• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Murciélago GN 1 & 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
She CAN have her own opinion! But the problem is she assumes everyone should or will have a problem with it. It seems like almost everything is "problematic" somehow and that automatically makes a story bad. People want to discuss sensitive topics and read different kinds of things but we can't really enjoy anything." Because what if someone gets offended or triggered?" is always of the paramount importance when it comes to evaluating media nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
She CAN have her own opinion! But the problem is she assumes everyone should or will have a problem with it.

Where, exactly, does she assume that?

rinmackie wrote:
It seems like almost everything is "problematic" somehow and that automatically makes a story bad.

The review expresses the almost literal opposite view:

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
The story is far more interested in being loudly violent and sexual, which isn't a problem from a storytelling perspective; however, if seeing yards of intestine and fairly graphic lesbian sex scenes aren't your cup of tea, this won't be the series for you.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

I totally agree as well. That's why I don't post much here, anymore. I can't stand the virtue signaling and there seems to be a sort of groupthink on this forum. It almost seems like you can't disagree on whatever the general consensus is on a certain topic without getting scolded or shouted down. Even if you try to be polite about it.

The thing that many seem to not understand as of late is that there is a vast difference between disagreeing with a reviewer's opinions and attacking the reviewer. There is a difference between disagreeing with a user and detailing your reasons why you do or do not agree with whatever the stated opinion is, and just insulting them personally. One is polite, one most assuredly is not. Far too often the so called "polite" disagreements are not in fact polite. They are instead often mean spirited comments, thinly veiled (or direct) insults, or simply users trying to puff out their own chests and stand on their soapboxes under the guise of simply stating their opinion. All the while they are in fact little more then loud mouth braggarts who often just want a chance to shout/yell and try to put down someone else for daring to have a differing opinion than their own holy writ. Most of the time doing this while also completely ruining discussions in the process and not once actually trying to civilly PM the user or staff member to clarify their position. No no, that would defeat the purpose of their public spectacle. Now if any user feels that acting in such a manner is somehow actually being "polite", or that expecting users to not act in this manner is somehow "group think" mentality, then I would say that perhaps they should find a place where such behavior is tolerated.

Now that we've cleared that confusion up how about we actually get back to the actual topic as this has gotten well and truly off of it to say the least. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2