• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan Creator Laments His Poor Drawing Skills at Signing Event

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, is there a way to keep track of signing events in Japan? Do they do these kinds of events often?
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Good story>great art No worries sensei
Miskos3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Besides, he's improved so much when compared to the early chapters
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate his drawing style I really respect the guy for being this humble.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Miskos3 wrote:
Marzan wrote:

Agreed. Yes, his artwork wasn't the most polished when the series began but the strength of the story more than made up for it. Plus, he's improved immensely since that time.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I guess he never thought about co-producing his work with a good artist, huh?
He could have just looked for an artist to work with. I don't mind his art, it's totally fine. But if he's that depressed about it, there is certainly no reason he can't get someone else to do it. It might have been a little tricky at first, but these days, he'd have more than a few people chomping at the bit, I'm sure.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Miskos3 wrote:
Marzan wrote:

Agreed. Yes, his artwork wasn't the most polished when the series began but the strength of the story more than made up for it. Plus, he's improved immensely since that time.

precisely my thoughts, at the start it was very rough but has improved a lot since he started
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Aw poor guy Smile
I'm fond of seeing his development though because it reminds me of the webcomic artists I've followed over the years and the drastic changes their styles went through.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
He could have just looked for an artist to work with. I don't mind his art, it's totally fine. But if he's that depressed about it, there is certainly no reason he can't get someone else to do it. It might have been a little tricky at first, but these days, he'd have more than a few people chomping at the bit, I'm sure.

For some reasons it seems like having a writer/artist pair is just not much of a thing in Japan. I mean there are exceptions sure (like Riku Sanjo/Koji Inada of Dragon Quest/Beet fame), but for the vast majority, mangaka will just do both story and art even when in some case art is not their strong point (and that was possibly even truer way back in the 70s/80s leading to anime adaptation often looking better than their manga counterpart).

I'm just not sure why this isn't much of a thing. In term of say Japanse or Europeans comics books it's pretty much the opposite where it's rarer to have the artist and the writer me the same.

-Sergorn
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I know he's a fan of MMA so I enjoy his art when he does Eren vs. Titan matches.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
For some reasons it seems like having a writer/artist pair is just not much of a thing in Japan. I mean there are exceptions sure (like Riku Sanjo/Koji Inada of Dragon Quest/Beet fame), but for the vast majority, mangaka will just do both story and art even when in some case art is not their strong point (and that was possibly even truer way back in the 70s/80s leading to anime adaptation often looking better than their manga counterpart).

I don't really think that's true. Many of my favorite classic manga were done by two people (Fist of the North Star, Kinnikuman). It seemed to me like half the manga produced are solo and the other half are collaborations. One Punch Man is a recent popular writer/artist combo. As is The Heroic Legend of Arslan.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One Punch Man is a recent popular writer/artist combo. As is The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

That's not quite true in these cases.

Yoshiki Tanaka is credited on Arslan true, but he's not writing the manga, he's credited because he's the original of the manga. Arakawa is doing both the plot and the writing of the manga adaptation.

Ditto for ONE and Murata as I recall. ONE does the original webcomic, but Murata writes and draw the manga.

Side note : Japan actually tend to use the exact same term of Gensaku for both "Original Creator" and "Writer" for manga credits. This sometimes leads to some issue having original creators credited as writers in translated work even when that isn't the case (we had the case on several Saint Seiya mangas in France where Masami Kurumada ended up credited as writer for a while), so we shouldn't assume this necesarilly means the "Gensaku" is the writer of the manga. This is dumb but that's how it is.

That being said I have over 1200 mangas at home with dozens and dozens and series, and very few of them have a writer/artist pair. So I stand with my assesment.

-Sergorn
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The only reason why I haven't read much of the Attack on Titan manga is because I don't like the art style. I plan reading more, one of these days. Maybe when they release more of the big editions.
Yuza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

At this point I don't think the fans would accept someone else drawing it, because style is hard to replicate and no one wants to watch an imitator who could always be drawing their own style. He still wants to draw the manga, he's just frustrated with his skills. Handing over your own manga to someone else just hurts your pride, your credibility and your wallet since splitting the money also becomes a problem.

He could have looked for an artist to work with in the beginning, but finding someone who you can actually trust to draw your story is difficult. Writing takes up way less time and money than drawing, and when you do get serialized the issue of payment can destroy a partnership. Also, he might really like drawing too, even if he isn't that good at it yet.

I think they were willing to publish him in the first place because his art showed potential and was perfectly serviceable, and if you draw every day trying to meet a deadline you're going to get better. His mindset shows he wants to improve too, so he has a good attitude as well.
sarroush

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
He should lament what he did in Chapter 93 instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2