• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did Netflix Make A Decent Death Note Film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@Xiximaro There have been 4 Japanese live action movie adaptations, a TV drama and a miniseries. Why is one US live action version that is different than the manga so heinous to you that no one can reasonably like it, and would only express positive opinions on the movie if they are being paid to?
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:
What every comic fans wants is his favorite comic faithfully adapted. Yes they like the current Marvel movies, do you know why? Cause they are defeatists, because they think they know there will never be a faithful adaptation and they believe that crap(or decent movies) is better than nothing. That kind of thinking creates demand and because of it we have a Marvel Cinematic Universe, which translates too, "Sorry we can't adapt your loved comics cause we don't want to put effort in it or take risks, but since we can't admit that we created the MCU as an excuse".
Tell me one non comic fan that would prefer seeing Spider-Man highlight in Civil War being, stealing Captain America's shield instead of what actually happened in the comics, Spider-man revealing his identity publicly and switching to Captain's America side?

Maybe it's cause I'm also an anime fan, but I have higher standards than that, which is why I dislike the MCU. I know adaptions can be both faithful and good. Just look at most anime adaptions. Sucks nothing like that exists here for comics. MCU Spider-Man is a disgrace. A GoPro vlogging millenial who gets his suit and powers from Iron Man and is more like Tony's sidekick than his own hero? Total insult, even worse than sidelining Cap for Iron Man. I imagine they skipped Uncle Ben because Peter cares more about Tony than his uncle in the MCU.

Main problem here is Hollywood wants the money from the normie audience and wont settle for just modest profit from catering to fans like Japan does. Comics are niche. Manga is niche. But what if we make a movie that is loosely based on them, but ultimately is dumbed down for a general audience? More money potential. It all boils down to greed why we don't get faithful adaptions. Then again, how come Japanese television and movie audiences love Detective Conan, One Piece, Boku no Hero Academia, and all those other faithful adaptions but us westerners scoff at the mere idea of a faithful comic or book adaption and love to hide behind the 'it needs to be more accessible' excuse?

I agree with everything you said, yeah anime adaptations is a great example and they can make a faithful adaptation with a mere 2 million bucks, which is astonishing. Still I don't believe in the term normies, that's just a label to say that there are two audiences which for me is just a misconception... There's only one audience it's just that some prefer comics format and the others prefer movies. There's exactly the same kind of people in either both sides.
Greed indeed they turned Marvel movies into Macdonalds...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Sounds ok for 'Death Note: The After-School Special'. But man, they could've probably put in a little more money to make it look less cheap. After all, they were willing to throw a lot more down the drain for The Get Down.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Xiximaro There have been 4 Japanese live action movie adaptations, a TV drama and a miniseries. Why is one US live action version that is different than the manga so heinous to you that no one can reasonably like it, and would only express positive opinions on the movie if they are being paid to?

I don't get it, I didn't say it was heinous, why twist things man. Everybody can like whatever they like. I'm just calling out that the reviewer clearly says that the adaptation ain't nothing special but sugar coats it saying in some aspects is better than the source(regarding L for example), meaning "This is not good, but Netflix L is better than L in the manga, so go watch it, those Netflix links on my review aren't there just for show you know?"
If the objective of the movie isn't adapting faithfully the manga, why call it "Death Note"? Better off giving it an entirely different name or advertise it has a loosely adaptation of the manga...
IG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I don't get it, I didn't say it was heinous, why twist things man. Everybody can like whatever they like. I'm just calling out that the reviewer clearly says that the adaptation ain't nothing special but sugar coats it saying in some aspects is better than the source(regarding L for example), meaning "This is not good, but Netflix L is better than L in the manga, so go watch it, those Netflix links on my review aren't there just for show you know?"
If the objective of the movie isn't adapting faithfully the manga, why call it "Death Note"? Better off giving it an entirely different name or advertise it has a loosely adaptation of the manga...
Thats not what he was saying at all . He didn't say it was not good . He said kept him entertain and that made im think. Maybe he really did like L this better . Maybe he didn't like the original.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:

