• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
HeroAca: A recap after a recap episode? Well done Bones.
Quote:
With the long lead-time and full assistance from Production I.G,

Surely you mean WIT studio Jacob.

Nope, I meant that I.G. is assisting in production on Titan, just has they did for the back quarter or so of season one. I don't think it's half-and-half by any means, but I.G. is definitely helping Wit to produce a lot of that animation.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, MHA being mostly recap was disappointing but I really enjoy the dubcast and all of the characters so I enjoyed it overall.

AoT was really good and the Beast Titan came out far better than I hoped. Admittedly, I'm mainly interested in how the series will differ from the manga since it's supposed to go down a different path at some point but this episode really reminded me how much I got into the franchise years ago.

Also, that ending theme was visually impressive and a real treat.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Heres to hoping you guys cover Warau Salesman NEW!. This shows premise sounds like it could be really, really really good.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Quote:

Nope, I meant that I.G. is assisting in production on Titan, just has they did for the back quarter or so of season one. I don't think it's half-and-half by any means, but I.G. is definitely helping Wit to produce a lot of that animation.

Production I.G. is not listed as part of the Production Comittee but they obviously help with staff since Wit Studio was one of the many I.G. subsidaries before being funded by two former I.G. producers. Proof is Arifumi Imai animating the biggest highlight of the OP (from the explosion to Eren transforming and going after the Armored Titan) and this episode's scene when the Beast Titan throws the horse.

Imai is kinda freelance but his main connection is with I.G, anyway.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
You know, Paul Jensen's review of GBF reminded me that most people don't know that these 2 first episodes are an adaptation of the tutorial legit the first thing you do when you start the game.

Most of the stuff here is also anime-original, including the childhood friend (Cygames is looking into inserting him into an event or two cause players liked him quite a bit). Can't say much without spoiling, but i'll just say that if you think you would like what would be the spiritual sucessor of Final Fantasy and One Piece, then don't let these 2 first episodes fool you. You'll be in for a long haul xD

On a side note, there's enough content to make many, many season of GBF. If the tutorial took up 2 episodes and we're on 85+ Chapters + hundreds of side stories + a personalized story for each and every character (300+), then i'm pretty sure this won't be the last time we're seeing GBF anime announcements Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Nice, Spring Season officially begins. My Hero Academia S2 is off to a start so far although I wish they didn't recap so much. Still, it's a nice way to get the viewers back into the show again. Personally, I like the first season's OP song better although this season's works fine too.

From what I've heard recently, it's going to be a 2 cour show too so I'm pretty excited to see how much they will adapt! Excited.

Attack on Titan Season 2 is off to a terrific start! After almost 4 years, it's finally back.

Yup, I'm hyped for both of these. The first new ep of Titan was glorious to have back and even after the long wait feels like the team hasn't missed a beat (can't wait to re-watch the ep with the dub as soon as they post it), and I very much enjoyed MHA, also thanks to the simply perfect simuldub cast. Admittedly it probably helps I didn't bother watching the pre-season recap episode.

I read that too and hope it's the case as it would be absolutely awesome news if they are now able to do a full 2-cour second season of MHA!

AksaraKishou wrote:
Can't say much without spoiling, but i'll just say that if you think you would like what would be the spiritual sucessor of Final Fantasy and One Piece, then don't let these 2 first episodes fool you. You'll be in for a long haul xD

Excellent. Huge FF (and JRPGs in general) fan, and I also felt some Grandia/Skies of Arcadia vibes too thanks to the "taking off an adventure" feel of ep 2 and the airships (oh yeah and some One Piece), and I really enjoyed the first two episodes so I'm really looking forward to this now that it's really airing. Gonna be cool to hear lots of new music from Uematsu as well.

I'm actually surprised the previewers weren't as hooked on the visuals since I thought the animation and art was really nice even if it's true there were only a couple of short bursts of flashy action in the first ep from what I remember (mainly from Katalina). Also, Katalina is the best, I hope she stays this good.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Quote:

Nah Production IG isn't assisting them this time like they did in S1. You're giving credits to the wrong people.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, I just think about a few years back how when the season ends I'd get a whole week worth of withdrawal symptoms of not having anything to watch except the two or three 2+ cour shows during that period and now not even all the winter shows have ended but the next season has started rolling...

