• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Even Boys Can Become Princesses!': Hugtto! Precure Anime Stands Up to Traditional Gender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Those aren't really comparable if you ask me. There's nothing inherently tied to gender about being a blader, duelist, rider, or ranger. Magical girl by it's very name is you have to be a girl. Magical girl was originally an offshoot of said tokusatsu genres so it was kind of made with that in mind. If Pretty Cure doesn't want to have a male cure, I see no issue with it. They've had male characters with powers in the past who help out, but I don't see them not being officially a Cure to be a problem any more than there's extra heroes in super sentai who help out the rangers but aren't considered a sentai ranger, or there can't be a male Sailor Soldier so Mamoru is Tuexdo Kamen, not Sailor Earth.

I've got no problem with properties specifically targeted at individual groups of people. My username and avatar come from Transformers, which despite Hasbro's efforts, is still very predominantly a boy's property. My beef is with praising Pretty Cure for doing something like this when it's blatantly transparent just how hollow a sentiment it is coming from them.

At the end of the day, Toei and Bandai aren't really looking to encourage gender neutral ideas with this property. The designs are extremely cutesy and a lot of the themes are based on stereotypically feminine things. The toys are in typical girl play patterns, like role play items, plush and occasionally dolls. Despite being an annually refreshed superhero team that's been around for 15 years, there's never even been a male Pretty Cure. So they're not subverting the idea of what a male hero can be to any large scale.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Cross-dressing has nothing to do with sexuality or gender identity, which is why people oppose to it being co-opted by the LGBT people. The vast majority of men who crossdress are straight and still identify as men. In Japanese entertainment, cross-dressing is pretty common and has a long established history throughout stage plays, television, and comics. It might be seen as a big deal in American culture, but it often gets misinterpreted by American audiences watching Japanese media. You can find it in a ton of shows for all ages.

It's fair to correct me on the technical terminology, but my larger point is still the same: People, even children, should be confident for who they are, neither demanded for their gender, nor labeled for what they are wearing, and certainly not confused that society will choose to define them by a specified classification or definition. This is something that I believe that most children can create for themselves as they develop in age, but I admit in my own personal experience, also not beyond their scope as a sense of identity. Media does play a big part in our understanding of culturally established standards, and this can be confusing or even detrimental, but discussions like these where information is expressed openly can at least provide an opportunity to see more than one viewpoint. Assuming one standard language also makes it more difficult, especially as these words and standards will change over time based on these influences, and because there is no specific recipe or example for a completely adjusted individual. I also agree that an episode of Precure might not be the completely definitive place to address this, or to my own tastes, but at least they are admitting this is a relevant issue. This is not a debate that is going to just disappear. It will continue to grow as an issue as we all gain a platform to express our ideas, and it is better to talk or even argue for a better understanding. This is why I do believe the feelings we have about our minds and bodies, however they are presented, are connected.
mixedfish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
As long as there's money to be made, say and do what you want.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This was a very good episode. I’m surprised that Japanese fans in particular are so supportive of it, given the state of LGBT rights in Japan as of 2018.

I think this is because young japanese are much more supportive to LGBT, unlike older ones. The result of poll regarding same-sex marriage speak for themselves:
Quote:
A 2015 poll found 51 percent of respondents were in favor of same-sex marriage. More than than 70 percent of those in their twenties approved, compared with only 24 percent among people in their seventies. Fewer men than women were in favor of the change.

MarthKoopa wrote:
Boys quite literally cannot be princesses, but a prince sure can wear a dress if he so chooses to.

There's a different meaning behind the word "princess" - if you would consider the literal meaning, then no one in GoPri was a princess, because they aren't some king's daughters (well, exepct for Towacchi).

I think that in this case precure's creators used word "princess" in regard of style and way of living as princess, not being a one literally.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This was a very good episode. I’m surprised that Japanese fans in particular are so supportive of it, given the state of LGBT rights in Japan as of 2018.

I don't think this episode have anything to do with LGBT movement support.

The message is more about boys and girls have the wright to want to be what ever they want and dress the way they want, without other people criticize them.

There are still some prejudice is a men cross-dress as a girl and if they want to do works that females usually do. And the same happens with a woman.

And this i what the message is in this episode. Be what you want to be and do what you want to do, not matter what is the traditional role is.

About LGBT in Japan.
Recently airbnb make a study of the more LGBT friendly cities and Tokyo in the category "Night live (number of bars, night clubs, etc) " come in 3 place in the world.

The state of LGBT in is more as it usual in Japanese society. As long as you don't make a fuss about what you do or what your hobbies are or what is your sexual orientation, you can do and be whatever you want. Just keep it to your private life. That is what Japaneses society is about everything.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I don't think this episode have anything to do with LGBT movement support.