I don't get the impression the reviewer thought it wasn't good. They seemed relatively positive, though it definitely wasn't the best movie they saw. They didn't say it was shit because they didn't think it was shit. If I am misreading their review, the reviewer can correct me. And even if they only liked what they did with L - and Mi(s)a - why do you think that that positive is not genuine and means that they were paid to be more positive? If you believe it is the job of reviewers to only look for negatives for reviews that are overall negative, which again I don't believe this is, you are mistaken. Every series review on this site has a section highlighting the positives even if they are extremely modest. An even handed review at least mentions any positives they saw if only to dismiss them as insufficient.

Also aside from the first link, the others lead to where you can see the anime and manga online in English.

Finally, if they changed the title from Death Note, it would be torn apart as a Death Note ripoff even if it was very different in the details. Personally speaking, having it set in Seattle and having a black L is sufficient to the end of advertising it as a loose adaptation of the manga.
Woomy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Are you really saying that Gus van Sant's Psycho, Hollywood's single most faithful adaptation ever made, is better than the movie adaptation of Shrek, which has almost nothing in common with the book it was based on?

I can also point you to an example in Warcraft and Watchmen, Hollywood movies that were catered very much for the fans that the general public hated. You're under the impression that what draws a fan into a work is what will draw everyone else in too.

I'm under the impression that, if a faithful adaptation can(possibility) draw both the fans and the non existing fans, why not do it instead of a loosely adaptation that will mostly attract non fans(if there's the possibility, it's better to attract two types of audiences instead of only one, no)? If the source(manga) did attract non fans in the first place why can't the faithful movie adaptation do it too? Please don't twist my point of view.
Aren't we talking about anime here, why are you bringing comics? We can talk about them. What every comic fans wants is his favorite comic faithfully adapted. Yes they like the current Marvel movies, do you know why? Cause they are defeatists, because they think they know there will never be a faithful adaptation and they believe that crap(or decent movies) is better than nothing. That kind of thinking creates demand and because of it we have a Marvel Cinematic Universe, which translates too, "Sorry we can't adapt your loved comics cause we don't want to put effort in it or take risks, but since we can't admit that we created the MCU as an excuse".
Tell me one non comic fan that would prefer seeing Spider-Man highlight in Civil War being, stealing Captain America's shield instead of what actually happened in the comics, Spider-man revealing his identity publicly and switching to Captain's America side?

Dude, as a hardcore comic lover, the reason the Civil War film was good, was because it WASN'T so much like its comic counterpart. And don't act like comic fans are just giving up accepting Marvel films for what they are. Like, the spirit of these stories and characters are what's most important, and considering comics have literally DECADES of freaking source material and MULTIPLE incarnations by dozens of writers, adapting everything to the T is damn near impossible. But on to explaining this stuff.

The Civil War comic series was one of the worst storylines of the past decade from Marvel. Mark Millar didn't care what he sacrificed in order to make his flimsy concept work. And if you would try to do everything like the comic in the context of the MCU, it would make no damn sense whatsoever.

The film adaptation doesn't suddenly make characters like Tony Star absolute monsters. In the comic series, Tony Stark and Reed Richards in particular were so pro-registration that they were willing to imprison, clone, and even kill all these people they once called friends. It's so out of character for them. Tony wouldn't be that freaking heartless, and Reed siding with the Registration Act is also strange considering he once sided against a similar thing against mutants.

In the film, the sides each hero takes all takes into account the development they've had within these movies. Tony siding with the accords vs. Cap. make sense. Tony shares a lot of guilt due to his own past developing weapons with Stark tech, and what the Avengers have been doing. He's more open to control if it means lessening damage. Cap. saw S.H.I.E.L.D. literally destroyed from the inside and even people like Nick Fury going against the ideals Cap. carries. He knows there are agendas everywhere in this modern world. Him wanting to keep individual control makes sense.

