malie and lowenthal who have done video game roles for both naruto and saskue since the very first one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
@LoriasGS: As much as I enjoy Maile's Naruto, I will have to agree with this. However, the same thing is applicable to Mayumi Tanaka as Krillin and Masako Nozawa as Goku. The latter is really guilty of this.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
Good things do indeed come to those who wait, because God knows I've been waiting for this dub for far too long lmao. They dubbed 'The Last' relatively fast so I was surprised that the dub for 'Boruto' was taking this long. But it was worth it. An instant buy when it comes out Very Happy. There's just one thing that annoys me though: Naruto and Sasuke still sound exactly the same as when they were teenagers, despite the fact that they're now grown me. I mean I thought that Maile Flanagan and Yuri Lowenthal would at least go for a deeper tone to distinguish the age gaps, but oh well.

Last edited by SailorNaruto on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@LoriasGS: As much as I enjoy Maile's Naruto, I will have to agree with this. However, the same thing is applicable to Mayumi Tanaka as Krillin and Masako Nozawa as Goku. The latter is really guilty of this.

True, but in the dub, Goku was originally voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard and then went to being voiced by Sean Schemmel as an adult. We were kind of expecting the same thing to happen here, especially since it's going to happen to Konohamaru (per the Japanese).

Even though it's my favorite show ever, the Naruto dub has become very underwhelming. Studiopolis keeps on using very old talent for their major parts, particularly actors already working on the dub, and the quality is significantly getting lower and lower (but that's expected from a long-running show). It's a shame too, because even when it was on Cartoon Network the dub was phenomenal.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
True, but in the dub, Goku was originally voiced by Stephanie Nadolny and then went to being voiced by Sean Schemmel as an adult.

Fixed!

Colleen didn't start voicing Kid Goku until FUNi's redub of Curse of the Blood Rubies and even then, the only other times she voiced the character are in Xenoverse 1 & 2 thanks to Dragon Ball GT being covered in those games.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
True, but in the dub, Goku was originally voiced by Stephanie Nadolny and then went to being voiced by Sean Schemmel as an adult.

Fixed!

Colleen didn't start voicing Kid Goku until FUNi's redub of Curse of the Blood Rubies and even then, the only other times she voiced the character are in Xenoverse 1 & 2 thanks to Dragon Ball GT being covered in those games.

She also voiced him during flashback scenes in Kai.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Fixed!

You're both wrong. DB started getting dubbed at Z (Not counting Harmony Gold). So in English, it STARTED in 1996 with Ian James Corlet, then he was replaced by Peter Kelamis, then HE was replaced with Sean Schemmel. Sean is the 3rd English voice of Goku. It wasn't till after Sean was already adapted in the role that the original DB was dubbed casting Stephanie Nadolny as Goku who was at the time the 2nd voice of Gohan.

In Japan they had Nozawa as Kid Goku for 3 years, when Toriyama aged up Goku in the anime he didn't want to get rid of the voice he heard was Goku in his head. Toriyama was always kind to the anime VA. In the Manga when Kuririn died, Yajarobe was introduced and Goku says "You sound like Kuririn". As such when Kuririn died Mayumi Tanaka was cast as Yajarobe. Same with Tambourine and Freeza being voiced by Ryusei Nakao.

Basically in Japan they get really attached to Seiyuu and that's why most don't change with age of the character. Since DB in English started with Adult Goku, that's why Adult and Kid have different voices.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
^If you're going to count the original dub with the Canadian cast (not counting Harmony Gold like you said) then you're also wrong because they actually dubbed the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball & Curse of the Blood Rubies a year earlier with Saffron Henderson, who later voiced Gohan in Z, as Goku at the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2