• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Takane & Hana GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
This is one i enjoyed. The premise has potential for squickiness, so kudos to the author that it never felt that way for me while reading it. I've definitely seen much more problematic material from shojo series, lol; this one was funny and entertaining.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As is the norm in this kind of story, this poor treatment the likes of which no one has ever dared to give him instantly fascinates Takane, and he begins to seek Hana out.

This line made me snort. At work. Congrats.

But seriously..I've never understood why this set-up is constantly used. Aren't there already hundreds of other manga with this power dynamic. Clearly it's sold well in Japan if it's being brought here and I'm sure there's a seinen equivalent where the rich ojou-sama immediately falls for some disrespectful guy...I don't know...I like stuff that doesn't recycle the same plot time and time again.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
It's such a funny coincidence how I randomly picked up the first volume of this, raw, (thus not even being able to flip through it). It was simply the cover that sold me with a cheerful looking heroine flirtatiously tugging on a very irritated-looking guy's tie. Anime hyper

That always looks like a good time. And it is. I don't want to stop reading this. Watching a spirited, sharp-witted teenaged girl constantly one-up a spoiled, narcissistic man-child and crush his pride to tiny pieces is VERY enjoyable. This series is laugh-out-loud funny and the age-gap really doesn't feel uncomfortable at all; it's barely noticable when these two interact. Of course, like Rebecca said, the fact that both of them acknowledge their differences makes it better.

Both Hana and Takane are so tsundere about their feels and that couple dynamic is always fun. They're like a boke and tsukkomi duo who nonstop tease each other and of course there is the occasional flowery moment of softness because shoujo :'D

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good love-comedy.

Quote:
Aren't there already hundreds of other manga with this power dynamic.

Something about it feels fresh to me.....I dunno, maybe you'll have to try for yourself to see? I think this author handles it particularly well. Hana is really easy to relate to and surprisingly mature for her age.

I guess you could compare the the protagonists to Tomoe and Nanami from Kamisama Hajimemashita or Yanagi and Kuujou from Last Game but.....that still feels like a big stretch. All three manga are vastly different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1