• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: C93: The Corporate Booths Reveal How Anime is Now Mainstream

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh, thanks for the detauled responses. So overall, I get the impression that stuff like Comiket can exist, and the creators of the official stuff don't mind very much, is because the Comiket attendees DO typically buy the official material (or, in the case of Touhou, is a small enough operation that it doesn't need a lot of money to be sustainable).

Also, thanks for the explanation on how Comiket is divided--I've seen maps that show how much Touhou had dominated, then another when Kantai Collection popped up, so my impression was that Comiket guests will search for the topic rather than the artist. What is more common among the Comiket guest anyway: The guest who is looking for doujinshi done by a particular person, or the guest looking for doujinshi based on a particular franchise?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What is more common among the Comiket guest anyway: The guest who is looking for doujinshi done by a particular person, or the guest looking for doujinshi based on a particular franchise?

You get both, but franchises come and go so people's interests in particular franchises rise and fall. But the most popular artists are INTENTIONALLY put along the outer walls so that their tables can be opened up to the outside with lines stretching MUCH further than the tables inside. Anyone that will have lots of doujinshi are usually along the outer rim or on an end cap. Everyone else USUALLY (not always) has more limited expectations of turnout. (realistically speaking, IF an interior table was really popular, they wouldn't get a "huge" turnout purely as a logistical problem. The tables are crammed in close together and if all the tables around a given table "only" have 1-2 customers at a time, the "popular" table wouldn't be able to handle a large number due to the combination of through traffic and adjoining browsers.

It should also be remembered that:
a) Comiket is a "lottery" style, so who is in it has SOME measure of variance
b) The tables change DAILY. Unlike at US anime cons where artists tables are static all three days, Comiket tables change EACH day, so if you want to see a specific artist you MUST go on a specific day
c) The "bunching" of genres/titles is more for convenience for browsers. Comiket is both large AND crowded, so if the positioning of artists was willy-nilly random, it'd be a nightmare to try to look at various items within the same title. While I think smart phones have improved this SLIGHTLY, the previous way to tell who is where is to look at the catalog, which due to its HEFTY size, you do NOT want to haul around Comiket with you.
d) Considering the above, if you're interested in POPULAR artists (especially professionals who choose to still have works at Comiket), you need to hit them early and be prepared for a significant wait. The most popular circles can have lines that are quite long and in some cases up to even 3 people WIDE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4