• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Even Boys Can Become Princesses!': Hugtto! Precure Anime Stands Up to Traditional Gender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emdykay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

I always have to have a skeptical, critical eye when someone claims a show, a magical girl no less, is yuri. Nanoha, Madoka, and even Magical Girl Raising Project are claimed to have yuri in them, yet from what I've gathered, the chances of actually being there are 0% or to soften it a little, extremely dubious as best.
How is this any different from any other ones?

I totally understand the skepticism regarding Madoka and Nanoha, depending on how you feel regarding the "only confirmed outside the show" hijinks Nanoha does.
But Magical Girl Raising Project has a out in the open adult lesbian couple, thats a bloody unicorn of anime and deserves at least that little bit of recognition, even if it is obvioulsy way off base to call this a yuri show or anything.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Nanoha and Fate are obviously lesbian or at least bisexual since they marry each other and adopt a child by the third season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emdykay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Nanoha and Fate are obviously lesbian or at least bisexual since they marry each other and adopt a child by the third season.

The show itself never moves it beyond subtext though, there never is a bland statement or show of those two dating or their orientation and there is no marriage I know of or could remember. Sure, the third season seems pretty invested in trolling the subtext yuri trope to maximum effect by making it basically absurd that the situation is technically still subtext despite all thats going on, but... still subtext. The creators stated though that they indeed are in a relationship, but well not on screen.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression yuri and yaoi "didn't count" to the LGBT peeps because they're made for the entertainment of straight people of the opposite sex. Precure has yuri subtext, yeah, that's part of the appeal. Ruru x Emiru this season is obviously the best ship, but but it's why I see some hate for Harry and Henri because they're being pushed as potential romantic partners for Homare and fans hate that. I can see why. That one scene where the one classmate asks Homare to "teach her what she knows" as they embrace and look like they're going to kiss after she trips pure beautiful bait.

Cute girls, yuri bait, sakuga, and kick ass fights is why so many guys love the Pretty Cure franchise Laughing
Emdykay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I was under the impression yuri and yaoi "didn't count" to the LGBT peeps because they're made for the entertainment of straight people of the opposite sex.

Mostly true for yaoi, in the case of yuri the oppinions are kinda split. Some lesbian fans and creators embrace the term as originally theirs to begin with, of which some are quite accepting of the appeal of the genre for both audiences, others feel they need to distance themselves from male targeted yuri works.
Best example would be Yurihime, the biggest yuri magazine, which originated as a lesbian targeted one and has fully embraced its two audiences.
_Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't you think the article and some posters here are just overthinking it? Pretty Cure is not known to make political statements.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
This episode 33!
The articles write themselves, just wow!
ANN need to do a follow up on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5