• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast for Steins;Gate 0 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
I love it when everyone comes back for the dub. Can’t wait to check this out, though I wonder how they will localize Leskinen’s mannerisms and Maho’s interpretation of his speech at the lecture. Maybe they’ll give him a Finnish accent? It’s not going to make much sense if Leskinen speaks English and then Maho speaks the same English at the presentation.
Bondrewd-Sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that most of the original VA cast is returning. Hope that Mayuri's VA will be as good as Ashly Burch. I'm usually a subs guy, but Steins; Gate is one of those series that I like the dub as much as the sub.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Artorias wrote:
Nice to see that most of the original VA cast is returning. Hope that Mayuri's VA will be as good as Ashly Burch. I'm usually a subs guy, but Steins; Gate is one of those series that I like the dub as much as the sub.
She sure is, because its the same VA person#107350 she used an alternative name.
Bondrewd-Sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Artorias wrote:
She sure is, because its the same VA person#107350 she used an alternative name.

My mistake. I thought it was a different VA. Glad I was wrong. Anime smile
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Too bad Colleen Clinkenbeard couldn't be ADR director again, but Cris George has been on a roll, so I'm not mad or anything.

TheMorry wrote:
Artorias wrote:

I've always wondered why she would need to do that. After all, she didn't do so for Attack on Titan (although that might be the heavy Californian input of that dub).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Too bad Colleen Clinkenbeard couldn't be ADR director again, but Cris George has been on a roll, so I'm not mad or anything.

TheMorry wrote:
Artorias wrote:

I've always wondered why she would need to do that. After all, she didn't do so for Attack on Titan (although that might be the heavy Californian input of that dub).
Well perhaps she did that for some reason back in 2012 when Steins gate was released. Attack on Titan was released in 2014. But for now for the sake of being easier for fans they just use her alternative name since they used that name for steins gate.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that AoT was a dub worked out with getting LA people in mind and may have worked it out with the unions in advance. It's a big IP after all.

That same treatment may not have been given to shows like this or Code Breaker so this so she's forced to record incognito.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm wondering if you two guys above this post are the same person. Laughing
Anyway, enough kidding around.

To me, it seems as if the reason why she used Jackie Ross back then was because she was new to dubbing anime and probably just wanted to try it out for fun or experience. If you run into her at a con, she'll sign your Steins;Gate stuff. And similar to what TheMorry has been saying, I, too think that they're keeping the name Jackie Ross for consistency's sake.

All the shows she's done at Funimation that aren't sequels after Steins;Gate, CØDE:BREAKER and One Piece has been credited under her real name. As far as I know, none of those new shows are union. Other than that, maybe she was union back then and then switched to fi-core years later so she could work on both union and non-union projects without worrying about using a pseudonym.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I expected all the English dub cast to return, but it still makes me especially happy to see the names of Nishimura, Tatum and Leigh listed. I have only watched the 2011 show in English, and as a result I was waiting for the English dub to finally start watching 0.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
All the shows she's done at Funimation that aren't sequels after Steins;Gate, CØDE:BREAKER and One Piece has been credited under her real name. As far as I know, none of those new shows are union. Other than that, maybe she was union back then and then switched to fi-core years later so she could work on both union and non-union projects without worrying about using a pseudonym.

Neither was DBZ Kai (2010) which had "Dartanian Nickelback" as Cell during it's first half. Laughing
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I expected all the English dub cast to return, but it still makes me especially happy to see the names of Nishimura, Tatum and Leigh listed. I have only watched the 2011 show in English, and as a result I was waiting for the English dub to finally start watching 0.

Wouldn't be Kurisu without Trina and Okabe without Tatum. Was stoked to see them back, especially since I saw the dub first so to me Trina is the voice of my favourite anime character
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I'm REALLY not feeling Monica Rial as Maho. Maybe she'll play it differently from usual, she certainly can, but I'm afraid she'll use her stock little kid voice because she's short.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
I have to admit, I'm REALLY not feeling Monica Rial as Maho. Maybe she'll play it differently from usual, she certainly can, but I'm afraid she'll use her stock little kid voice because she's short.

She might use her Dante voice from Fullmetal Alchemist because her character IS an adult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1