Hell, even the Accords have a more justifiable gray area than the freaking Superhero Registration Act. The Accords are something that if a hero doesn't sign then they're given a choice to just retire because if they don't they are labeled as vigilantes thus becoming fugitives. Anyone who didn't sign the Registration Act, were immediately hunted down for their mere existence. It was extreme especially considering all heroes have done at that point.

The movie has both sides putting forth good arguments. The comics have one side clearly good, the other bad. Tony on that bad side making awful decisions and being completely ignorant to the consequences.

I could keep going as to why it doesn't work but don't act like different means bad. Sometimes adaptations can improve upon things.

Mark Millar is kind of a hack. Both Civil War comic series have been terrible. The film was good because it differed even though it worked upon the concept. Also, just saying, the MCU never stated it was going to be any direct copy of anything. It's its own continuity and in the Marvel multiverse actually exist.

Hell, going back to Death Note, the Japanese films also changed some things for the better. Particularly the ending which is a significant improvement and how it always should have been. It should have always ended between Light and L, and it had a rather ingenious way to go about setting it up.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Aren't we talking about anime here, why are you bringing comics?

Well, I only brought up a comic book adaptation once--the others are an adaption of another movie, an adaptation of a children's book, and an adaptation of a video game. My point is that Hollywood has been making very loose adaptations ever since the very beginning. (And depending on the medium it's adapted from, sometimes it's outright impossible to keep it faithful.) This is not a new phenomenon, and no one else really cares. When they adapt a book into a hit movie, suddenly every book club and bookstore is promoting it. They're proud it was chosen to be adapted.

What are your favorite movies? Chances are there is at least one that is a loose adaptation. The Wizard of Oz? Gone with the Wind? The Shawshank Redemption? Jurassic Park? Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy? Jaws? The War Horse? Those are all adaptations with a lot of liberties taken. If it's not from George Lucas and not from Pixar, chances are a classic film is an adaptation of an existing story or real-life event.

Woomy wrote:
Mark Millar is kind of a hack. Both Civil War comic series have been terrible. The film was good because it differed even though it worked upon the concept. Also, just saying, the MCU never stated it was going to be any direct copy of anything. It's its own continuity and in the Marvel multiverse actually exist.

Well, I did like what he did with Superman: Red Son. But that was a "What if...?" story and not canon. (Still, it is clear that Mark Millar has personal issues with external control.)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
Like, the spirit of these stories and characters are what's most important, and considering comics have literally DECADES of freaking source material and MULTIPLE incarnations by dozens of writers, adapting everything to the T is damn near impossible.

The spirit of the comics, eh? The MCU can't even acknowledge Reed Richards or the X-Men. Iron Man is the leader of the Avengers instead of Cap. Mandarin is the figment of some random rich white guy's imagination . Pepper x Tony is pushed hard instead of Pepper x Happy. Flash is a shrimpy foreign dweeb my little sister could beat up. Mary Jane is an ugly, snarky afrocentric chick. Spider-Man is Iron Man Jr. Nova is some old fat guy. I could go on but there's too much to list.. basically the movies laugh at the spirit of the comics.

Sounds like your main beef is Tony is the bad guy in Civil War. That's kind of the point. We're talking about a guy who shot his friend Bruce Banner into space because he was seen as too dangerous to live on Earth. Tony's an asshole. It's his thing. He's not this charismatic, quippy Robert Downy Jr guy.

Yeah, the Japanese Death Note films changes stuff, but they already did a faithful adaption in the form of the anime. They earned the right to mess around and experiment. Hollywood, on the other hand, skips step one and always goes to 2. The best thing they could have done is make it an unrelated story, like what if a random American guy gets a Death Note totally unrelated to Light's story. Not trying to pass these people off as the manga cast. Like how Witchblade's anime was about a random Japanese woman got a witchblade, and not Sara. Same universe, different setting and characters. People would have been far less anal about the film if they did that.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
What they are talking about? There are many good manga basedive action movies and TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Woomy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Woomy wrote:
Like, the spirit of these stories and characters are what's most important, and considering comics have literally DECADES of freaking source material and MULTIPLE incarnations by dozens of writers, adapting everything to the T is damn near impossible.

