• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Auto-playing videos are easily the worst thing on the modern mainstream Internet, with video "articles" that could be delivered far more efficiently via text a close second. And that's not even mentioning loading times and mobile data usage. Kill them with fire.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I .... have not seem them. Where are they supposed to be? Maybe I saw them and didn't recognize them.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I rather they be on a separate article or something. Not a fan of auto-play videos especially.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I’ll echo earlier thoughts and say that I don’t mind videos being there, but what I do mind is that it auto plays. If you could have it not do that, that would be great. Please and thank you.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I saw several all back to back yesterday, but have yet to see one today. The autoplay was a little startling, mostly because it's pretty loud, and it caused me to avoid scrolling too far down after learning what would happen. For short articles it was especially bad since just clicking through would cause it to start. I don't mind the videos themselves, but definitely dislike the autoplay(especially with sound) aspect. If you are able to drop that, I'll be more or less indifferent to them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Is this an evil scheme to encourage more people to become Subscribers?

Good gracious, of course not, it is an scheme to drive away from ANN those that not left after years of negative reviews.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I .... have not seem them. Where are they supposed to be? Maybe I saw them and didn't recognize them.

They are at the bottom of some news and interest articles. I can say that it is possible you might not have recognized them since I sure didn't until now. I thought they were video ads of some kind, so I ignored them.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, the video thing is awful. The first time I saw it at the bottom of an article, I just thought it was an ad, and then it started autoplaying and I backed out quickly. Then I saw this post, and knowing it's there, I still accidentally scrolled down, it started autoplaying and BLASTED me with loud audio since I was listening to a quiet podcast- I scrambled to close the window. Autoplay videos, especially with sound, are essentially one of the biggest website sins. I haven't actually watched the content of the video yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I haven't actually watched the content of the video yet.

They don't seem to appear for subscribers... So I opened ANN in an incognito window and checked one out. You didn't miss anything by not watching. They're cheaply done recaps of what you've already seen if you've looked at the front page. If I weren't a subscriber I can't imagine that I'd ever watch one because they add essentially no value to the site experience. Because of the delay in posting the video, I've already seen the content and scrolled past if I wasn't interested.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a lot of work with no payoff.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
quite frankly the first time I ran into one and it started autoplaying I wound up with a panic attack. I had my headphones on and some soft music playing because I was stressed and trying to relax and having that start so suddenly and unexpectedly just threw me off completely. autoplay is evil.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Please stop the autoplay. I just want to be able to read the news without being blasted with sound. And like others said, I just thought they were ads until I saw this post.
MBAZ54
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone else, I do not like autoplay. Turn it off!

The few that I watched, I was not interested in the content and the content did not match the tags (anime, mange, live-action, etc.) of the article that they were embedded in. Also I prefer to read the that kind of content, not watch it (I'm old school that way).
Mystifire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Just to make sure the point is emphasized I will add to the pile

Please stop it from auto-playing
SilverTamashi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Like most people here I'm mostly annoyed about the auto play but the video itself is fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9