• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When Anime Series Jumped the Shark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll just say Gundam Seed Destiny and leave that up there.
eltodesukane

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
I am trying to remember a series that in the second half the show, which was already pretty existential as is started just cutting in random scenes of big breasted girls in cow print bikini's appearing to be milked. That second half of that series as a whole just completely dipped by my recollection.

I believe that's Melody of Oblivion. I never actually saw it for myself, but those visuals were pretty infamous back in the day.

v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
The first example that comes to mind for me is the ending of the My-Hime Anime. It had this really good kind of dark angst-riddled build up than "boom!" "Reset button ending" and everybody gets a happy ending completely gutting it of any dramatic weight. Season two of Chaika - The Coffin Princess also comes to mind as well.

I completely agree with you on My Hime. That has to be one of the worst anime endings of all time. It was so bad that I didn't even watch My Otome.

Even though it was only 12 episodes, I'd say Erased is a fine example of jumping the shark. The reveal of the killer was disappointing enough, but then it feels like writer had no idea what to do afterward, and basically spends the last three episodes destroying everything that made the Show good up to that point. spoiler[How do we solve the time travel issue? Well let's put the main character in a coma for 15 years. That makes perfect sense, and isn't lazy at all. That relationship we've been building for 9 episodes? Yeah let's throw all that out, have her marry someone else, and rub it in his face. Genius!]. The final confrontation in particular, was so embarrassingly bad that it defies explanation.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I have not watched Nadia but have heard about how it falls off the cliff when a certain famous director left.

That's exactly what happened. Hideaki Anno stepped out of the director's chair after episode 22 and didn't return until 35, which is why the episodes in between stick out like a sore thumb so badly.

He also walked out on His & Her Circumstances several years later, which could have been another candidate series for this list, although I can't think of one specific moment that signalled "the end" for that series as much as it was more like watching a slowly-unfolding train wreck.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
For me though, Code Geass jumped the shark when it decided to do that thing with Euphemia at the end of the first season. It had no buildup, no explanation, and tons of ways to ruin many of the show's characters, leading to the show deciding to try and replicate its "success" all through R2. And no, the ending was not paramount for R2 - just saying.

I can both agree and disagree with the above. I do think that's a valid pick in terms of a "jumping the shark" moment since quite a few people felt the same, but on the other hand...there actually was some build-up for what happened and I don't think it ruins anyone's character (other than the victim, I suppose) upon closer inspection. Which, admittedly, doesn't stop the chosen trigger phrase from being very silly and convenient. Then again, I'd say the show always had a combination of cruelty and campiness even long before this point, thus the use of crazy developments like everyone dressing up as Zero didn't truly feel out of line for me.

By "buildup", I'm mainly referring to the decision to have spoiler[Lelouch's Geass become permanent.] While the show had focused on Euphemia for about five episodes at this point, it made no real attempts to do the aforementioned thing with the Geass. Maybe they tried to do it with Mao being a kind of foil, and it failed or something, but I just don't see anything that would have suggested they were getting to that point, other than that it was almost the end of the season and there needed to be a grand final battle.

Also, to say it negatively impacted many of the characters would be an understatement, and it's part of the reason why I eventually became fed up with Euphemia. While I don't mind her character, her relationships are very contrived, with many - if not all of the - characters being infatuated with her despite how she directly contradicts many of the things that they believe in (with the exception of Suzaku, where the romance was pushed Kirito-Asuna style just to give Suzaku a "legit" reason to hate Lelouch). After she died, Cornelia became plot-armored and useless, disappearing for half of R2 and doing nothing but get shot in the second half. Suzaku basically became Darth Vader - a whiny little brat who just wanted to get laid - which would have been fine if his original mindset and new one weren't in service of the plot. And Nina... oh Lord, do I even have to explain her? In addition, the show treats them as if they are somehow victimized good guys, when all of them are mass murderers! I know the show is trying to replicate Gundam but, come on. This is just going too far.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Even though it was only 12 episodes, I'd say Erased is a fine example of jumping the shark. The reveal of the killer was disappointing enough, but then it feels like writer had no idea what to do afterward, and basically spends the last three episodes destroying everything that made the Show good up to that point. spoiler["How do we solve the time travel issue? Well let's put the main character in a coma for 15 years. That makes perfect sense, and isn't lazy at all.]. The final confrontation in particular, was embarrassingly bad.

To be fair, the manga was not heaps better. It wasn't the same ending, but it was still as corny.
spoiler[The best bit was that it happened at a picnic organised by the killer, which includes a flyer advertising the picnic which just screamed "TOTALLY NOT A TRAP!!!!!!!!!". Made me laugh.]

Personally, spoiler[I didn't mind the coma thing, just because it made for some emotional developments, but it was admittedly kind of a cop out plus you never learn why he can go back in time...]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everyone that said that this isn't really what 'jumping the shark' really means.

I also don't really care too much and want to complain about anime betraying my expectations.

I also don't want to get too into any of these more for laziness than anything. So,

Re: Zero's whale fight. Initially I didn't take Jake's foreseeing of the downhill drop we were heading for given the "please cheer me up, Rem" episode, but oh boy did that thing have places to go that I didn't care.

