• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon Prime Video - Worst Streaming Platform Ever?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Yes, obviously, Amazon isn't involved with physical releases directly, but when they obtain the streaming rights to a show, that could very well have implications for a physical release. As example, a condition of their streaming license may be that no physical release appears in that territory for "x" number of years. I hasten to add that I don't know if that is the case, simply that it may be a possibility.

Your mention of AP shows that are licensed by Sentai or other companies is utterly irrelevant. We are discussing noitaminA titles and AP has exclusive rights to stream and simulcast them in North America. What we are trying to discern is what impact that arrangement might have on future physical release of noitaminA titles.

Your observation that not all noitaminA titles get a NA release is correct as far as it goes, but if you look at the list of 54 noitaminA titles that came out before AP's exclusive arrangement, you will see that vast majority have actually gotten a NA release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noitamina
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so going over the wikipedia page, here are my findings:
Noitamina shows (prior to Amazon agreement) (this is out of 54 shows up to this point)

Not released in the US (but was released in other regions):
Kuuchuu Buranko
Black Rock Shooter
Tatami Galaxy (licensed by Funi, streamed, but never got physical NA release)
Nodame Cantabile (manga up to 16 released in US, though I believe it was finished digitally)
Hakaba Kitaro (currently getting English manga release)

Manga only released:
Moyashimon (first two vols only)
Wandering Son (up to vol 8)

Not released in any form:
Hataraki Man

So, out of 54 shows, only 5 series haven’t had at least an English sub release in any region (although some things, like Nodame Cantabile and Moyashimon, do have more than one season), but only 1 series (Hataraki Man) doesn’t even have any of the manga released in English. So 8 out of 54 series didn’t get an NA release, but you’re really only hard pressed on just a few. Though I will admit on the manga, only the Kitaro manga is currently in print.

Shows from Kabaneri on (and status):
Kabaneri-released by Funimation (aired Spring 2016, physical release Jan 2018)
Battery-no home release company
Great Passage-no home release company
Scum’s Wish-no home release, but manga is available
Saekano season 2-no home release company (even though season 1 was AoA)
Dive!!-no home release company
Inuyashiki-no home rights, but manga is available
After the Rain-currently airing
Wotakoi-Spring 2018 (scheduled)
Banana Fish-Summer 2018 (scheduled)-manga is OOP, no digital release (unless we bug Viz a ton, do it!)
Kabaneri season 2-TBA

So of 7 completed shows, only one has a home release that came out a good 1.75 years after it aired. Other shows have come out on home release much quicker than that, especially in this day and age. Kabaneri is a bit odd since it’s listed as being Amazon for streaming, but Crunchyroll with the overall licensing rights (it’s possible that since it was the first, some of the rights surrounding it were more messed up than the others)
So you can see why I would be so concerned about if Banana Fish will ever get a release when 6+ of their other shows have no sort of future blu-ray release even set up to occur. And prior to AP getting all their stuff exclusively, more than 80% of noitaminA shows got a physical release. And while I don't know exactly what Amazon's demands were, it's entirely possible that "home release NEVER" is among them, cus that's sure as hell what it looks like to me right now. So I think my freaking out here is actually quite justified.
Also, I looked back on the ANN article on noitaminA/Amazon, it doesn't mention anything about home rights either way. Perhaps it's just info they didn't have or info they couldn't mention, either way, there's no answer there either.

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the work, classicalzawa! However, you can shift both Nodame Cantabile and Hakaba Kitaro from the Manga only released category to Not released in the US (but was released in other regions) category. Both of them got Australian releases. I actually own Hakaba Kitaro... it's awesome if you're into offbeat Japanese horror with comedy elements.

I don't think AP's exclusive streaming/simulcasting rights means that there will NEVER be any home releases of those noitaminA titles, but because the situation is still pretty new and we only have Kabaneri to go on (so far) it's hard to guess what the implications are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6