Anyway enough with the long rambling... I started off the season with My Hero Academia and it was ok but honestly it kind of annoyed me a bit that they dedicated so long to going over the first seasons plot points but this is only because I purposely skipped the recap episode as I knew I didn't need that. Had they not released an episode for that exact purpose? I would've been cool with the recap. Anyway enough the long rambling (getting deja vu here for some strange unknown reason?), what made have a me have a positive view on this episode was that for the around 2/3's of the episode there was new content they did a great job getting hyped up for what was to come with the UA festival and was genuinely impressed.

Onto the sequel of a small anime airing this season called Attack On Titan, well it was horrifying, and it was great. It was great that it continued straight on from the previous season which the majority of shows don't do (^hint! hint!^) and had me as anticipating the next episode and literally sweating in panic for my favourite character's life as it did when so first watched it so that was great. I was almost at the end of the show sighing in relief and then I saw Michal, and remember watching all those trailer for it and everyone saying how horrible it would be but damn what happended to him was horrible... just... ewwww... As for the opening song, it didn't sound that good, but visual they were pretty insightful (was that a... [b[Flying Whale!?[/b]) and the ending? I'll just quote someone else since its pretty much my opinion anyway.

鏡 wrote:
The AoT S2 ED is, uh, uniquely horrifying. That's a really creepy song.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
JacobC wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Quote:

Nah Production IG isn't assisting them this time like they did in S1. You're giving credits to the wrong people.

IG is part of the production comittee (I stand corrected to what I said before, bad memory). They are not credited with any in-house work for this episode, which doesn't mean that part of the staff of IG could not have made freelance work for Wit; Asano Kyouji (character designer and chief AD) has worked mostly for IG Production shows. At the very least, they are involved in the project.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Watched AOT. Welp, it's more AOT I guess.

I never got into it (though I managed to watch it all) thanks to finding the art style off-putting, never getting attached to the characters, and just finding the titans silly and ridiculous instead of creepy. Got more of the same....though at least the ape titan thing looks less stupid than the human titans? That was an improvement. I'll keep watching to continue following the discourse but...meh.

And holy recap My Hero Academy. I hope it picks up again, this episode was a bit of a chore.

I'm most looking forward to more Natsume Yuujinchou and Eccentric Family 2 Very Happy
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Dayum Attack on Titan!
I was worried that after that long hiatus AOT might've lost its touch but nope! It was gripping and managed to emit this deep sense of dread most horror shows wished they could pull off. If they keep the pacing tight like they did in this episode (people's biggest complaint of S1 was its pacing) then S2 might be even better!
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Watched Granblue Fantasy. That dragon mascot thing single-handedly ruined it for me. I could have taken it seriously perhaps if there wasn't an annoying floaty thing all over the place but nope. Pass.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
JacobC wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Quote:

IG is part of the production comittee (I stand corrected to what I said before, bad memory). They are not credited with any in-house work for this episode, which doesn't mean that part of the staff of IG could not have made freelance work for Wit; Asano Kyouji (character designer and chief AD) has worked mostly for IG Production shows. At the very least, they are involved in the project.

Yes I'm aware of the fact that IG is in the production committee but they're not assisting animation wise. Also Asano Kyoji is part of the staff from IG's sub studio Division 6 that established WIT with Takeshi Wada and Tetsuya Nakatake. He's not part of IG anymore although he does work on some of there shows from time to time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is CR being extra slow about announcing its titles this season? The season has already officially begun and yet it hasn't announced very many pick-ups yet.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Yes I'm aware of the fact that IG is in the production committee but they're not assisting animation wise. Also Asano Kyoji is part of the staff from IG's sub studio Division 6 that established WIT with Takeshi Wada and Tetsuya Nakatake. He's not part of IG anymore although he does work on some of there shows from time to time.

...That's exactly what I'm saying, anime works through networks of people knowing each other. Arifumi Imai didn't come to work on Attack on Titan just because, it's because they know him from I.G, and he is the stellar animator of the show, and it's the first time he worked in Wit. He hasn't done the work in-house from I.G. though, because production I.G. is never listed, and it doesn't need to be for that to be the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30