The spirit of the comics, eh? The MCU can't even acknowledge Reed Richards or the X-Men. Iron Man is the leader of the Avengers instead of Cap. Mandarin is the figment of some random rich white guy's imagination . Pepper x Tony is pushed hard instead of Pepper x Happy. Flash is a shrimpy foreign dweeb my little sister could beat up. Mary Jane is an ugly, snarky afrocentric chick. Spider-Man is Iron Man Jr. Nova is some old fat guy. I could go on but there's too much to list.. basically the movies laugh at the spirit of the comics.

Sounds like your main beef is Tony is the bad guy in Civil War. That's kind of the point. We're talking about a guy who shot his friend Bruce Banner into space because he was seen as too dangerous to live on Earth. Tony's an asshole. It's his thing. He's not this charismatic, quippy Robert Downy Jr guy.

Yeah, the Japanese Death Note films changes stuff, but they already did a faithful adaption in the form of the anime. They earned the right to mess around and experiment. Hollywood, on the other hand, skips step one and always goes to 2. The best thing they could have done is make it an unrelated story, like what if a random American guy gets a Death Note totally unrelated to Light's story. Not trying to pass these people off as the manga cast. Like how Witchblade's anime was about a random Japanese woman got a witchblade, and not Sara. Same universe, different setting and characters. People would have been far less anal about the film if they did that.

Marvel Studios don't have the film rights to Fantastic Four and X-Men so that's something they can't help.

Captain America is clearly the freaking leader of the Avengers so I don't know what movies you've been watching. He literally lived at the Tower for a while and was in charge of their missions. Not to mention all the times in the films where he just steps up to take charge.

Pepper Potts is important to Tony Stark?

The Mandarin is a character that would need extensive rewrites to begin with because at best he's oriental, at worst he's racist. You want the real Mandarin? Look no urther than Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. Didn't really mind the Mandarin twist the more I thought about it because it was rather clever actually.

Flash Thompson just wasn't a stereotypical jock bully this time around, so I just saw them translating it more to contemporary settings. I'm a die hard Spidey fan as he's my favorite superhero of all time and it's not even close. He still fills the role he's always filled being more popular and giving him a hard time.

Michelle WASN'T Mary Jane Watson. The nod to MJ at the end of Homecoming was just a reference. The film makers even confirmed she wasn't MJ. Look it up if you have to. And wow, not even hiding that subtle racism there are you?

Peter Parker is totally still Peter Parker. Just because Iron Man is playing a mentor role here at the moment, doesn't mean he isn't still his own.

John C. Reilley in Guardians of the Galaxy was just Rhomann Day. We have yet to see Nova/Richard Rider in the MCU.

And as for Civil War comics, yes, Tony can be an asshole, but what he does in those books are downright horrible and not assholish. He's NOT a freaking heartless monster. Seems both Civil Wars decide to destroy a lot of characterization for the sake of making the concept work. Civil War 2 left a bad taste in my mouth with Carol Danvers. Almost Captain Fascist instead of Captain Marvel.

Mark Millar is just kind of a hack. He can't seem to help but turn almost every character he writes into edgemaster murderlords. He's not as bad as some writers, but he is very overrated and one next to people like Frank Millar who don't deserve even half the praise he gets.

Just stop. You don't know what truly makes a lot of these stories and characters dude.

Also, what the hell does that even mean that Japan gets a free pass doing new spins on things but other adaptations don't? And while I praised the movie endings, Japan still made a subpar live action series, a fairly boring L spinoff, and some utterly stupid fanfiction-esque sequel in Light Up the NEW World. Most of Japan's live action anime adaptations suck total ass. The only truly great one is Rurouni Kenshin.

And seriously, what the hell kind of argument is this? You're complaining about things not being faithful, and then just said the Netflix film shouldn't be faithful and do its own thing completely?

This is just dumb now.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is just dumb now.

Yes it is. You're both starting to get rude towards each other, and this is also quite OT. So let's get back to the actual topic, the Death note movie. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4