• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zelda: Breath of the Wild Character Uses Baby Talk to Explain Quest to Link

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Oh man. I already beat this quest so I can't check.

spoiler[Also, beating the final boss isn't beating "the game". Beating the game proper, requires having the entire story unlocked and getting the true ending. ]
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
I'm playing in Japanese on my Wii U, but I just got through the main Zora domain dungeon, so do I still have access to this quest? I didn't kill the Lynel. I just took the arrows and ran.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
I played in english. This mission was given out like any other mission, no weird baby talk if I recall correctly. She mentions the children but that's it.

@Juno016 yes, you should still be able access it.
Nelial

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm playing in English, just reached Zora's domain so wanted to test this. If you say you don't understand twice, she does explain it in babytalk:

"Does baby see dat really big rock over dere? Dat's called Ploymus Mountain! Yes it is! A big, scawy monster with red hair lives there. It's called a Lynel, and I really, REALLY want to see what one looks like! But they're NOT VERY NICE, so I don't want you to bring him down here because he might be mean to us! Maybe you could draw me a pretty picture of what a Lynel looks like instead? Any red-maned Lynel at all? ..... *ahem* Do you understand now?"

So yep, it's in the English version too!
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Ooh, nice catch!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One commenter noted that this type of linguistic joke is a characteristic of Japanese games that doesn't really show up in Western games.

Every culture has "goo goo" baby talk too, so I don't know what he's going on about, nor does he seem to understand that one language's aspects don't necessarily translate well to another's.

Nelial wrote:
So yep, it's in the English version too!

Score one for Nelial, you just technically owned that commenter.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Oh man. I already beat this quest so I can't check.

spoiler[Also, beating the final boss isn't beating "the game". Beating the game proper, requires having the entire story unlocked and getting the true ending. ]

In the speed running community they have different categories. What you are referring to is a 100% Speedrun. What he accomplished was an any% Speedrun. It still counts as beating the game tho. I assume what you mean by unlocking the whole story is getting all your memories back. I wouldn't call that a spolier since that tells you nothing about the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1