• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds English-Dubbed Episodes of Gintama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Actually, about the previous episodes, is it possible that Crunchyroll/Ocean is still maybe trying to wrestle the license away from Sentai Filmworks? I was on their site just now checking solicitations, and I saw (in addition to the movie, which everyone knows is dubbed) there are three Gintama collections, numbered 1, 3, and 4. It didn't give the episodes, but here's the link: https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/shows?page=4&sort_by=title-ascending

Sentai doesn't have the license anymore and the fact that set 2 is missing there and elsewhere proves it. No idea how they're allowed to sell copies of expired titles though since I also see Eyeshield 21 & the Guin Saga BD available and not the latter's DVD set.

It could be a case where the license isn't expired yet, and they simply haven't printed more copies of the set. If the expiration is coming up and they have no intentions of renewing it, it wouldn't make sense to print more. Not to mention, licensing agreements usually allow them a period to sell their remaining stock of a title once its lapsed. Funimation, Animeigo, and others have sold off stock of expired titles, even through their own sites, after a license has lapsed.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Midaro wrote:
I agree. They may release these two seasons in blueray and, should they make profit, dub the first seasons as well. I hope they do. These are good news!

I hope so too! I would love to be able to own Gintama on Blu-Ray.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ocean is back!!

I've never gotten into Gintama, but it seems there are a million different anime based on it. How many anime are there?
AngirustheHedgeju

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Pikagreg wrote:
Is it just me or is this actually an Ocean dub?

i'm afraid its worse. their probably doing that NIS America & Right Stuff/Nozumi Ent did with card captor sakura & gundam build fighters seasons 1 & 2, and are using the animax asia english dub version.

besides. that cast definitely dont sound like an ocean group dub. hell, no one have really heard anything about the ocean group after they did the dub version for the black lagoon ova. its either they went out of business, or they are exiting from the anime voiceover business and only doing western cartoons now.

either way, this doesnt sound or look too good for the series let alone crunchyroll. if this goes south, dont be surprised if the die hard otaku community start comparing their dub work as bad as 4kids and demand they stick to only show sub versions and leave the dubs to studios that know what their doing.

they should have did what netflix did for nanatsu no taizai (seven deadly sins) and use a competent dubbing studio like bang zoom to dub gintama instead of doing the NIS and right stuff route and being dirt cheap with their english dub.

You're saying their being "dirt cheap" with this dub, yet you are saying the dub should of used BangZoom. A.K.A. one of the pillars of the generic overused LA voice acting pool that drains the inspired parts of characters in videogames/animation and replaces them with generic-sounding LA voice actor no.943725387874762 whom gets by because of union-advantage
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
Midaro wrote:
1dbad wrote:
I'm excited about the dub! It's great seeing something use Ocean again, and some of the names mentioned already have me hyped. (like Janyse Jaud)

Where they're starting the series from is odd, but hopefully they can dub the earlier stuff at a later date. Fingers crossed this does well!

I agree. They may release these two seasons in blueray and, should they make profit, dub the first seasons as well. I hope they do. These are good news!

so would i. and its a relief that i am wrong about ocean studios biting the bullet. though with cast, no one that ISNT LIVING in canada would even know it is one. not to mention that they haven't made any noise in the US anime industry since the black lagoon ova.

when it comes to that studio and their dub announcements, people would expect to see well known ocean studios VAs like kirby morrow , brad swaile , richard cox or even paul dobson aka inuyasha's naraku to be in the main front for their dubs since that's been the norm back when they were doing most of the gundam dubs for bandai ent.

guess this must be a brand new ocean group VA casting since i sure as hell never heard of them. however i wont be surprise i am wrong about that as well since i DONT live in canada after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
AngirustheHedgeju wrote:
You're saying their being "dirt cheap" with this dub, yet you are saying the dub should of used BangZoom. A.K.A. one of the pillars of the generic overused LA voice acting pool that drains the inspired parts of characters in videogames/animation and replaces them with generic-sounding LA voice actor no.943725387874762 whom gets by because of union-advantage

Check the most prolific cast listing in ANN's own Encyclopedia. You'll notice that the overwhelming majority of the English VAs listed there are actually Funimation/ADV/Sentai FIlmworks actors. If anybody is being overused, it's those guys, not the people living in California.

jr240483 wrote:
so would i. and its a relief that i am wrong about ocean studios biting the bullet. though with cast, no one that ISNT LIVING in canada would even know it is one. not to mention that they haven't made any noise in the US anime industry since the black lagoon ova.

when it comes to that studio and their dub announcements, people would expect to see well known ocean studios VAs like kirby morrow , brad swaile , richard cox or even paul dobson aka inuyasha's naraku to be in the main front for their dubs since that's been the norm back when they were doing most of the gundam dubs for bandai ent.

guess this must be a brand new ocean group VA casting since i sure as hell never heard of them. however i wont be surprise i am wrong about that as well since i DONT live in canada after all.

As long as we're talking about InuYasha: Michael Daingerfield was the replacement for David Kaye as Sesshomaru in The Final Act, and Janyse Jaud was Kagura and Kanna in both the original series and The Final Act. Vincent Tong was Matsuda in Death Note. Michael Adamthwaite, Andrew Francis, and Chantal Strand were in Gundam SEED and Gundam 00; Andrew Francis was also Dilandau in the original Ocean Group dub of Escaflowne. Jocelyne Loewen is typically encountered in supporting roles, and everyone else listed is either a newcomer or otherwise has few credits to their name.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Is Caitlynne Medrek, the voice of Soyo Tokugawa, still living in Toronto or she went back to doing non-union voice acting projects for Blue Water Studios in Calgary?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5