• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Whatever Happened to Welcome to the Ballroom?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sure, you're abnormal. I'm abnormal.

Normalcy is a really stupid thing to argue, but if we're going to say in order for our society to function that heterosexuality is not the norm, then I'd be really interested to see how such a society could function.

You're moving the goal posts. And I guess unwilling to call me aberrant and not preferred. Why is that? Besides the, "Well you're not normal but whatever it's a stupid thing anyway." C'mon.

The entirety of your heteronormativity argument rests on the definition you provided, but you are not interpreting it correctly. Heteronormativity is not about what is most common, it's the mindset that a particular orientation and particular roles are normal and preferred -- and everything else is not. A society being primarily comprised of heterosexual people is not necessarily going to be heteronormative IF it simultaneously promotes other orientations and ways of living as valid and equal.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Not being heteronormative does not mean that you think that the plurality of people should be gay. It just means that you let people decide by themselves what they want to do without pressuring them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So, going with that, do you expect every romance manga/anime now to have the characters go through a phase where they're homo/bi/trans/pan/asexual?

How would a series that doesn't insert some character dealing with gender identity get away from being demeaned as heteronormative?

Does the LGBTQ anime community really want this to go down to early 2000's American cartoon shows where there was always a black/latino person and usually someone handicapped just so it could shout diversity?

I suppose to be more simply put, why would it not be the author's choice whether or not to include anything other than a heterosexual pairing? And why wouldn't the LGBTQ community be able to respect that choice if it happens to be heteronormative?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:

鏡 wrote:

I'm interested in hearing what you think the "academic" notion of heteronormativity denotes, and how you think its popular "bastardization" differs.

You mean besides the paragraph directly above the one you quoted?

Yeah, because there isn't a definition of either version in that paragraph.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So, going with that, do you expect every romance manga/anime now to have the characters go through a phase where they're homo/bi/trans/pan/asexual?

How would a series that doesn't insert some character dealing with gender identity get away from being demeaned as heteronormative?

Does the LGBTQ anime community really want this to go down to early 2000's American cartoon shows where there was always a black/latino person and usually someone handicapped just so it could shout diversity?

No, but I dont want anime to characterize gays as some kind of weird perverts, as they often do.
In addition, these stories where the conflict is that the guy is not manly enough and that the girl is not feminine enough are problematic, but luckily they are not common in modern anime at least.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Probably because that isn't a nazi viewpoint?

Except it... literally is? The Nazis considered LGBT people, and even gender non-conforming people, to be "degenerate" and a plague on civilization. LGBT were specifically targeted and murdered in the Holocaust (though not at the rates of Jews and Romani people. Though of course there weren't nearly as many of them to kill).

EDIT: I see this has already been brought up, with sources from the Holocaust museum. I was too slow while reading the thread. Anyways, yeah.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Sweet baby jesus this is ridiculous at this point. No more discussion on nazis, gay nazis, heteronormative nazis, alien nazis, or any other kind of nazis. It has zero to do with the show or the article itself. The nazi discussion is over. Move on.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's also worth noting, for all this talk about how gays are "causing" declining birth rates or whatever, that Japan has not legalized gay marriage and their LGBT agenda is far behind that of European countries or the USA yet they have the most dangerous decline in birthrate and the most drastic shift in the population pyramid, to the point that they're looking at being incapable of sustaining the senior citizen pension system in the next 10-15 years because there won't be enough working youngs. So hey, as unbelievable as it may sound, LGBT people may not in fact be responsible for "the downfall of civilization"
Most people have mentioned other reasons. The demonization of men, the gradual destruction of the family unit, and the promotion of the idea that heterosexual relationships are sexist. It is a complex issue and even if the heterosexual population decreased to 90% it wouldn't be a problem if the other issues went away. Instead we are in a situation where half the city is on fire and some people believe the solution is more fire. A lot of people are legitimately worried. People should be free to make their own decisions but a lot of ideologies getting promoted nowadays are going to cause problems in the future.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Frog-kun wrote:
So I was reading this thread for some light evening entertainment. I didn't expect articles I'd written about completely unrelated shows to be a point of discussion here.

I'm with Ashabel wondering where I criticised Sword Art Online for being too heterosexual. Just between you and me, though, while I think that Kirito and Asuna are a cute couple, I also think that Kirito and Eugeo would make an even cuter couple. So maybe I'm guilty as charged.

Also: I've never been on an Anime Feminist podcast, or a podcast anywhere, for that matter.

---

I wish I had strong opinions about Welcome to the Ballroom, but I don't. I am a bit mad about how it doesn't use ballroom dance music for its dance sequences, though. And from everything that I've heard from ballroom dancers, it doesn't seem like it captures the spirit of the sport. It's a shame.