I think that this episode has a subtle message that LGBT movement tries people to realise - there's different types of people in this world and everyone should be treated equally, you should respect their choice and don't let others mistreat people because of this.
This is a good lesson for japanese kids and I hope that small steps like this would eventually bring great changes in old-fashioned mind of japanese society.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
Just to throw this out there, but should these kind of difficult identity and gender issues be something that a series aimed at children should be teaching? After seeing the comments here, most are affirming this. However, I question if, as adults, we should be teaching children sexual and gender issues, which have deep and long-lasting meaning. Children do not know their left from their right, and I don't mean that in a political sense. It is up to adults to train and teach them the values and skills they need for living. To one extent or another,
children are blank slates. Some here have stated that doing so might be considered abusive.Yet, not doing so, could that also not be considered abusive? If we follow the scientific dictum of input equals output, then does that not mean that teaching children nothing will produce children who believe in nothing? Likewise, if we teach them certain values, is that not more likely to instill those values upon them than something or someone else? Hence, it seems that maybe teaching them about LGBT, gender identity, or other complex issues should wait until their teens when these issues are more applicable to them instead of forcing them to deal with the harsher realities of the world of adults. That said, LGBT equality is an issue worldwide that needs to be addressed in better ways. I just don't know if a children's series is the right place to discuss it.

And this is exactly what is wrong with American society (and I mean the whole America, not just USA or North America, since these attitudes are even more prevalent in Central and South America). Keeping children in darkness until they are "old enough to understand" will only make them more liable to extremes, let it be becoming bullies to those different, mentally unstable, because they don't know how to grasp their own sexuality and/or gender identity, or, in very extreme, but not as unusual as we would like, cases, even more keen to suicide, since they don't know how to handle their own feelings about things they weren't taught. In my opinion, the sooner children will learn about such a things, the better for them as well as the whole society.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
I think that in this case precure's creators used word "princess" in regard of style and way of living as princess, not being a one literally.

Uhm, no. They used "princess" in regard how Henri was captured by a monster and had to be rescued like in a story. It had nothing to do with his way of living.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:

I think that this episode has a subtle message that LGBT movement tries people to realise - there's different types of people in this world and everyone should be treated equally, you should respect their choice and don't let others mistreat people because of this.
This is a good lesson for japanese kids and I hope that small steps like this would eventually bring great changes in old-fashioned mind of japanese society.

It can be perceived that way, and is a good message.

But I don't think that was what this anime writers had in mind. The message is more about gender roles and don't bulling or telling people what to dress and what to do, than a message about respect for LGTB.

In western terms is like the interpretation of the music "Let It Go" that began as song about stopping doing what people expect, be free of restrictions and hiding some magical characteristics, and become a metaphor for coming out because some people starting to see it that way even if that wasn't the first intention of the writers.

Like everything, it all depends the way people interpret things when is not a direct, free of different interpretation message .
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
1) Clarification: "Princess" was "hime" in the Japanese, and along with "otome" (maiden), often refers to a damsel in distress. It wasn't really a pun, but a lack of a word for "damsel" in Japanese. So when he says "I guess I'm the damsel/princess now. Please save me!", the reply "Guys can be princesses, too!" is associating the two as a single concept.

2) The episode was NOT literally solo'ing in on LGBT issues, but it was still using LGBT issues specifically to talk about doing things without letting societal norms tie you down. LGBT is still relevant to the episode.

3) Crossdressing isn't always accepted among LGBT communities because it's not exclusively L, G, B, or T. That's why some people use "LGBTQ+" and other variations of the term to represent all queer themes. In the end, L, G, B, and T are fighting for different specific things, but they've united under a title to become stronger under a wider theme of identity. Crossdressers hit the grey area of it sometimes being a hobby, but that isn't always the case. Crossdressing, even for straight, cis men, can be a form of identity searching.

4) LGBT issues can get complex, but children are very, very capable of understanding them on a basic level of "Why can't guys wear dresses/skirts?" or "Why can't girls like other girls?"(etc.), which is what this show did. Historically, guys wore skirts and skirt-like apparel as the norm. They also wore high heels before women were ever allowed to. Women chose to wear high heels later in hisory. Eventually it became near-exclusive to them. I don't know the full history of skirts or dresses, but it sounds like a similar case. Society made these rules. Not biology or nature. Kids will get the message.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:

They used "princess" in regard how Henri was captured by a monster and had to be rescued like in a story. It had nothing to do with his way of living.

My bad, I should have wrote "or" way of living as princess, because I had GoPri in mind when I wrote it. Yup, in Henry situation the word "princess" used more like in a way of a trope.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:

But I don't think that was what this anime writers had in mind. The message is more about gender roles and don't bulling or telling people what to dress and what to do, than a message about respect for LGTB.

