• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
What should I see before looking into this?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I would like to know. Was this Godzilla anime dubbed in Los Angeles perhaps?

The studio's based in LA.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
What should I see before looking into this?

Nothing at all. Unless you want to watch other Godzilla content, this is entirely accessible to anyone. I would only just recommend a basic idea of what the creature is.

Actually, I'll just tell you: Monster that comes from under the Earth/Sea, is generally thought to be the product of nuclear waste, potentially powered by nuclear energy in some versions, and can shoot atomic breath, which is basically a laser with incredible power and precision.

You're all set. Enjoy! Smile
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
Apparently I'm going to be the negative nancy here, because I really didn't think this was a good film. The first huge warning sign for me was when the film chose, at about the 10 minute mark, to include a dramatic voiced-over narration flashback of a scene from about minute 2 of the movie. From there cue a lot of technobabble and clunky expository "as you know" dialogue, all completely serious without a hint of self-awareness or fun, and I wasn't looking forward to the rest of the movie.

Once they got down to Earth and monster fights I had some fun with the spectacle of it (and I've loved Godzilla movies since I was a kid), so it wasn't all bad, but whenever the supposed plot or characters took center stage again, a large number of forehead smacks were sure to follow. At no point could I take the self-important moodiness of the film (or main character) seriously at all, but as a pure enjoyment of monsters crashing over expensive military hardware with wild abandon and goofy scifi factions plotting against each other, it was alright. And since that's what the Godzilla movies of my childhood were all about, I guess I can't complain too much. Very Happy

I'm glad other people liked it so much though, and maybe I'll like the second one more! Because if there's one thing I know for sure, it's that as long as they keep making movies for the Big Guy to knock over buildings in, I'll be there putting my butt in that seat!
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Apparently I'm going to be the negative nancy here, because I really didn't think this was a good film. The first huge warning sign for me was when the film chose, at about the 10 minute mark, to include a dramatic voiced-over narration flashback of a scene from about minute 2 of the movie.

Myself found the movie to be overall enjoyable and a fine entry into the Godzilla franchise.
I do wholeheartedly agree with your comment on the opening narration,very much a low point in the film.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
It is a trend for Netflix-produced anime to be LA dubs, so I don't think that will be changing soon.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It is a trend for Netflix-produced anime to be LA dubs, so I don't think that will be changing soon.

Yeah, as it stands now I believe every Netflix original anime has been dubbed in LA.

Maybe that'll change since they're supposed to be dumping $500 million into Canadian productions. Maybe not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
I have not seen the film yet (next week I will), but I can say the following: regardless of the visuals and storyline, it is nice to finally see a Godzilla story Japanese anime style. Also, to be able to be in a Godzilla movie (even if it was just an uncredited extra) is likely a dream come true for many actors/actresses (this includes voice acting).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2