Higurashi turns into Scooby-Doo for its last arc. I get that the odds are bad and you sort of need to make it a .01% chance come true, but the way it went was awful.

Can Chuunibyou's entire second season be considered jumping the shark? I vote yes. You should, too.

I'm not too sure it fits even this already-thin-excuse for 'jump the shark' definition we're using because it recovered just fine afterwards but Samurai Champloo's zombie episode I had to freaking skip it was so bad.

As soon as it went up its own Visual-Novel-routes routine, Steins; Gate turned predictable and boring.

Now, for the stuff posted by people who actually gave lots of thought on it: I agree Kill la Kill was less fun for its second half, but I still thought it was half good. Disappointing at many points, but never enough to make me dislike the show. Code Geass' first season was full of ups and downs for me adding it all up to something quite fun, and the second season had less of both. I took a few months between watching them both, so I didn't mind some of the retreads too much.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Even though it was only 12 episodes, I'd say Erased is a fine example of jumping the shark. The reveal of the killer was disappointing enough, but then it feels like writer had no idea what to do afterward, and basically spends the last three episodes destroying everything that made the Show good up to that point. spoiler["How do we solve the time travel issue? Well let's put the main character in a coma for 15 years. That makes perfect sense, and isn't lazy at all. That relationship we've been building for 9 episodes? Yeah let's throw all that out, have her marry someone else, and rub it in his face. Genius!]. The final confrontation in particular, was so embarrassingly bad that it defies explanation.
Wasn't the source material not finished? The ending is laughable. A roof on a hospital? Who knew?
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I think even Tomino's Gundam jumped the shark with the movie CCA. It was supposed to be the final match between Amuro and Char but the latter was completely underdeveloped when compared with his previous appearances. Even if Char had better reasons for doing what he did, the rivalry is never solved. These two characters just keep talking and talking and the movie is done without a single resolution. The novel did it better by stating their fates though.

Then there is the subplot with Bright's kid and the girl he likes. It feels so out of placed and even unfinished.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I believe that's Melody of Oblivion. I never actually saw it for myself, but those visuals were pretty infamous back in the day.

That's it! It had a song thing in the name. I got stuck on Eternal Sonata in my head, but I know that's that music history themed JRPG.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Wasn't the source material not finished? The ending is laughable. A roof on a hospital? Who knew?

It was finished by the time the episode came out, but it was probably planned a lot in advance so during production the chapter was probably not done. The story verged a few chapters (months) before though, so the anime going its own way was pretty much planned and not a consequence of having to make do with what they had.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Personally, spoiler[I didn't mind the coma thing, just because it made for some emotional developments, but it was admittedly kind of a cop out plus you never learn why he can go back in time...]

Well, some things are best left unexplained. I would say Erased would not be made better with an explanation for it, just as Star Wars didn't need the Midichlorian explanation nor would most horror films need origin stories for their villains. The focus of Erased was how the protagonist (forgot his name) used his ability to turn back time to help people around him, not how he got them.

killjoy_the wrote:
Can Chuunibyou's entire second season be considered jumping the shark? I vote yes. You should, too.

Sure, a series can "jump the shark" and bounce back. People declare a series to jump the shark before it finishes, which does not discount the possibility that it can become good again. I mentioned it prior, but it's referred to as "growing the beard" (though it could also refer to an uptick in quality in a series with a rough start).
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I think Death Note should've been in the article. The whole arc with spoiler[Higuchi] was mostly pointless filler. It should've been obvious that spoiler[Light was guilty, especially after he had himself confined to "prove" his innocence - only a truly guilty party would go to such lengths.]

And the final arc with spoiler[Mello and Near] just padded out a series that had already outlived its welcome, IMO.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
For me, the triumphant commitment to showmanship in Code Geass ended up outweighing a lot of the very bad ideas that dragged it down to its lowest points, but with that in mind I actually prefer R2 to the first season, which gave us such rare gems as the Mao arc...and I'd agree with the sentiment that the spoiler[Euphemia massacre] constitutes a pretty fair leap over the proverbial shark well before perfect cinnamon Rolo gets around to Geass-ing the plot momentum.

Also also gotta agree 100% with an extra dose of salt over the Gohan cop out: even as a kid with not much of an opinion about the things I was watching DBZ managed to lose my interest after that. To this day I'm still like, Goten who? smh
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I think Death Note should've been in the article. The whole arc with spoiler[Higuchi] was mostly pointless filler. It should've been obvious that spoiler[Light was guilty, especially after he had himself confined to "prove" his innocence - only a truly guilty party would go to such lengths.]

And the final arc with spoiler[Mello and Near] just padded out a series that had already outlived its welcome, IMO.
Oh God, I forgot about that.

People always say that Death Note's problems started after spoiler[L died] but honestly I think the troubles began right around the point where Light spoiler[got amnesia]. The whole dynamic between Light and L became really awkward and I couldn't have cared less about what the evil businessmen in their boardroom were scheming. I liked the climax of that arc, but a lot of it just felt pointless.

As much as I don't like Near and Mello, I actually think that was my least favourite part of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7