Oh Frog-Kun you're the greatest, don't change Very Happy

I honestly think the thread should stay open. Besides the toxicity towards the beginning with the preaching of the end of civilization nonsense, there has been some genuinely good discourse that remained relatively civilized.

This show provides a great platform for talking about gender politics and their detriment to certain partner sports. However I think the way it was gone about article came across as a general attack on traditional gender roles, which is what sparked the backlash. Look at how Mojave brought up the issues with traditional gender roles and how it can completely kill the chemistry of ballroom dancing. The way it was discussed there is not offensive and comes off not as attack on traditional gender roles just because they are traditional, but because they ruin the chemistry that is required to perform Ballroom at a high level.

It's sad, because you made a ton of great points that I would consider correct Jacob. Especially everything about how terrible the characters are and everything related to the partner dynamics. However it was the phrasing that made it seem like traditional gender roles were the problem in and of itself (which I don't think you really meant) and not their relation to Ballroom.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho - This discourse over nazi's has continued with input from Zac and Jake, with Zac querying the thread if we want to just lock the thread or allow discussion to continue. If we're allowing discussion to continue in general, I think the discussion on nazi's is still fine if it is civil discourse (which it mainly has been for the past few pages). Random insult or hate posts can be easily tossed out.

My personal vote is to let discussion continue in the thread. As a mod, I sometimes regret having to shut down off-topic discussions that I find interesting even though I understand why. If there's wiggle room to allow civil off-topic discussion to continue then I wouldn't mind. But I can understand if the majority would rather just shut things down here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
@Psycho - This discourse over nazi's has continued with input from Zac and Jake, with Zac querying the thread if we want to just lock the thread or allow discussion to continue. If we're allowing discussion to continue in general, I think the discussion on nazi's is still fine if it is civil discourse (which is mainly has been for the past few threads).

My personal vote is to let discussion continue in the thread. As a mod, I sometimes regret having to shut down off-topic discussions that I find interesting even though I understand why. If there's wiggle room to allow civil off-topic discussion to continue then I wouldn't mind. But I can understand if the majority would rather just shut things down here.

Zac said to get back on topic in his last post after apologizing for helping the thread go further OT. Then I assume he went back and edited the post, or removed it and others, after the fact to then inquire about locking. So I am going by what Zac originally said which is to get back on topic and off that line of discussion. Until he says otherwise or locks the thread himself.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
It's also worth noting, for all this talk about how gays are "causing" declining birth rates or whatever, that Japan has not legalized gay marriage and their LGBT agenda is far behind that of European countries or the USA yet they have the most dangerous decline in birthrate and the most drastic shift in the population pyramid, to the point that they're looking at being incapable of sustaining the senior citizen pension system in the next 10-15 years because there won't be enough working youngs. So hey, as unbelievable as it may sound, LGBT people may not in fact be responsible for "the downfall of civilization"
Most people have mentioned other reasons. The demonization of men, the gradual destruction of the family unit, and the promotion of the idea that heterosexual relationships are sexist. It is a complex issue and even if the heterosexual population decreased to 90% it wouldn't be a problem if the other issues went away. Instead we are in a situation where half the city is on fire and some people believe the solution is more fire. A lot of people are legitimately worried. People should be free to make their own decisions but a lot of ideologies getting promoted nowadays are going to cause problems in the future.

An amazing comment in many ways. Not only filled with buzzwords taken straight from certain places of the internet, it also has nothing to do with the original column nor does it address the example it quotes in any sensible way.

The person you quoted argues that you cant blame low birth rates on LGBT rights because Japan has the lowest birth rates in the world and not very good LGBT rights. You then say that there are other reasons to why birth rates are low. The problem is that all of the things listed, you would argue, are also things that affect the western nations more than Japan. Therefore it will be easy to say that again, none of the things you listed seem to have a significant impact on the birth rates of nations.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Just to pick up a thread that has been lost and that I'm curious about... for those who like Ballroom, what are some of the things you like? I'm not being sarcastic here, nor do I intend to challenge you since I haven't seen the show myself, but I am genuinely curious to hear from some fans.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Panayiotis wrote:
The problem is that all of the things listed, you would argue, are also things that affect the western nations more than Japan. Therefore it will be easy to say that again, none of the things you listed seem to have a significant impact on the birth rates of nations.

No, it would be easy to say that none of the things listed seem to have a significant impact on the birth rates of Japan.

Conflating Japan with all nations is what you just tried to do there.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I was a part of the problem instead of being a responsible mod. Discussion that is not specifically about Welcome to the Ballroom should stop now. If posts continue discussing gender politics and the like, then I'll be locking the thread. Sorry folks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14