Of course there's no direct comment about LGTB, but like I wrote - this is first step for kids to perceive that peoples could be different and this is normal. And I think that this message quite in favor of japanese lgbt community, even if precure's creators weren't intentionally made it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I don't think LGBT people can "co-opt" something that they practically invented.

You have to remember that for centuries, "crossdressing" was one of the only ways for trans people and gender nonconforming folks to express themselves openly. A lot of those folks weren't as "straight" as you think they were.

I think it's a bold claim to say transgender people 'invented' cross-dressing given cross-dressing has existed for thousands of years before any kind of modern interpretation of being transgendered, or most modern societies for that matter. The most recent study I saw was from 1997 and most men who cross-dressed identified as straight. Keep in mind drag queens are something else entirely, and drag queens in anime are generally portrayed as okama with stubble, muscles, and are openly flamboyantly gay.

Usagi-kun wrote:
It's fair to correct me on the technical terminology, but my larger point is still the same: People, even children, should be confident for who they are, neither demanded for their gender, nor labeled for what they are wearing, and certainly not confused that society will choose to define them by a specified classification or definition. This is something that I believe that most children can create for themselves as they develop in age, but I admit in my own personal experience, also not beyond their scope as a sense of identity.

I'm not disagreeing with you on people should do what they want, I just think Japanese tropes get misinterpreted is all. Most male characters who cross-dress in anime still identify as men and correct people when they get called a girl.

Primus wrote:
I've got no problem with properties specifically targeted at individual groups of people. My username and avatar come from Transformers, which despite Hasbro's efforts, is still very predominantly a boy's property. My beef is with praising Pretty Cure for doing something like this when it's blatantly transparent just how hollow a sentiment it is coming from them.

At the end of the day, Toei and Bandai aren't really looking to encourage gender neutral ideas with this property. The designs are extremely cutesy and a lot of the themes are based on stereotypically feminine things. The toys are in typical girl play patterns, like role play items, plush and occasionally dolls. Despite being an annually refreshed superhero team that's been around for 15 years, there's never even been a male Pretty Cure. So they're not subverting the idea of what a male hero can be to any large scale.

To be fair, Toei and Bandai themselves weren't actually saying anything as strong as that. It's the fans who are praising it for being progressive or gender role shattering. Unless the writers come out and make a statement, it's more or less fan's stating their own interpretation of a work. It was essentially a typical 'girls can be heroes too' message and changing a brother's mind on sexist views. And his said sexist views is what turned him into a monster of the week by the villains. That's all. Admittedly, I think this article doesn't help by taking the 'even boys can be princesses' line out of context when it was clearly a response to the joke that Henri was mistaken for a princess and got captured by the oshimaida.

And to be frank, given one of the earliest manga and anime ever produced was about a princess who cross-dressed as a prince in order to fight evil, people are a bit late on discovering that anime defies gender roles.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

I'd advise paying closer attention to when you're watching Hugtto in the future, that way you won't make such obvious mistakes over the content of the episode under discussion.

Same to you.
The episode was much more about Emiru and girls in general than crossdressing and LGBT rights. Henri is a model, so sometimes he wears feminine clothes more because it fashionable.

If Hugtto will touch sexuality I suspect that it'll be with Emiru's brother. Funny way he was looking at Henri at the end of the episode. Anime catgrin
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Usagi-kun wrote:
It's fair to correct me on the technical terminology, but my larger point is still the same: People, even children, should be confident for who they are, neither demanded for their gender, nor labeled for what they are wearing, and certainly not confused that society will choose to define them by a specified classification or definition. This is something that I believe that most children can create for themselves as they develop in age, but I admit in my own personal experience, also not beyond their scope as a sense of identity.

I'm not disagreeing with you on people should do what they want, I just think Japanese tropes get misinterpreted is all. Most male characters who cross-dress in anime still identify as men and correct people when they get called a girl.

If this your interpretation, then we do agree in principle. I apologize if I sound defensive, but everything in this response is exactly what I commented in my original post about a crossdressing character who confidently identifies as male, but you chose to nitpick what I was saying, and the language I used. I don't know if you take part in crossdressing or LBGT+ issues, and frankly it is none of my business, but watching anime does not make you an expert on Japanese expression or any these cultural nuances. When you take this stance, this is how your arguement sounds on an anime related forum; however, if neither of us are Japanese, nor have we lived in Japan long enough to experience this debate, then we both cannot make any concrete claims other than our media-related impressions. In the rest of my previous post that you did not quote, I addressed this issue as well, but applied a sense of empowerment to the freedom of expressing our opinions for a global benefit, particularly when a person actively seeks and is given to opportunity to as much information as openly as possible. On that point, hopefully we agree as well.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
mixedfish wrote:
As long as there's money to be made, say and do what you want.

You should probably never watch Revolutionary Girl Utena, you might get kinda upset. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5